Looking for voice annunciator

Magnum

Have you ever forgotten the gear?  Has anyone for that matter (but remembered to put it down?).  I realize that many do forget and end up in a gear-up landing.  This was not meant to be obnoxious, just a true question.  Have you personally forgotten to put the gear down?  In training I had my instructor pull power on me during the end of my downwind leg (third flight in my Mooney during the insurance qualification and training period), and I turned for the runway to ensure I'd get there.  As we got close, I put the gear UP for in my mind I had practiced for this and thought that I would glide until I knew I had the runway made, and then put the gear down.  But, I had already lowered the gear at midfield.  The buzzer sounded, and I realized what I had done (and I don't know if my instructor was too happy with me, but it was a good learning lesson).  I put the gear right back down, and we landed - or we went around, I'm not sure which at this point. 

I do know that the former owner of my aircraft forgot once on a go-around due to a plane pulling out to take off while he was on final.  He went around, but it messed up his normal mental checklist pattern.  He realized it too late into the flare and the rest is history.  Always use checklists.  Very little damage occurred to the aircraft, but it does now have a new engine and new prop.  This was back in either 2002 or 2003.  He just forgot to put it down after going around.  That's why I check three times before landing:  One on downwind when I put the gear down (Johnson bar - and after It's locked into place I give a good tug to make sure it is in fact locked in place), GUMPS and double check on base, and then triple check on short final as I'm over the fence to make sure I have three green lights. 

Opinions from those who have a gear warning system ("Bit--ing Betty") have you ever found that you did not put the gear down and this saved you from a gear-up landing?

And, last but not least, I'm not trying to hijack the thread.  As Magnus asked, what other voice enunciators are available on the market?

Thanks for the info. Actually I just wanted to install one for the autopilot disconnect warning (right now it uses the same buzzer like the stall warning). I bought the AV-17 now, because when I take the panel apart I can connect the Engine Monitor, Vaccuum, Fuel Flow, Gear and Stall warning, too. In addition I was thinking about "improving" the gear warning like it is in other aicraft: When the flaps are lowered > 15° it will generate a warning regardless of airspeed and throttle setting. 

Magnus

• 9 years later...
On 2/22/2009 at 5:55 PM, Piloto said:

Check http://www.flyingsafer.com/Products.htm I have their landing gear voice annunciator p/n 2040 for 6 years and works like a charm. It definitely alerts you if you forget the gear.

José

Hi Jose,i am looking for a voice annunciator,can you tell me around how much it cost with instalation?Thanks