Sun Visors

DonMuncy

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 1:21 AM, DonMuncy said:

The shade itself is a smoke colored plexiglass (It is possible it is Lexan, but I don't think so). I got it from a local plastic distributor here in Dallas. I'll be glad to get as specific as you like. I, too, have LASAR visors and one cracked. I got the material, made a template and turned me out a couple. I don't remember how much it cost, but it was probably under $15. If your source is too expensive, I can get it here and turn out one (or whatever you need) for the cost of the material and shipping.  

Don, might I suggest lexan, as I had the ultra bitchin' guaranteed to increase TAS 5kts LASAR visors on my F when I owned her, and the Plexiglas would tend to break easily around the mounting hardware and holes especially for the copilot side where it would be moved out of the way frequently for ingress.

12 hours ago, FlyDave said:

Lance - those look huge! Do they fold up out of the way well?

Don - Do you sell all the parts for these?

Dave,

Sure, since I make the parts, I can sell any of them. As I have posted before, I am not trying to make money with the things I turn out. I try to get the cost of materials and a little extra to keep me from feeling like I am wasting too much time having fun with aviation stuff. PM me with what you are interested in.

Don

12 hours ago, RLCarter said:

Hows that sketch coming Hank? Always good to look at different ideas

Sorry, I've been tied up with major home projects and visiting parents. To top it off, the new computer at work won't run our old AutoCAD, and I've been losing the fight with ProE. But that class is next week, so it will get better.

Here is a quick hand sketch of a center-mounted visor with additional flexibility beyond that offered by my often-inadequate [but heavily crazed!] factory visors. Being a quick sketch, details of the hinges and attachment are not shown, but rotation at both ends of the rods are required. Mounting the visor to the arm is also not shown, simple Adel clamps as discussed above should work fine. In the excitement of the initial idea, I thought it would be possible to combine both shades along the side of the cockpit, but alas, that is not to be. They can be combined across the front corner, though, as shown at the bottom of the page.

The curve at the top eliminates on of my pet peeves about sunvisors in the plane. The ones in the car, even in my old truck, seal pretty well against the ceiling and block sun above the visors. The ones in our planes don't do this . . . Experiment with cardboard and wire to get the curves right, to fit your windshield when mounted wherever on your center post your block can go. Oh, that's right, I didn't show any details for this piece, either, as several are discussed above.

The joys of wiring in a workshop in the basement while ripping out part of the finished basement ceiling for access to the plumbing. All of my copper piping is pitted and leaking, and about to be replaced. Without these two concurrent projects occupying my time, along with the CAD issues at work, I may have produced a decent drawing. But this is enough to get you started if you think it's worthwhile.

Hmmm, picture won't upload. "There was a problem processing the uploaded file -200"  Drag and drop wont work either. Resized it really small, maybe it will take now. 428 kb

Visor 3.jpg

Edited by Hank

Good idea Hank, "necessity is the mother of invention" now if we can convince the FAA that not everything needs a mountain of paper work to be functional. I consider sun visors as a "Safety" item and have no problem bolting them on my plane.

• 2 weeks later...

My efforts re visors goes on. I turned out a set for one of our Mooneyspacers, using a Ram mount and a fabricated ball mount in the standard attachment hole. It seems to work well but I still think the Ram mount looks bulky.

I have now fabricated some larger ball joints which appear to be up to the job of holding the visor.

As usual, comments, suggestions or interest appreciated.

beta visor2.JPG

SAM_1525.JPG

SAM_1526.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I now have my production under control and am beginning to start working on a design for the center post mounts. Can some folks chime in and let me know if all the models have at least 1/2 inch clearance between the center post and the windshield.