Sun Visors

DonMuncy

I know there have been recent threads on visors, but wanted input on mine. Since Rosens are so expensive and LASAR seems like they are not going to have any soon, I am attempting to develop some that may be made available if feasible. Attached are photos of my "proof of concept" model. This one is for the models which have the side mounting attachment.

How much interest is there on MS if I can produce them. How much would you be willing to pay for a set. I do not anticipate going to the effort and cost of an STC, but it seems clear to me that installing/changing visors is a minor modification with only an A&P sign-off or elf installation.

They are a little labor intensive to build, but I think I could justify a limited number in the .1 AMU range if anyone has an interest.

Visors 001.JPG

Visors 006.JPG

Visors 007.JPG

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Wakeup said:

Don,

I would be very interested for my B.  Please keep me updated. 

Thanks,

Troy 

Does your B have the side mounts. I thought the earlier models mounted them on the center post. But I don't know which ones did and didn't.

When I finish with the side mount ones, I will try to work on some for the center post mount. One of the nice things about mine (and LASAR's and Rosens), is that you can swing them around to shade the side windows. Designing a center mount one that would do that is pretty problematic, without making them way too complex. Comments and suggestions welcome.

Out of curiosity where did you get the material? I think I have the LASAR wiser visers? Anyway I am going to take mine to a local plastics/lexan shop in Stockton and see if they can duplicate them and how much. I will let you know how it turns out! Right now I'm still in project mode with my "new to me" Mooney…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The shade itself is a smoke colored plexiglass (It is possible it is Lexan, but I don't think so). I got it from a local plastic distributor here in Dallas. I'll be glad to get as specific as you like. I, too, have LASAR visors and one cracked. I got the material, made a template and turned me out a couple. I don't remember how much it cost, but it was probably under $15. If your source is too expensive, I can get it here and turn out one (or whatever you need) for the cost of the material and shipping.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Danb said:

Don they look nice I've had rosens on my bravo for 10 yrs and always have to tighten them up.  Hopefully you can solve that dilemma 

Only time will tell. This is a continuing problem with any articulating joint. You need enough friction to hold the adjustment and not so much as to preclude adjustment. Maintaining that friction level is touchy.  I am a little worried as my design relies on a relatively small area of contact between the "ball" and the hole in the apparatus.

2 hours ago, BDPetersen said:

I wonder if the larger plastic-like Ram mounts offer some inspiration.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/ram11-13584.php?clickkey=1520519

If there was a RAM ball that screwed into the threaded hole in our airplanes this would be a simple, inexpensive solution.

I appreciate the comments and suggestions. The flexible arm and the ram mounts would both work, but both are bulky and not as aesthetically pleasing. I am certain I could rig a ram mount double ball joint at the attachment point on the plane. Would any of you prospective consumers tolerate that.

PTK,

I have never seen (up close) any Rosens. I am also hampered by not having a milling machine. All these grand "make me rich" schemes I come up with, wind up with me giving things away or selling them at virtually cost of materials. I haven't conned my finance department (read spouse) into springing for a mini mill.

Don,

I haven't worked on my visors in a while now due to the fact I don't really want to remove the headliner and fab a mount for them yet (but I will). My plan is to finish the clamp mount that goes around the center tube (windscreen post) which will support a 3/16" or 1/4" rod that runs along the top arc of windscreen, the visors will mount out on the ends of the rod but I want to remove the headliner and tie it into something for more rigidity. The center mount will also incorporate a clip of sorts to help support the visor when they are rotated up or down in the forward position. I am lucky in the fact that I have a small lathe & a 3 axis CNC milling machine along with CAD/CAM design software. While I tend to make things too complicated, feel free to have a look, I'm open to suggestions "Articulating Sun Visors"

29 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

Don,

I haven't worked on my visors in a while now due to the fact I don't really want to remove the headliner and fab a mount for them yet (but I will). My plan is to finish the clamp mount that goes around the center tube (windscreen post) which will support a 3/16" or 1/4" rod that runs along the top arc of windscreen, the visors will mount out on the ends of the rod but I want to remove the headliner and tie it into something for more rigidity. The center mount will also incorporate a clip of sorts to help support the visor when they are rotated up or down in the forward position. I am lucky in the fact that I have a small lathe & a 3 axis CNC milling machine along with CAD/CAM design software. While I tend to make things too complicated, feel free to have a look, I'm open to suggestions "Articulating Sun Visors"

Your center tube attachment looks good. If you can find an attachment point behind the headliner, even better. Although if you only want and "up and down" visor, it would probably work OK. I don't really expect vibration to be a problem. Who cares if your visor wiggles. Not like a shaking instrument.

Unfortunately. I think (don't know), that the tube behind the headliner is structural. If you don't worry about putting a hole in it, it will probably be fine. There are plenty of holes in the frame tubes elsewhere (eg. where tabs are installed to mount window plastic.) After all, the factory mounted their visors in/on that same tube.

If I had a more or less horizontal rod going across the top of the windshield, I would probably try to mount an arm on that rod to mount the shade so it would swing over to the side. I find the ability to shade the side windows to be quite important. I recognize that double arm is pretty complex.

I think you need a much bigger and more modern mill, so you can donate your existing one to me. :) 

Keep us posted as to your progress.

A double arm would be great! Mount it to the center post. Run the arm to the corner, out in a hinge, run another arm section with the shade back to the center and clip it in. Flip,it up and down, fine. If the sun goes off to the side, up clip in the center and fold the shade back along the side.

When the sun is further back than our little shades will block, I'm just SOL. You, however, can rotate the other arm and extend the shade backwards along the side. Even better, leave it in the "normal" side position and rotate both arms on the other shade over  behind yours! If needed, I can sketch something up in the morning and try to attach it. Who says brainstorms don't work?

Don
The tube behind the headliner is structural but an adel clamp on the ends should hold everything just fine. When my wife asked about my lathe I told her it was to make square things round, then she asked about the mill which I replied to make round thing square, she just gave me that look and walk away...lol

Hank
I really want two separate visors, flip the first one down (amber) for hazy days which we have a bunch of here due to the fires in Mexico, then flip both (1 amber, 1 grey) down for sunny days, I haven't given up on the idea yet, just going to be a pain to machine them...

• Like 1

I've been in a couple of 421's with Rosen visors that adjust nine ways from sunday, the arms are extruded channel that slide into each other. I can visualize the 2 shade idea, just cant get it to paper, might be one of things you just have to do then draw it up...lol