Reprinting "Those Remarkable Mooneys" book

Tracy Ball

Hi Tracy - I am in the Detroit area and would be more than happy to fly over to meet you sometime. I can’t do it in the next couple of months though due to my schedule. Probably would be more fun for you when it is warmer anyway. A couple months ago, I purchased the Mooney refurbished and given away by AOPA in 2000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

A really interesting walk through time... regarding Warren’s Millenium Mooney...

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2001/april/pilot/aopa-millennium-mooney-2000-sweepstakes

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2008/april/03/aopas-grand-prize-millennium-mooney-on-display-at-oshkosh-july-26-august-1

There was a story every month regarding Major steps used in refurbishing a great airframe...

kind of fun reading through the old biblical tails... :)  I can’t believe how long it has been since the first stories of the better than new 172 were printed....   this was the best, when the better than new, Millenium Mooney was being prepped...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Hi all,

Tracy here. I made a simple website this weekend that has more about the books my father has written and will announce when the Mooney book is ready. There is also a mailing list to sign up for if you want to be notified by email when the book is ready for purchase. If you have given me your email address via the survey I put up at the top of this thread, you're already set for the email list. 

And of course, I'll announce news here too. 

Cheers and thanks!

Tracy

http://www.thoseremarkablemooneys.com/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, carusoam said:

The cover plane is N20XR. From the book, page 195: "1994 Mooney M-20R Ovation. The Lone Star paint design honored Mooney's Texas home. The 10,000th Mooney produced (also an Ovation) carried a modified version of this distinctive paint design and was delivered during the 1995 EAA Convention at Oshkosh, Wisconsin."  Here's a photo of the cover: TRM-Book.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/18/2018 at 2:56 PM, Tracy Ball said:
On 2/18/2018 at 8:52 AM, carusoam said:

Tracy,

Any idea what the tail number is or serial number, for the Lone Star painted Mooney you have there?

Best regards,

-a-

N20XR was the first Ovation and the one used for certification (serial number 29-0001) and the FAA says that Mooney still owns it.

But another one in the same paint scheme, in June of 1995 was sold to  Whoopi Goldberg. I'm not sure how long she owned it.

• Like 1

Mooney airplanes have a rich history of modifications (Rocket Engineering (Rocket, Missle, Turbo Bullet), Mod Squad, etc...).  It would be nice to have a section of the aftermarket mods, who did them and end results.  Also, there is a host of people who have highly modified Mooney Airplanes.  Many owners of these planes are technically minded and the fleet reflects that diversity.

John Breda

• Like 1

An updated page of suppliers for Mooneys bits and pieces could help support the printing costs of the new book.

Mooney windows.

Mooney interiors.

Mooney Fuel tanks.

Mooney instrument panel updates.  Adding FF, carb temp, AOAi, GPS, AP, waas approaches, colorscreens....

Speed Brakes, O2, AC, and Fiki anti-ice.....

Mooney paint.

Mooney one piece belly panels.

Thinking out loud again...

-a-

• Like 1

Great to hear from you Tracey.

What’s the new job like?

We had a new thread open the other day... a group of M20 and M20A pilots discussing the really early Mooneys they have....

Hope your Mooney multitasking skills are getting sharper!

Best regards,

-a-

• 7 months later...

Tracy, 

many Mooney factory pilots have a ton to contribute, some with Mooney still, some no longer.  This could be a larger project of accumulating information and interviewing - Wes, Mike, Bill Grebe, our own Don Kaye and Paul K who have taught a boatload of people, etc.

The final resting place of the military trainer may be an interesting if not sad story, as is what happened to the molds for many of our older versions.  

In the context of mod works and it’s other iterations, Rockets, and specifically the factory 231–>252–>encore upgrade along with STCs and probably a factory approved /non STC version is interesting for many, along with some of the latest Acclaim and beyond flavors, including the trainer project that hasn’t been.  

Im curious as to how many different projects and changes Mooney has studied over the last 10 years, and an updated interview of Mr Wheat and others would be key. 

Getting stories from Paul From Lasar, Top Gun, Don and others would also make it interesting for those that don’t know much about our airplanes.

Happy New Year!

Hi all, I'm hoping to get back on the book early this year. My job and helping out my mother has eaten nearly all of my free time. But not to worry. I haven't forgotten about it. I'll post updates here and on thoseremarkablemooneys.com.

If you'd like to be on the email mailing list, there is a link on the site above where you can sign up.

Thanks for your patience,

Tracy

• Like 1

• 2 years later...