Lost my engine on takeoff at 200ft

FloridaMan

Several months ago I lost my engine on takeoff at around 200ft and 120mph. I wasn't going to post anything about it, but I'm posting at the behest of others who thought that sharing my experience might save somebody's life. Here is what happened and what I did. The end result is that nobody was injured and the airplane was undamaged. The cause was FOD entering the #4 cylinder and destroying both spark plugs on initial climb out. The FOD was never found. I have an advanced graphic engine monitor and there was absolutely no indication of an imminent or pending failure. I fly between 150 and 250 hours/yr. I keep close tabs on the maintenance of my airplane, the only people that I allow to touch it are highly reputable and competent. And I'm saying this because I make a significant effort to eliminate myself from the groups and behaviors that make up accident statistics. I don't care who maintains your airplane, how many hours are on your engine or if it's brand new, this is something that can happen to you too. 

It was a hot day back in June; outside air temperature was above 90. Field elevation was a few hundred feet, winds were 9G16 with the windsock dancing perpendicular to the runway. I was close to max gross with two souls on board, full fuel and baggage. I was given an intersection departure on an 11,000ft runway. I declined the intersection departure and spent several minutes in my long taxi to the end of the runway. On takeoff, I accelerated down the runway with the intention of reaching Vy while in ground effect because of the shifty winds, hot temperature and weight of the airplane.

Within seconds of pitching up, my engine because noticeably quiet, as if the mixture was out. I look down, verify the handles are all full-forward, look over the cowling and see what looks like maybe 2000ft of runway remaining with a field at the end. There are powerlines and a neighborhood at the end of the field. I was given a sage piece of advice by another pilot in the past: "Remember that when the engine stops making power, the airplane no longer belongs to you. It belongs to the insurance company." I did not hesitate to pull the throttle to idle, stood on the right rudder, dropped the gear, pumped in full flaps, slowed down and then dropped down towards the field with the rudder still at full deflection, pulling back on the yoke to add as much drag as possible. I frequently operate out of short fields with obstacles and I've found when fast and high that getting rid of airspeed before altitude shortens landing distance. Tower calls me, "Is everything ok?" "I've lost my engine."

The field was a terraced down-sloping run-off field covered in weeds about four feet high. I forced the plane down fast, I'm guessing between 80 and 90 mph, on the mains because I knew that otherwise I would not be able to stop in time. The plane plowed through the weeds becoming airborne multiple times while barreling down the terraced field. I had full control authority. I had dropped the gear to add drag; it ended up being the right decision not only because it saved the aircraft, but it meant that my control surfaces remained undamaged and I was able to continue flying the airplane. I went from 120mph and 200ft to stopped in less than 4000ft. I stopped about 30 yards short of the neighborhood. In seeing it approach I was preparing to dig a wing into the ground if I had to. The only thought that wasn't related to flying that I had, while plowing through the tall grass, was "shit; is this it?" Upon stopping, I notice I still have the mic keyed. I tell the tower that "we're ok." They tell us emergency services are on their way. I started to turn off switches, then realize that we just needed to get out of the airplane. I had forgotten to unlatch the door, but I don't think that I would've had time to do so. 

Upon recovery of the airplane, the engine ran like crap. It was backfiring and popping and the #4 cylinder was completely offline. It was nice at least knowing that there was something wrong with the airplane. The most important decision that saved my ass was declining the intersection departure, and I bet that ground controller that gave it to me appreciated it as well. That first decision made the second one, to land immediately, possible. Had the terrain beneath me been less hospitable or had the field gone on forever, I might have attempted to nurse the plane along. I had split second to accept the one viable option at the time and took it without attempting to further diagnose the issue. 

Because it was a controlled field, the FSDO was immediately involved. All of my pilot and aircraft records were scrutinized. 

IMG_5219.JPG

Edited by Antares
  • Like 14

Well done!  I too typically decline intersection departures for that very reason... taking off is the most dangerous part of our operations in single engine planes and we all know the runway behind us is useless.

Did you get the plane back in the air?  Did you get any further grief from the FSDO?

• Like 1

Great job!!! Good decision making is always a factor in success. You are to be congratulated!

I always decline intersection departures for this very reason. Somewhat like Antares, twice I've had engine trouble in flight. Both times, my good choices resulted in success. It's why I don't fly low, and it's why I don't depart and climb out over the swamp at night. I perform pattern climbs to altitude before crossing the swamp. I'd much rather land at an airport, engine or not.

18 minutes ago, Hank said:

Congratulations! I'm sure had a monitor been on you, the graphs would all have spiked . . . Glad no one was injured. Getting the plane back is a bonus.

I was very clear-headed through the entire thing, and I know because I remembered it so clearly. I also made notes afterwards. My passenger was terrified. I've been much more afraid seeing a car coming towards me across a barricaded median than I was during this landing. 

This was a scenario that I had rehearsed in my head. If I had to put it in the trees, I would have done so; I would have not considered turning back. 

Edited by Antares

Whenever possible I try to takeoff into the downwind. I had a fuel injector line loose that with no power I was able to land back at the airport, since I was already on the downwind. FOD ingestion on piston engines are rare due to the air filter. The filter bypass boost open on the ground could have allowed the intake of an FOD. 

Were these fine wire plugs? I can't imagine a damage massive plug.

José  

Edited by Piloto

6 minutes ago, Piloto said:

Whenever possible I try to takeoff into the downwind. I had a fuel injector line loose that with no power I was able to land back at the airport, since I was already on the downwind. FOD ingestion on piston engines are rare due to the air filter. The filter bypass boost open on the ground could have allowed the intake of an FOD. 

Were these fine wire plugs? I can't imagine a damage massive plug.

José  

REM37BY. Ram air inspection is a preflight item. 

Edited by Antares

Great details. Thanks for sharing them.

One question, if I may....  We're you using the rudder to slip to help slow the A/C down?

Simply brilliant combination of risk management and airmanship!

Losing a cylinder on take-off, the plane is very close to not having enough energy to maintain level flight. As a pilot, you will not know if you have enough power for some time. At 200', fully loaded, on a warm day, nobody is going to judge you for not saving the plane while you save your butt.

The photo of the plane still on its legs in the grassy field is Icing on the cake!  

Best regards,

-a-

Awesome airmanship.  I practice slips into airports.  A great tool to be proficient/comfortable.  I highly question whether I would have pulled it off in such an emergency with circumstances as you listed them.  Thank you for sharing.  Nice to quarterback a success vs. an alternative outcome.

8 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

Excellent job.  I wonder why it shut down. Theoretically it should continue running ceroighly but on 3 cylinders. 

I wondered this myself. My theory is that possibly the FOD caused a valve to stick open momentarily and that the damage may have occurred after I pulled the power. It wasn't a complete power loss and it wasn't a popping and misfiring like it did after restarting on the ground, but it was like the engine got a lot quieter -- sortof like if you block the intake of a car engine. That's why I initially thought the mixture was set super lean, even though it's never moved on me and it's part of a final checklist that I execute while positioning on the runway. 

The best way to describe it is the way the engine sounds in this video of the 182 with a failure just before the 3 minute mark: 

Edited by Antares

A few years ago, I had a cylinder go out on takeoff at Nut Tree airport (uncontrolled and at dusk). I wasn't as far as you on the takeoff and was not yet airborne. A few seconds later and I would have been in the air with a very rough running engine. It would have not climbed. Fortunately, I was able to slow down and exit the runway and coast it to a tiedown spot. Congrats on saving everyone and the plane.

I had a cylinder compleatly quit on my M20F once, the plane still flew at about 100 KTS. The engine ran very rough. I flew it about 15 miles that way. It didn't get quiet, if anything it got louder because I went to takeoff power on the other three.

was there anything else wrong? 

7 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I had a cylinder compleatly quit on my M20F once, the plane still flew at about 100 KTS. The engine ran very rough. I flew it about 15 miles that way. It didn't get quiet, if anything it got louder because I went to takeoff power on the other three.

was there anything else wrong? 

My Dad flew quite a bit further than that after a cylinder swallowed a valve; he landed without issue. Obviously the risk is that FOD from the bad cylinder gets sucked in and takes out one of the remaining 3.  In my Father's case, that happened after the cylinder was replaced. The mechanic missed a piece of valve in the airbox and Dad lost #1 climbing out for a test flight. He flew a normal but likely tight pattern and they started over again. He was at the mercy of whoever the mechanic was in Winner, SD

Great job.  Glad it all worked out.  I'm curious about the FOD.  Was there damage to the piston, the head or the valves?  FOD will usually do a number on those as well.  Is it possible that this was detonation due to a partially plugged injector?  Hot temp, full power and a lean mixture (clogged injector) are the theoretical causes of detonation.  The textbooks describe the spark plugs as being damaged or destroyed (don't ask me which textbooks, this is from bad memory).  Perhaps due to the short time frame at power, you prevented other damage.  Did they pull the injector after the incident?  Shortly after my bladders were installed I had a similar incident on climb out.  We had no choice but to fly the pattern. With reduced manifold pressure, the roughness went away.  I had another mechanic look at if for me due to my schedule and he claimed the mixture was lean.. He was talking about he idle adjustment, so it never made sense.  12 years later it is still a mystery.  I always suspected a dirty injector due to some small FOD from the tank work.

2 hours ago, Shadrach said:

My Dad flew quite a bit further than that after a cylinder swallowed a valve; he landed without issue. Obviously the risk is that FOD from the bad cylinder gets sucked in and takes out one of the remaining 3.  In my Father's case, that happened after the cylinder was replaced. The mechanic missed a piece of valve in the airbox and Dad lost #1 climbing out for a test flight. He flew a normal but likely tight pattern and they started over again. He was at the mercy of whoever the mechanic was in Winner, SD

I had an engine swallow a valve in 1988 in climb out over So. Jersey. The engine vibrated severely and I pulled the throttle back to idle. I was at 5000', good weather on an IFR flight. I advised ATC (Atlantic City approach) and requested a vector to nearest airport. I was able to make it to N81 without incident, the engine was producing enough power to taxi to the ramp. The exhaust valve was burned in 2 and the valve head was rattling around in the cylinder. The piston took a beating. In those days we had a EGT probe on a single cylinder and were trained to run 25 ROP. In hindsight I suppose the engine was run in Busch's red zone much of the time.  

Just curious.  You mentioned when the engine quits the plane now belongs to the insurance company.  Will your insurance pay for the engine repairs?  If you would have landed wheels up would the insurance then pay for an engine or pay out hull value if the plane can't be repaired?  I'm glad that everyone was safe and things turn out good.  I'm just wondering how the insurance companies deal with different accident situations.