Reprinting "Those Remarkable Mooneys" book

Tracy Ball

Hi Mooney Enthusiasts,

My name is Tracy Ball and my father was Larry Ball, Author of "Those Remarkable Mooneys". The book is currently out of print and I’m looking to reprint it. But the cost of reprinting it will be prohibitive as it will need to be transformed into a digital printer’s file. A small run of 2000 books is around $11,000. So before I invest this money or run a Kickstarter to raise it I first wanted to know if there was enough interest from in buying the book or an ebook.  

I’ve created a very short survey that will help me better determine interest. Please take a moment to complete it:

Thanks so much for your time!

Cheers,
Tracy Ball
503-805-1149

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tracy Ball said:

Hi Mooney Enthusiasts,

My name is Tracy Ball and my father was Larry Ball, Author of "Those Remarkable Mooneys". The book is currently out of print and I’m looking to reprint it. But the cost of reprinting it will be prohibitive as it will need to be transformed into a digital printer’s file. A small run of 2000 books is around $11,000. So before I invest this money or run a Kickstarter to raise it I first wanted to know if there was enough interest from in buying the book or an ebook.  

I’ve created a very short survey that will help me better determine interest. Please take a moment to complete it:

Thanks so much for your time!

Cheers,
Tracy Ball

Welcome to the forum. Good luck on your endeavor.

those numbers equate to $5.50 per. A discount bookstore would sell a specialty book like that for around $15-$25 

Those sort of numbers makes sense to me percentage/dollars wise if not a little on the low side.

I Don't understand the digital conversion issue as I have zero experience in the field? What costs $11000 to copy a book? 

We all in the Mooney world I'm sure would support you. I hope it works out for you.

David

50 minutes ago, Mcstealth said:

Hi David, 

Thanks for your interest. The cost comes from having a high quality printer do a copy as close to the original version as possible. I would sell the book around $39.95 which is what my dad sold it for 10 years ago. In addition the whole book would have to be scanned in page by page with color photos being scanned in separately when the originals are available. It's very labor intensive. I've had several quotes and researched it extensively and this is just what it costs. It's shockingly expensive! : ( 

Cheers and thanks, 

Tracy

50 minutes ago, Mcstealth said:

Welcome to the forum. Good luck on your endeavor.

those numbers equate to $5.50 per. A discount bookstore would sell a specialty book like that for around $15-$25 

Those sort of numbers makes sense to me percentage/dollars wise if not a little on the low side.

I Don't understand the digital conversion issue as I have zero experience in the field? What costs $11000 to copy a book? 

We all in the Mooney world I'm sure would support you. I hope it works out for you.

David

• 1 year later...

Tracy, I received a copy of your book for Christmas. My sweetheart found it at Half Priced Books in Austin. I'm thoroughly enjoying learning the history of my plane from your father. I hope you complete your quest to reprint the book.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you considered self publishing with Amazon? They can print the book for you with your art or they can sell it digital. The royalties are the same but they manage it for you. A lot of us would probably like to purchase a digital copy. You can avoid the upfront cost with a digital distribution  

-Robert 

Edited by RobertGary1

This might be helpful...

Giving an example of an MSer publishing a book that came out in various formats.... available on Amazon....

Tracy may already have a relationship with the Dad’s publisher.  

Either way, we have a lot of Mooniacs with electronic devices that can be used for book reading.

We have CBs that enjoy the lowest cost of the information.

We also have people that enjoy the hard cover version for displaying on a shelf in the hangar-home's ready room. :)

It would be cool to buy a hard cover version and get an electronic copy for reference. Read one and put it on the shelf.  Keep the other for reference while on the road airway...

PP thoughts only. No book writing experience at all....

Best regards,

-a-

Hi all,

Yes, I will be going through Amazon Self Publishing. The book will look different in layout than the original but will have the same info, new info and the same photos. I'm using a software called Vellum to recreate the book. The original book doesn't exist digitally - it exists as film flats that measure something like 5 feet by 4 feet. Scanning those was going to be many thousands of dollars.

The reason this has been so difficult is that I spent about five years looking for a publisher to reprint the book — with no success. Another couple of years passed before technology caught up and Amazon was able to do print on demand and software became easier to use. Dad's other books (about Beech) are all still in print through Cable Publishing:

https://cablepublishing.com/shop/page/3/

Cheers,

Tracy

• Like 2

Additional updated references ....

if you have room...

• The monthly news letter that gets copied around here... Mooney Flyer two great authors
  • Mapa and their training program they provide... the two people team that runs it are fantastic.
  • Mooney Summit.    bettering the breed... another two person + team of great people.
  • Mooney Service centers. I have favorites in Canada, NJ, and TX, and soon for me, the Carolinas...
  • Thanks to Craig who started MooneySpace, our community is tighter connected...
  • Mooney Caravan.  Formation flying by ordinary Mooney pilots.
  • The Mooney factory, see Jolie's video Boots on the Ground

Some ideas that came to mind while reading your updates...

Best regards,

-a-

• 1 month later...