Unofficial 2016 Sun N Fun Thread

Marauder

11 hours ago, Hank said:

Peter, you're arguing "facts" that you read on the internet. Mike is presenting facts gained by visiting KISM last week. I know which one I believe. Stop in soon and tell us if your experience matches what you've read. I'd really like to know before I fly down for Sun n Fun. Thanks!

Not so Hank. Everyone is entiltled to their opinion. But I must tell you, respectfully, you are out of line and so is Mike. 

I do call ahead to know the details and I keep notes. I did call this FBO. Spoke to a very nice lady who answered all my questions. She described it as a mom & pop operation and they cater to all, from gliders to jets. 

My point is that we better be real careful and think real hard before deciding to slam folks on a forum like this. We can inflict real damage. A more constructive approach would be to discuss with them our concerns. Even invite them to present their side of the story. This is how misunderstandings are solved. Unless ofcourse the real intent is to inflict damage.

Based on the info I was given I would have no problem visiting Kissimmee Jet Center at KISM, purchase 10 gal of fuel and park for up to five days for free. Alternatively, I'd gladly pay their extremely reasonable 15$ daily parking with no fuel purchase. But why not top off the tanks? Going to buy fuel somewhere and they do have the lowest prices in the entire area and guaranteed.They make it so easy, it's a no brainer!

• Like 1

It is disheartening to read the recent bad reviews on Kissimmee Jet Center. My family and I flew into KISM and parked at KJC for 7 days this past September while visiting WDW. KJC staff was courteous on arrival. I purchased ~30 gallons of fuel and din not pay a tie down or other fees. The facilities weren't great, but we had a limo on the ramp and the facilities were no real concern. On departure day, we had a late departure due to Florida storms and the staff stayed a few minutes late (without any fuss) to see us off. Despite recent reviews, I will give them another shake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Brandontwalker said:

It is disheartening to read the recent bad reviews on Kissimmee Jet Center. My family and I flew into KISM and parked at KJC for 7 days this past September while visiting WDW. KJC staff was courteous on arrival. I purchased ~30 gallons of fuel and din not pay a tie down or other fees. The facilities weren't great, but we had a limo on the ramp and the facilities were no real concern. On departure day, we had a late departure due to Florida storms and the staff stayed a few minutes late (without any fuss) to see us off. Despite recent reviews, I will give them another shake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So was I Brandon. They were a decent place from an economic standpoint and probably still are. Hopefully, management gets the message ( I did pass on my feelings to them) and has the employees and policies step up to friendly courteous service once again.

12 hours ago, Hank said:

Peter, you're arguing "facts" that you read on the internet. Mike is presenting facts gained by visiting KISM last week. I know which one I believe. Stop in soon and tell us if your experience matches what you've read. I'd really like to know before I fly down for Sun n Fun. Thanks!

Thanks Hank. I try to avoid negativity entirely, but Sunday's experience was of such a level of rudeness I felt compelled to let those thinking of coming to SNF know of if. This post was prompted in part by my previous positive endorsement of this same facility. My son Nick and I have reached out to the management to let them know so they may be able to correct. 

Looking at Zephyrhills and the PIREPS about jumpers, gliders etc just to make life easier I think we will change plans to Tampa Executive.. Still arriving on the 5th and leaving the following Sat. 9th.

Staying at Country Inn Suites Tampa East. $140 a night plus tax..Not a bad price.

I'll be watching here for any particular activities or get together involving MS folks, Mooneys, Aspen, JPI, Garmin, etc. I think I'll want to spend one night, perhaps 2 but at this point I'm flexible. I don't think I'll hang around for the weekend though. I see CarolAnn Garrett is a presenter on Tuesday ... others? 

14 hours ago, PTK said:

Based on the info I was given I would have no problem visiting Kissimmee Jet Center at KISM, purchase 10 gal of fuel and park for up to five days for free. Alternatively, I'd gladly pay their extremely reasonable 15$ daily parking with no fuel purchase. But why not top off the tanks? Going to buy fuel somewhere and they do have the lowest prices in the entire area and guaranteed.They make it so easy, it's a no brainer!

I have nothing to add to the Kissimmee Jet Center reports, but I rarely ever DON'T buy fuel when I land at a transient airport.  I feel this is a common courtesy and a way to thank the FBO operator for providing me a roof, bathroom, and whatever else they spend money on for my use during my stop.  Sometimes it's a challenge, with multiple short legs, but planning ahead usually allows me to add at least 20 or 30 gallons during my stop.  I was taught this by my flight instructor, and thought this was the norm.   I know I have never paid a ramp fee because of not purchasing fuel.  

• Like 1

Plus one for SSI.   It's great.  There's a barbecue joint right on the end of the runway that has real good stuff.  

I don't think I'd be too interested in the arrival slug during the event unless the field was IMC.  Seems like a Vatsim fly in.  

I'd also consider the availability of solid tie downs that you'd be more likely to find at places other than LAL.  Not just for you but for everyone around you.   Remembering this...

Take care and have fun no matter which way 

brad. 

I was at Tornado n Fun, with screw-in tie downs. Walked around afterwards looking at the tie downs that held and the ones that didn't, like the Cessna on my right wing that ended upside down, windshield to windshield with the Bonanza to this right. So I bought a screw-in set that EAA was selling, and threw away the cheap poly ropes and kept my good endspliced ropes. Lots of yellow Claws pulled out of the sandy ground, the big nails don't go in as far as the screwin things, and the EAA model is very heavy duty.

The yokes were secured with bungees, two holding the yokes to each other, and two more from the right seat front bar to the right yoke. My left wheel rolled forward three inches, the right one didn't move. Lots of stuff blew onto my plane, and I have a very small dent on the rudder that now three IAS have said is fine.

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

The USAF did this in 2007. I've been flying oversized cargo since the 1980s. Rookies.

emoji1.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Many years ago their was an aviation article about a heavy cargo from the U.S. to Seiko in Japan.

I think it was in a Antanof ??? .   

It was a 24ft by 12ft by 5ft thick Granite precision surface table,,  cant remember the weight but it was a lot,

seem to remember it was a record for a heavy lift.

it was not scared to fly...

On 2/18/2016 at 8:54 PM, Hank said:

I was at Tornado n Fun, with screw-in tie downs. Walked around afterwards looking at the tie downs that held and the ones that didn't, like the Cessna on my right wing that ended upside down, windshield to windshield with the Bonanza to this right. So I bought a screw-in set that EAA was selling, and threw away the cheap poly ropes and kept my good endspliced ropes. Lots of yellow Claws pulled out of the sandy ground, the big nails don't go in as far as the screwin things, and the EAA model is very heavy duty.

The yokes were secured with bungees, two holding the yokes to each other, and two more from the right seat front bar to the right yoke. My left wheel rolled forward three inches, the right one didn't move. Lots of stuff blew onto my plane, and I have a very small dent on the rudder that now three IAS have said is fine.

I took spiral/screw tie downs spikes to SnF and they worked great at LAL. OTOH, the same tie downs were useless at MAPA reunion at ERV - I might as well have been trying to screw into concrete as into the soil along the closed runway serving as the ramp.

5 hours ago, mpg said:

Many years ago their was an aviation article about a heavy cargo from the U.S. to Seiko in Japan.

I think it was in a Antanof ??? .   

It was a 24ft by 12ft by 5ft thick Granite precision surface table,,  cant remember the weight but it was a lot,

seem to remember it was a record for a heavy lift.

it was not scared to fly...

Granite weighs about 162 #/cuft. so 24'x12'x5" would be almost 10 tons. Before bracing and crating.

On 2/19/2016 at 6:27 AM, Bob_Belville said:

Granite weighs about 162 #/cuft. so 24'x12'x5" would be almost 10 tons. Before bracing and crating.

not 5 inches,,,    5 feet!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. Another MooneySpace member and I are planning on flying down together to Winter Haven. We have reservations at the Ramada north of Lakeland. If others are planning on going, let us know. We will fly down on Tuesday, attend Wednesday and Thursday and fly back Friday.

18 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Just a quick update. Another MooneySpace member and I are planning on flying down together to Winter Haven. We have reservations at the Ramada north of Lakeland. If others are planning on going, let us know. We will fly down on Tuesday, attend Wednesday and Thursday and fly back Friday.

I intend to bring the same 2 friends who came with me a couple of years ago. (Jason and Joey - made famous in the SnF video.) We may bring a tent, chairs as well and do the camping thingy. Our schedule is not set yet but I would think we'll be there Tuesday night, maybe Monday or Wednesday as well. Hope to see you there. 

• Like 1

Thinking about it. I would fly in to LAL and camp in the airplane.  It will  be my third time doing LAL and camping. Previous two arrivals were "1" minute to shutdown for the air show and "5" minutes before shutdown for the air show. The first was straight from North Georgia, the second was after dropping my wife at Orlando. Very little traffic cutting it that close....NO I didn't mean to do it that way :-)

Edited by Tony Armour

14 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

I intend to bring the same 2 friends who came with me a couple of years ago. (Jason and Joey - made famous in the SnF video.) We may bring a tent, chairs as well and do the camping thingy. Our schedule is not set yet but I would think we'll be there Tuesday night, maybe Monday or Wednesday as well. Hope to see you there. 

Oh, I meant to add for any F snobs out there that LAL is about a 4 hour leg and my poor little M20E will have full fuel, 3 full size men, tent, etc.:rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said: Oh, I meant to add for any F snobs out there that LAL is about a 4 hour leg and my poor little M20E will have full fuel, 3 full size men, tent, etc.:rolleyes:

Oh Bob, don't go all "little man" on us now...

Bob forgot to mention that he is and his friends are from the Kingdom of Lilliputia. Their motto? "Rudder extenders for everyone!

Sorry Bob. Small joke for a big guy.

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

Bob forgot to mention that he is and his friends are from the Kingdom of Lilliputia. Their motto? "Rudder extenders for everyone! emoji1.png

Sorry Bob. Small joke for a big guy. emoji854.png

Well, I make up in width for what I lack in length. You now owe me 2 brews... and an IPC. :rolleyes: 

• Like 1