$10 ADSB IN?

cliffy

I've had one of the dongles for a couple of years and used it to play around with Software Defined Radio.  As mentioned above it was originally designed to use with laptops to recieve TV signals.  A few years ago a group hacked the drivers to it so that the user could set frequency, gain, bandwidth or sampling rate desired. It just streams the digitized IQ data back to the computer where software algorithms demodulate the data. Because the demod is done in software instead of hardware it doesn't care what the modulation scheme is.   Not bad for a $10 device.  This is the same device used in the homebrew Stratux.

Here is a slightly better one that I have used to capture the 978 out transmission from my plane, it is FM modulated.  I was able to demodulate and parse my information from it.

978 capture.JPG

• Like 2

This is basically the core component of the 'Stratux' which is the SDR dongle, Raspberry Pi, and some other glue but the price is closer to $120, several Kickstarter campaigns are working on productizing it..... Supports Foreflight, WingX and others.

http://stratux.me/

http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-communities-and-interests/homebuilt-aircraft-and-homebuilt-aircraft-kits/resources-for-while-youre-building/building-articles/instruments-and-avionics/live-weather-and-traffic-for-less-than-$120

I built a Stratux for about $90.00 and it works very well in my car and everywhere else but inside my J. I haven't spent much time troubleshooting it because my focus has been on flying my new plane... I suspect that since I have the box clipped to the back of the front passenger seat, the J is acting somewhat like a Faraday cage. I just need to figure out how to get the antenna outside the airplane in an approved fashion... Below is what it looks like. AVARE is awesome by the way!!!

20160211_194153.jpg

Edited by jonhop

On 2/12/2016 at 7:48 PM, jonhop said:

I built a Stratux for about $90.00 and it works very well in my car and everywhere else but inside my J. I haven't spent much time troubleshooting it because my focus has been on flying my new plane... I suspect that since I have the box clipped to the back of the front passenger seat, the J is acting somewhat like a Faraday cage. I just need to figure out how to get the antenna outside the airplane in an approved fashion... Below is what it looks like. AVARE is awesome by the way!!!

I'm using a Stratux as well, although the setup is not quite as clean as yours :)

I have had great success by taking the GPS antenna and suction-cupping it to the rearmost window.  It then connects to the Raspberry Pi via USB, which I've velcro-d inside the hat rack.  The ADS-B antennas are with the Raspberry Pi in the hat rack.  I have not had any reception issues with GPS or ADS-B, and my iPad connects to the wifi from its yoke mount.