Preferred iPad mounting technique

3914N

1 hour ago, midlifeflyer said:

I switch tanks based on time even with a totalizer. I get a prompt as a reminder so it is one less thing to forget. It's a simple process. I don't feel the need for micro accuracy for something fairly macro.

I switch tanks about half way  and always when near an airport, just in case. 1 switch, the plane flys just fine with the imbalance of fuel in the tanks. I figure the less switching, the less chance of failure.

To get this thread back on track, here are pics of my iPad Mini mounting. It might be the easiest mount to use. It comes on and off very easily. And certainly qualifies for CB endorsement. I still have plenty of room to grip the Yoke. But in turbulence, formation flying, or anytime I feel it's interfering, it can be pulled out and set somewhere else, handed to the copilot, set in the right seat, all in under 3 second. Nothing is clamped to the Yoke or shaft either.  This design isn't original with me, but shamelessly copied from Pinto who uses this system in his Acclaim. 

IMG_0067.JPG

IMG_0068.JPG

IMG_0069.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teejayevans said:

I switch tanks about half way  and always when near an airport, just in case. 1 switch, the plane flys just fine with the imbalance of fuel in the tanks. I figure the less switching, the less chance of failure.

Different strokes. I guess I've flown enough airplanes where a significant imbalance does make a handling difference. I really can't imagine going an hour and a half without switching tanks. So far, anyway, the only time I have had a problem switching tanks is the time I turned the fuel selector to "off". :o

But yeah, like you, the place I choose to make the switch is decent gliding distance to an airport.

I've found the best fuel management method in the Mooney is...

10 gal from Left then switch tanks
20 gal from Right then switch back
15 gal from Left then switch
Land with 6 gal Right and 1 gal in the Left.

With this method I often only have to switch tanks once.

• Like 1

After many different location attempts i found i like one mounted high above the compass. I used a yoke mount and secured it to the bar that runs down the middle of the window. Its out of the way does not obstruct vision or instruments and allows you to keep eyes up while scanning. The only down side is you lose map lighting. Will follow up with pictures

I have avoided getting into this discussion because no matter what anyone says, we all do it to meet our own very personal tastes.  This is my setup, using the RAM system with the connectors passing under the control yolk.  I used to use the AVPAD kneeboard, but when Foreflight started geo referencing their approach plates, I wanted it to be more front and center.  Before Foreflight made that change, I used a Bendix King AV8OR as my situational awareness GPS and the iPad was only for planning.  Now the iPad does both and the onboard Trimble is the one connected to the autopilot.

09-At 8000 feet enroute to Wichita.jpg

• Like 1

On March 23, 2016 at 9:18 PM, Marauder said:

Post some pictures. Curious what this looks like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On March 23, 2016 at 7:29 PM, L. Trotter said:

Preferred iPad mounting technique

I have been trying to figure out this question in my Ovation (leather wrapped yolk with no clock). For various reasons (noted above) I choose a yolk mount.

Here are the issues I faced (My eyes are ok but getting weak. When dark the readers come on).......

IPAD mini (7.9 inch) vs. Air (9.7 inch). The Air is defiantly easier to see but takes up a lot of valuable real estate on the yolk. The air just looks to heavy/bulky for the area. Yes, it will work in portrait position but the landscape position seems very cumbersome and covers up a good chunk of both  sides of the yolk. If you move the "Air" further from the yolk (with an extended arm piece) so it does not interfere with holding the yolk it bounces around. I found the Mini to be sized just right when mounted in portrait view. There is just enough room on both sides to hold the yolk with no interference. The image is also a little larger in portrait view than in landscape view. In reality, the image is really better than std paper charts/plates. The Mini can be positioned in landscape view but you will have to slide the mini to the right (covering up the better part of the right yolk) in order to maintain full access to controls on the left yolk. Again, you could extend the Mini out away from the yolk but you have the issue of bounce again. All things considered, I choose to go with the Mini. It really is a nice fit with full unobstructed views of entire panel and windows.

How to physically yolk mount the Mini. Through advice from many of you I went with the Ram yolk mount. It comes in 4 pieces, all quality built (complete kit available many sites-about $60). The cradle holds the Mini quite firm and will not become dislodged. A 1 inch rubber ball attaches to the back of the cradle. There are two positions you can use depending on what view you want. There is a "roto-view" adapter ($20) that I believe unnecessary because It will be useless and non functional unless you extend the Mini away from the yolk. I have the "claw" (connecting ball already attached) mount that really hold well to the yolk tubing. The claw will have to be rotated on the tubing just a little so as to not interfere with the Gear switch. The 3 inch (ball to ball) arm will work just fine connecting the claw to the cradle. The arm will be positioned over the top of the yolk. With the shorter arm there is virtually no bouncing/vibration of the Mini. If you want to mount in landscape you can with the same parts but the right yolk will in part be covered up. if you really need the landscape view it would probably be best to purchase the 6 inch double armed attachment ($18) and come under the yolk. Expect some bounce.

I realize there arm many opinions and other devices available. This is just my experience that has lead to a happy ending.

Hope these photos give a helpful visual of a Ram mounted Mini IPad as described above. The landscape view is to provide spacial perspective while sitting in the mount.

The last picture is an extra. I have my plane outside for the first time...It's really windy. For $3 at Walmart I bought a pack of 2 flat bungie cords. The knot is to shorten the cord just a bit. Works great preventing control surfaces from moving around.

2.JPG

8.JPG

7.JPG

5.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

1.JPG

I guess I'm a bit anal but I use my totalizer on cross countries to maintain a spreadsheet of the precise amount of fuel in each tank. In 15 some years I've never found it off by 1/4 gallon on landing. I also measure with a stick before and after every flight and have those logs going back 15+ years. It also means I have precise tracking of the fuel loss via venting on the ramp at various times of year and location. :)

-Robert

Does no one else find that a yoke mount puts the iPad a bit low in the lap? I don't like looking down that far and wish I had a way to mount higher up... I just can't figure it out with my panel, so I just hold the iPad when I need it...

3771565fdb85cd7df0e3ddbbb285e960.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am very happy with the Ram yoke system, the X- mount for the iPad mini displayed horizontally, which gives me a good view of  the panel.  The X-mount keeps the iPad sufficiently cool, even on a hot day, and I find it quite stable. I like the yoke mount much better than any other placement, because it doesn't obscure instruments or the view out the side window, and requires fewer head motions, thus less vestibular confusion. 

My favorite EFBs are FlyQ and WingX, both of which are very capable, stable, and intuitive, and play nicely with my Dual xgps170 ASDB. They're both easy for me to read at a glance with the horizontal orientation.

My favorite iPad mounting technique is "in someone else's plane." I've seen too many nasty ones, sticking out, blocking stuff, wires everywhere. 

Seriously, for my needs, it works just fine in my lap occasionally, most often in my bag on the back seat. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/24/2016 at 5:36 PM, Ned Gravel said:

I have avoided getting into this discussion because no matter what anyone says, we all do it to meet our own very personal tastes.  This is my setup, using the RAM system with the connectors passing under the control yolk.  I used to use the AVPAD, but when Foreflight started geo referencing their approach plates, I wanted it to be more front and center.  Before Foreflight made that change, I used a Bendix King AV8OR as my situational awareness GPS and the iPad was only for planning.  Now the iPad does both and the onboard Trimble is the one connected to the autopilot.

09-At 8000 feet enroute to Wichita.jpg

Why under? And which RAM parts? Nice E panel, BTW!

Chrixxer:

Thank you for the nice words.  Not finished yet.  Would like a CNX 80 or a Garmin 480 to replace my Trimble and Narco 810, and perhaps a JPI 900 to replace my JPI 700 (and the instrument cluster and the two gauges on the right side).

As for the RAM mount configuration I used for the iPad, "under" seemed more pleasing by hiding the ram mount bits.  It also seemed to ensure nothing blocking my view of the DG and the switches / knobs below the bottom row of the six pack.

On 2/4/2016 at 6:34 AM, takair said:

We have a new yoke mount for vintage Mooney with a 30 day money back if you don't like it.  I am biased, but it works quite well for our configuration.  Take a look at http://www.flightenhancements.com or on the vender forum.  It's simple, small and strong.  I am working on one that allows you to retain the clock as well, but may block it.  Regarding the clock though, I see it as less important, given the fact that most of the apps we use have timers and clocks. 

Rob- I filled out the contact form, but not sure if it got sent- the screen didn't do any update after I clicked "submit." (i.e. it didn't say "order submitted" or some such)..

I'd like to order one of the yoke mounts. Please PM me. Thanks! Roy

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 5/14/2017 at 6:18 AM, John Mininger said:

After acquiring a lot o RAM parts I finally settled on this setup. (I didn't really realize that the yoke looked that bad.)

John

iPad Mount side.JPG

iPad Mount.JPG

Hi John:

I have setup a similar configuration in our m20e. The location works great, but find that ipad picks up vibration from the control column making numbers hard to see.