Preferred iPad mounting technique

3914N

A friend had one between him and his pax in his Bo, I don't know where it comes from but I'm certain it would work in a Mooney.  I didn't like it since it serves as a psychological barrier between pilot and pax.  Me, I'd just program the tablet with an analog clock and put it on the yolk.  But that's just me.

3 minutes ago, steingar said:

A friend had one between him and his pax in his Bo, I don't know where it comes from but I'm certain it would work in a Mooney.  I didn't like it since it serves as a psychological barrier between pilot and pax.  Me, I'd just program the tablet with an analog clock and put it on the yolk.  But that's just me.

Hope they are not runny. I understand the liquid is bad for tablets. 

Sorry :D :lol: :angry:

• Like 1

3914N,

Your going to like the ipad mini, if you haven’t chosen an app yet I suggest looking at the most commonly used (there are even some free ones) ForeFlight, Wing-X and Garmin. I personally use Wing-X and love it (very short learning curve). You say your biased against mounting on the yoke or knee and I’m sure like all of us you have your reason(‘s). I personally don’t like the knee board, too much head down time. Suction cups fail, plus I don’t want to obstruct any of view out a window. My panel is the typical “Shot Gun” layout as are most of the older Moonies so the yoke was an obvious choice for me and not block any of the panel, mine is mounted to the pilots yoke using the X-grip, this keeps it right in front and is easily accessible. If you fly in the soup it right there in your scan with no head movement. My only other suggestion is whatever app you choose, learn it and get proficient on the ground with its functions.

I use Seattle Avionics FlyQ EFB with my iPad Mini mounted on the yoke.  I'm very happy with it and use the Stratus 2 for ADSB-in (RAM suction mount on the rear passenger window.   It helped that I picked up the FlyQ lifetime subscription two years ago so no more paying $$$ every year for VFR or IFR charts.  I've moved the mini around the cockpit trying to find the ideal placement and finally settled on the yoke.  Just easier for me to read within my normal scan and it's easier to use in turbulence.  Just keep experimenting and you'll eventually find a place you like it.  No issues reading any instruments either (the camera angle was a little lower than where my head normally is). 

Cheers,

Brian

8869899_orig.jpg

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 2:17 AM, Marauder said:

I do have them in Word format. Send me a PM with your email and I will send you all of them. I have them in separate files. I print them out and then cut them to fit into the Jepp 7 ring protectors. The same protectors I have about 10,000 of from my days of using Jepps. emoji47.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I have been trying to figure out this question in my Ovation (leather wrapped yolk with no clock). For various reasons (noted above) I choose a yolk mount.

Here are the issues I faced (My eyes are ok but getting weak. When dark the readers come on).......

IPAD mini (7.9 inch) vs. Air (9.7 inch). The Air is defiantly easier to see but takes up a lot of valuable real estate on the yolk. The air just looks to heavy/bulky for the area. Yes, it will work in portrait position but the landscape position seems very cumbersome and covers up a good chunk of both  sides of the yolk. If you move the "Air" further from the yolk (with an extended arm piece) so it does not interfere with holding the yolk it bounces around. I found the Mini to be sized just right when mounted in portrait view. There is just enough room on both sides to hold the yolk with no interference. The image is also a little larger in portrait view than in landscape view. In reality, the image is really better than std paper charts/plates. The Mini can be positioned in landscape view but you will have to slide the mini to the right (covering up the better part of the right yolk) in order to maintain full access to controls on the left yolk. Again, you could extend the Mini out away from the yolk but you have the issue of bounce again. All things considered, I choose to go with the Mini. It really is a nice fit with full unobstructed views of entire panel and windows.

How to physically yolk mount the Mini. Through advice from many of you I went with the Ram yolk mount. It comes in 4 pieces, all quality built (complete kit available many sites-about $60). The cradle holds the Mini quite firm and will not become dislodged. A 1 inch rubber ball attaches to the back of the cradle. There are two positions you can use depending on what view you want. There is a "roto-view" adapter ($20) that I believe unnecessary because It will be useless and non functional unless you extend the Mini away from the yolk. I have the "claw" (connecting ball already attached) mount that really hold well to the yolk tubing. The claw will have to be rotated on the tubing just a little so as to not interfere with the Gear switch. The 3 inch (ball to ball) arm will work just fine connecting the claw to the cradle. The arm will be positioned over the top of the yolk. With the shorter arm there is virtually no bouncing/vibration of the Mini. If you want to mount in landscape you can with the same parts but the right yolk will in part be covered up. if you really need the landscape view it would probably be best to purchase the 6 inch double armed attachment ($18) and come under the yolk. Expect some bounce.

I realize there arm many opinions and other devices available. This is just my experience that has lead to a happy ending.

YOLK:   the yellow and principal substance of an egg, as distinguished from the white.

YOKE:  something that couples or binds together; a bond or tie. (EXAMPLE: a yoke joins a human to a airplane)

:)

Edited by LANCECASPER

now that is funny.

I'll have to eat crow on this one. it's been a long 2 days and spell checker is not any smarter than me. I wish i could say it was the only mistake I've made. Please don't tell my kids.

• Like 1

YOLK:   the yellow and principal substance of an egg, as distinguished from the white.

YOKE:  something that couples or binds together; a bond or tie. (EXAMPLE: a yoke joins a human to a airplane)

I guess the yolk, er yoke, er, ah yolk, is on him.

• Like 1

I have been trying to figure out this question in my Ovation (leather wrapped yolk with no clock). For various reasons (noted above) I choose a yolk mount.

Here are the issues I faced (My eyes are ok but getting weak. When dark the readers come on).......

IPAD mini (7.9 inch) vs. Air (9.7 inch). The Air is defiantly easier to see but takes up a lot of valuable real estate on the yolk. The air just looks to heavy/bulky for the area. Yes, it will work in portrait position but the landscape position seems very cumbersome and covers up a good chunk of both  sides of the yolk. If you move the "Air" further from the yolk (with an extended arm piece) so it does not interfere with holding the yolk it bounces around. I found the Mini to be sized just right when mounted in portrait view. There is just enough room on both sides to hold the yolk with no interference. The image is also a little larger in portrait view than in landscape view. In reality, the image is really better than std paper charts/plates. The Mini can be positioned in landscape view but you will have to slide the mini to the right (covering up the better part of the right yolk) in order to maintain full access to controls on the left yolk. Again, you could extend the Mini out away from the yolk but you have the issue of bounce again. All things considered, I choose to go with the Mini. It really is a nice fit with full unobstructed views of entire panel and windows.

How to physically yolk mount the Mini. Through advice from many of you I went with the Ram yolk mount. It comes in 4 pieces, all quality built (complete kit available many sites-about $60). The cradle holds the Mini quite firm and will not become dislodged. A 1 inch rubber ball attaches to the back of the cradle. There are two positions you can use depending on what view you want. There is a "roto-view" adapter ($20) that I believe unnecessary because It will be useless and non functional unless you extend the Mini away from the yolk. I have the "claw" (connecting ball already attached) mount that really hold well to the yolk tubing. The claw will have to be rotated on the tubing just a little so as to not interfere with the Gear switch. The 3 inch (ball to ball) arm will work just fine connecting the claw to the cradle. The arm will be positioned over the top of the yolk. With the shorter arm there is virtually no bouncing/vibration of the Mini. If you want to mount in landscape you can with the same parts but the right yolk will in part be covered up. if you really need the landscape view it would probably be best to purchase the 6 inch double armed attachment ($18) and come under the yolk. Expect some bounce.

I realize there arm many opinions and other devices available. This is just my experience that has lead to a happy ending.

Post some pictures. Curious what this looks like.

Can you post a photo or more of your set up?  I got a Ram Mount "kit" from Amazon.  The yoke attachment is a c-clamp but the tightening arm sticks out quite a ways and I hit it with my right hand at times when reaching for certain switches on the panel.