Non Wass 530 and holding patterns

Joe Larussa

First question: Is the holding pattern depicted on the 530?

Non-WAAS Garmin simulators are not very precise, but they stil seem to handle holding patterns and related procedure turns.

Second question: Are you able to fly procedure turns automatically with your GPSS system?

I am only a PP, not a CFII.

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, Joe Larussa said:

So I have a non Wass 530 and a Stec 60 autopilot with GPSS. Why won't it fly a holding pattern?

thanks

If you are talking about procedure turns, you would need to have GPS Steering capability installed. If you are referring to your garden variety holding pattern, the 530 doesn't have the capability to create them.

5 minutes ago, carusoam said:

First question: Is the holding pattern depicted on the 530?

Non-WAAS Garmin simulators are not very precise, but they stil seem to handle holding patterns and related procedure turns.

Second question: Are you able to fly procedure turns automatically with your GPSS system?

I am only a PP, not a CFII.

Best regards,

-a-

The holding pattern is the missed approach for an ILS. It will fly it to the

holding fix but then just keeps going. The hold is depicted on the 530.

This is the first time Iv'e tried using the autopilot to fly the missed approach and hold.

4 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

If you are talking about procedure turns, you would need to have GPS Steering capability installed. If you are referring to your garden variety holding pattern, the 530 doesn't have the capability to create them.

I do have GPSS steering installed. This would be the published missed approach.

I think he is talking about published holding patterns. I have an S TEC  60 autopilot and a GPSS converter in my Saratoga, along with a 430 W. It does fly published holds and procedure turns.  The problem may have something to do with having to take the navigator in or out of suspend mode if it is non-Wass, but I am very fuzzy on all of that since I have always had a wass version of the 430. 

Joe,

Remind us again, did you get to the root cause of your ILS system flying with the error/off-set?

What procedure were you flying. Airport, runway, procedure.  It helps people see the situation you are encountering while minimizing the goose chasing...

As Bravoman is explaining the GPS box is a collection of receivers including ILS, localizer and VOR. Some button pushing may be required at the proper time to let the box know to go from ILS and localizer mode back to the GPS mode of navigation.

The manual for GPS box operations must be 100 pages of deep detail... Have you seen any Garmin Videos online?

Best regards,

-a-

6 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Joe,

Remind us again, did you get to the root cause of your ILS system flying with the error/off-set?

What procedure were you flying. Airport, runway, procedure.  It helps people see the situation you are encountering while minimizing the goose chasing...

As Bravoman is explaining the GPS box is a collection of receivers including ILS, localizer and VOR. Some button pushing may be required at the proper time to let the box know to go from ILS and localizer mode back to the GPS mode of navigation.

The manual for GPS box operations must be 100 pages of deep detail... Have you seen any Garmin Videos online?

Best regards,

-a-

I was able to get the offset situation fixed. After the remote gyro overhaul and cleaned slaving switch all seems normal.

I was flying the missed approach from the 22L ILS from KMHR in Sacramento. Flew the missed procedure, switched

to GPS on the 530, engaged GPSS and it flew to the holding fix but just kept going. I switched to heading mode then 

and locked altitude and flew it that way instead. Been watching tons of videos online but haven't seen anything like

this.

• Like 1

Only the WAAS versions provide full GPSS guidance during holding patern and DME arc. See http://www.garmin.com/us/products/intheair/waasupgrade?#fragment-1

"The new software will further enable full GPS steering for procedure turns, holding patterns and DME arcs (with compatible roll-steering autopilot)."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, carusoam said: Joe,

Best regards,

-a-

I was able to get the offset situation fixed. After the remote gyro overhaul and cleaned slaving switch all seems normal.

I was flying the missed approach from the 22L ILS from KMHR in Sacramento. Flew the missed procedure, switched

to GPS on the 530, engaged GPSS and it flew to the holding fix but just kept going. I switched to heading mode then 

and locked altitude and flew it that way instead. Been watching tons of videos online but haven't seen anything like

this.

Joe -- how do you engage GPSS with the autopilot? In my plane, I need to have the plane in HDG mode and then I can activate GPSS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just now, Guillaume said:

Only the WAAS versions provide full GPSS guidance during holding patern and DME arc. See http://www.garmin.com/us/products/intheair/waasupgrade?#fragment-1

"The new software will further enable full GPS steering for procedure turns, holding patterns and DME arcs (with compatible roll-steering autopilot)."

Looks like we have a winner.

That's the kind of detail it takes to put a CFII (or somebody with skills) in the seat next to you.

thanks for sharing the detail.

Question 3:  When flying a string of VORs, with the GPSS engaged, the AP is in heading mode.  The GPS clicks off each VOR (GPS WPT) the GPSS supplies the heading details and the plane automatically follows the path between VORs (WPTs)?

If it stays on course and doesn't turn towards the next VOR, this leads me to believe...

- The GPS signal may not be doing the navigating.  The VOR receiver might be engaged still...

- The GPSS system isn't being engaged properly.  Heading mode vs Nav mode vs Proc mode...

- There is a setting in the GPS that is not allowing the next WPT to be selected automatically. There are some things like turn prediction options where the GPS used to give a heads up notice to start your turn based on your ground speed. Check to see if something is not turned on properly or has been turned off.

Stuff that comes to mind for a PP, not a CFI or mechanic.

Best regards,

-a-

11 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said: Looks like we have a winner.

Bummer

Well Joe, get it upgraded! I really like the GPSS capability. My STEC 60-2 always did a nice job of flying the plane. But since adding GPSS, it is amazing to see how much better it will fly. Here is an LPV approach I flew with GPSS coupled:

3 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Well Joe, get it upgraded! I really like the GPSS capability. My STEC 60-2 always did a nice job of flying the plane. But since adding GPSS, it is amazing to see how much better it will fly. Here is an LPV approach I flew with GPSS coupled:

Great video, but I'm very nauseous.

3 minutes ago, Marauder said: Well Joe, get it upgraded! I really like the GPSS capability. My STEC 60-2 always did a nice job of flying the plane. But since adding GPSS, it is amazing to see how much better it will fly. Here is an LPV approach I flew with GPSS coupled:

Great video, but I'm very nauseous.

LOL! I always seem to be motivated to make these videos on bumpy days! Brett Nicolette used to tell me "climb brother, climb!" Hard to do on an approach!

Did somebody mention The IFD slide in replacement?  It would go well with a side of Aspen...:)

Somebody detailed how he installed an IFD to replace a non-WAAS G440 for 1.5 AMU.  May require some luck to make this lightening strike happen again in a different place.

Best regards,

-a-