Finally.... Instrument Rating

Congratulations! It's a long road, but you're there now. It is more of a "license to learn" than your PPL was. Weather briefings will take twice as long. But you will complete more flights, and the satisfaction is tremendous! 

Congrats!

Do you have a busy part in your area like NYC or LAX?  It's amazing how easy it is after you have prepared for it for so long...

If you don't, come down for a NJMP fly-in.  fly through some crowded airspace on purpose, because you can.

Best regards,

-a-

I'm just starting week four of intensive flight training for my IR. Was planning my check ride next week but discovered nose gear turn limit damage today. :-[

I found the flying to be extremely challenging, especially the communications and procedures.  There's so much stuff to learn that it's hard to imagine ever having a handle on all of it. So many things you can screw up and most of them are really important.  

Anyway, congratulations to the original poster and I sure hope Im making a similar announcement in a few weeks. 

On February 5, 2016 at 11:33 PM, Matt Michael said:

I'm just starting week four of intensive flight training for my IR. Was planning my check ride next week but discovered nose gear turn limit damage today. :-[

I found the flying to be extremely challenging, especially the communications and procedures.  There's so much stuff to learn that it's hard to imagine ever having a handle on all of it. So many things you can screw up and most of them are really important.  

Anyway, congratulations to the original poster and I sure hope Im making a similar announcement in a few weeks. 

Passed my ifr check ride last month.  My experience was similar to yours.  The first 20 hours, especially the approaches, was challenging and I had doubts about gaining the needed ability.  But, the next 20 hours was amazing and things really started to click.   Most of my ability and confidence came in the last 10 hours.   It turned out I learned as much about my airplane as the IFR environment and I am a much better pilot overall because of it.   Hang in there!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JasonW said:

Passed my ifr check ride last month.  My experience was similar to yours.  The first 20 hours, especially the approaches, was challenging and I had doubts about gaining the needed ability.  But, the next 20 hours was amazing and things really started to click.   Most of my ability and confidence came in the last 10 hours.   It turned out I learned as much about my airplane as the IFR environment and I am a much better pilot overall because of it.   Hang in there!

Great point. IFR competency is very much about knowing not only the ATC system, weather, and precise flying, but the also the plane's systems. For those that are contemplating the rating, make sure your instructor knows the plane intimately and the systems functionality and can instruct you on their proper use.

7 hours ago, JasonW said:

Thanks that's great to hear!

Unfortunately my nose gear situation just went from bad to worse. LASAR shipped my parts to the wrong address, 350 miles away. In an effort to minimize days lost I'm driving now to pick them up Monday morning when UPS opens up. Then I will drive seven hours back to Wichita and try to get stuff installed by Monday evening.  As if instrument training isn't hard enough...

Congratulations!  A license to learn.  :-)

If it makes you feel any better, it took me about a year also.  I was working in WI, PA, and TX while living in MO.  I had to work with 7 different instructors in order to actually fulfill the requirements and get ready to do the checkride.

Congrats!!  Fly in the system often to keep your skills up.  You are going to love that a cloud layer or a small potential for rain enroute is now a go flight and not an automatic reschedule.

The instrument rating really opens up the cross country ability of our Mooneys.

Big accomplishment.

-Seth