thought

Yetti

I hangar at KGTU, where fuel has been $2.95 for a few weeks.  I love it, but it makes for lines.  --Anyway, I was at T74 (Taylor) on Monday flying a gyroplane.  The $2.94 per gal explains the line I saw at the fuel tank.

-And for those that have not been, they have an airport car and the BBQ is pretty good.

5 hours ago, chrisk said:

--Anyway, I was at T74 (Taylor) on Monday flying a gyroplane. 

The first time my wife and I saw a couple of gyroplane on the line we both looked at each other and said "hell no"   Each time we see one we say the same thing.  The one the guy had to stand up and start the rotor turning just reinforced my complete fear that the rotor would stop turning.  If I can't understand it, I ain't flying it...

Gyrocopters are not helicopters, the engine doesn't turn the rotor. Some have an engine assist to start them turning.

Takeoff is done using the airplane propellor to accelerate down the runway. Airflow through the rotor makes it turn; having it turning before starting the roll just makes for a faster, easier takeoff. The spinning rotor creates lift, as there are just enough of wing stubs to provide roll stability. And forward motion from the propellor keeps the rotor turning. Stopping the rotor would be quite difficult . . .

They look like lots of fun to me. Then I see what they cost, and decide that I'll pass.

9 minutes ago, rainman said:

I start gyro lessons with Dayton at Lone Star Magni Gyro at Taylor tomorrow. I usually get BBQ at Louis Mueller when I'm there for lunch.

Please post a pirep and pictures so we can all live vicariously through you!  :rolleyes:

39 minutes ago, Hank said:

Gyrocopters are not helicopters, the engine doesn't turn the rotor. Some have an engine assist to start them turning.

Takeoff is done using the airplane propellor to accelerate down the runway. Airflow through the rotor makes it turn; having it turning before starting the roll just makes for a faster, easier takeoff. The spinning rotor creates lift, as there are just enough of wing stubs to provide roll stability. And forward motion from the propellor keeps the rotor turning. Stopping the rotor would be quite difficult . . .

They look like lots of fun to me. Then I see what they cost, and decide that I'll pass.

You can explain all you want. still looks like the rotor could stop and then where would you be.

I got to fly a gyro copter a couple of weeks ago. It is a lot harder then it looks. The thing starts swinging around, I try to hold the stick as steady as I can, but it still swings around. After about 10 min. I could hold it straight and level, but any maneuvering and it started swinging again. Much harder then a helicopter.

it was a Cavalon.

3 hours ago, Hank said:

1 liter = 33.8 oz; 1 gallon = 3.8 liters.

Either way, $3/liter is pricey! Come on down, the last I saw at 06A was $3.35 several weeks ago. And it will be 70°F/21C tomorrow.  :lol:

When you land at a little airport for breakfast (the preverbal $100 bacon and eggs) and need gas to get home, you really can't argue about the price at the pump.  LOL   Its down to about 1.90 per litre now thanks to dropping fuel costs.

10 hours ago, Hank said:

It's just a horizontal windmill. Blow air across it, it turns. There are no gears to jam, no power to lose, no fuel to exhaust (for the rotor). 

So when you stall it.  What happens?  Just curios, still never getting in one.  evar!   Is the nut that holds the rotor on still called the Jesus nut?

11 hours ago, rainman said:

I start gyro lessons with Dayton at Lone Star Magni Gyro at Taylor tomorrow. I usually get BBQ at Louis Mueller when I'm there for lunch.

Dayton is lots of fun to fly with. You will have a blast.  And the weather is supposed to be really nice.  (Sunny and 75).

As for flying a gyro, I have basically been flying an experimental gyro that is type certified in parts of Europe.  It's very different than the home built death traps.   Anyway, I have found:

• They are very stable in the air and actually really easy to fly. 
  • They are slow and you really understand where the wind is coming from. About 100 mph is top speed.
  • They are safe when flown in the designed flight envelope.  --You will always want positive G's. 
    • They do not stall.  But, they can tumble if you unload the rotors (when adding full power at the same time).  You always want substantial positive G's.  --This is no more scary than a plane that can be spun and not recovered (i.e. Mooney at 2000 AGL).  You just don't fly in that part of the envelope.
    • You can make as tight a turn as you can.  It's impossible to exceed the positive G's limits.
    • The US gyro field has a segment that lacks professionalism.  It's been plagued with bad designs, self trained pilots, and hot dogs who push the limits of the flight envelope, and fly into trees and power lines.  In Europe, gyros are more common and have a better safety record. (I don't know how it compares to light aircraft.)
  • They can land in a very short distance, and at near zero speed. Landing is relatively easy.
  • Taking off is way more difficult than in an airplane.

11 hours ago, C-GHIJ said:

When you land at a little airport for breakfast (the preverbal $100 bacon and eggs) and need gas to get home, you really can't argue about the price at the pump.  LOL   Its down to about 1.90 per litre now thanks to dropping fuel costs.

Tillsonburg.... $1.39 plus HST ....  February special