Alpha AOA M20R GX

Txbyker

I finally got my Alpha Systems AOA dialed in on my Mooney.  I will offer some tips.

1.  Set the initial pin lock for the wing probe to 40 degrees.  The manual says 50 degrees and they come in 5 degree increments.  Don't waste your calibration flights.  Thanks StevenL.

2.  I ordered the heads up display option.  For the HUD you mount the AOA indicator flush into your glare shield facing up and there is a small glass door that mounts over it.  To do this you have to cut a square hole in your glare shield and find room under it to mount the device.  I haven't gotten the courage to cut the glare shield just yet.

3.  If you have a G-1000 model don't waste your money on the full flap IO option.  This option allows you to calibrate the unit in a full flap configuration and get very accurate AOA when configured with full flaps.  The IO depends upon a connection to a full flap switch of which the G-1000 does not have, only the indication on the display. 

This video is my first GoPro video so be nice.  

Russ

• Like 6

Nice to see how one AOA implementation can go. Is it just the way the camera was mounted, or were those approaches pretty darn shallow? Seemed like you were pretty low on final approach, shooting for a short-field landing or something.  Could just be the POV of the camera though.

On 2/17/2016 at 2:12 PM, Jeff_S said:

Nice to see how one AOA implementation can go. Is it just the way the camera was mounted, or were those approaches pretty darn shallow? Seemed like you were pretty low on final approach, shooting for a short-field landing or something.  Could just be the POV of the camera though.

I think it was a combination.  The wide angle setting kinda made it look lower however the last approach was under the foggles on a LOC at the 640 ft min.