New panel for our 252

terbang

Our 252 is back in service since last week after a complete panel redo. I posted a few pictures on fb and was asked there to provide a few more details. And here they are:

We bought the plane in 2012. It was based in Germany before, where we live. However, it was on the N-register and we don’t intend to change that. From the beginning we wanted to go for ‚more glass’ in the panel. In 2013 EASA mandated that under IFR all COMs had to be 8.33kHz capable in European airspace by 2014. We had a Garmin GNS480 as COM1, which is not 8.33 capable and a GMX200 as MFD. The IFD 540 was not available at that time and having a 480, a used 430 was not an option, so we decided to replace the GNS480/GMX200 by a single GTN750. We had that job done in December 2013. As we planned to cross the Atlantic in March 2014 (what we did) we didn’t want to have the whole panel changed before that. We didn’t feel like setting out to this adventure with a panel we were not completely familiar with.

After we were back, we went on with our plan. Still a decision had to be made which way to go with the PFD/MFD: Aspen or Garmin. We had played around with both of the two extensively in OSH and at AERO (the biggest GA trade show in Europe). I read everything I could read about the two boxes and it was a close call. However, the fact that I had done my IFR training on a G1000 equipped 182 and we already had a Garmin device as GPS and hoped for better interoperability, we decided to go for the G500.

On the way back from America to Europe in 2014 our AI quit. And this damn thing decided to do so in Kangerlussuaq, Greenland. We had landed at 50+ airfields in the US where it would have been easy to have it repaired. Not so in Greenland, of course. We where stuck there for a week and don’t ask how much it was to get an AI there. After this experience I didn’t want to have a mechanical gyro in the panel, not even as stand-by. Therefore we opted for the Mid Continent SAM as stand-by. There was no other certified glass option at the time we had to consider.

With the G500 and the SAM it was very tempting to get rid of the steam gauges completely. So finally, we had to decide on the engine monitor: JPI or EI. Again, we had tried them in OSH and at AERO. Especially some reviews here on MS made us opt for the EI MVP50.

The G500 in our installation features synthetic vision and is equipped with a GAD43e to interface with with legacy components in the avionics stack. Besides the ADF, the DME and the NAV2 this is the autopilot. While the navigation instruments just display on the PFD, the AP is tightly coupled. There is altitude and vertical speed preselection from the G500 as well as roll-steering. We have only a couple of hours under the belt with our new toys so far, but the the coupled procedures worked really nicely in our first test flights. Not visible on the pictures, there is a Skyview TAS installed, which was there when we bought the plane. It displays on the MFD and the 750 what works fine, as well. Finally there is a WX1000 Stormescope and a panel mount satellite phone (COM3) which were already there an which we kept.

Before:

a0065191.JPG

Now:

DSC02879.jpg

Edited by terbang
  • Like 11

I am happy to see you decided to keep your PMA7000B audio panel. Will you be going to AERO-Friedrichshafen Terbang? While I won't have it at the show (bringing the PAR200A and PMA8000BTi) there is now a plug n play upgrade for your panel, known as the PMA7000BT. Bluetooth and a more robust user interface.

I will be co-exhibiting with Avionik Straubing, Adam Aviation, and hopefully with Air Team. If you attend, I'd enjoy meeting you, this will be my first AERO!

Sincerely,

Mark Scheuer

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mscheuer said:

I am happy to see you decided to keep your PMA7000B audio panel

It was already installed when we bought the plane, but we couldn't be happier!

15 hours ago, Mscheuer said:

Will you be going to AERO-Friedrichshafen Terbang?

Unfortunately not his year. As you might guess, my budget is somewhat limited currently ;-)

BTW the job was done by Avionik Straubing. 

Hope to see you next year,

Gunter