Ramp checked...

They do and have (as documented for decades) disassembled airplanes far enough to require an A&P to reassemble. 

If you are within the "border zone"  (as noted in many internet commentary lists to be within 100 miles of any border, their claim not yet adjudicated) they feel they have the right to stop and inspect without any court order or warrant. If you are say 300 miles from the border and they want to inspect you might have better grounds to refuse.  

Yes, I am aware of the border crossing issue and the vagueness of it.  I am a lawyer.  If they want to perform a compelled search there is nothing you can/should do to stop it.  But you have set up a claim for a "taking."  If you consent, and they decide to take the plane apart, you get nothing to put it back together, and if you decline consent it is possible they will not mess with your plane.

We can't hide very well.  I would probably tell them "here's where I'm going, here's when I'll be there, if you can get a warrant why don't you have someone meet me there, with an A&P at your cost."

I have done border crossings several times and never had an issue.  It is the guys who show up out of nowhere, not at a border, that would concern me.

• Like 2