G1000 "Traffic Unavailable"

L. Trotter

Getting to know my way around the G1000 panel in a 2005 Ovation. the Panel has a STD compliment with the GTX 33 mode S transponder. I picked the Ovation up in Denver a couple weeks ago and am now home in Rapid City, SD.  While in Denver, local traffic was displayed on the MFD and PFD insert and I would receive an audible "traffic alert" from time to time. Now, there is "traffic unavailable" on the MFD. I have been across WYO to SLC, UT and across MT to Missoula. Still no change in the  "traffic unavailable" status. Did I push a wrong button some where in the setup? Is the transponder not working properly?

BTW....I lover this new Bird. what a joy to fly. the TKS is amazing. It works well if turned on a few minutes prior needing it.

Sounds like you only have the Mode S TIS traffic that is only available in major metro areas.  I have the same via my GTX 330 ES and GNS 530W for a display.  When I fly out of coverage, in annunciates "traffic unavailable" via voice and on the screen.  It works well in terminal areas, but not out in the rural areas.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KSMooniac said:

Sounds like you only have the Mode S TIS traffic that is only available in major metro areas.  I have the same via my GTX 330 ES and GNS 530W for a display.  When I fly out of coverage, in annunciates "traffic unavailable" via voice and on the screen.  It works well in terminal areas, but not out in the rural areas.

I have the same setup with the same results. Metro areas only.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, markfoster7700 said:

You just picked up this Ovation when you could have had mine? :-)

What type of traffic do you have?  Only TIS, or something else?

Thanks for the response. Wow, you guys are incredible!

I have only the TIS.

It sounds like I was expecting more out of the system then it can provide. Indeed, I have been flying in more rural areas. I would have thought the SLC, UT area would have provided traffic alerts like Denver. As long as things are working as expected all is good.

Essentially, TIS works only in TRACON areas around major airports and metros. I've found that generally speaking, if you are talking to an "approach" or "departure" ATC person, you'll likely get traffic. If you're just talking to Center, then you probably won't get traffic.  I'm sure there are exceptions to this rule, but that's what I go by.

• 2 months later...

I have a M20R 2006 with traffic and when I start on the second page traffic you can check if active I have to restart mine some times after the AHRS is active. Then do a system check! This always seem to work. I can double check the procedure when I get back to the plane the traffic works even in the Everglades.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blake said:

I have a M20R 2006 with traffic and when I start on the second page traffic you can check if active I have to restart mine some times after the AHRS is active. Then do a system check! This always seem to work. I can double check the procedure when I get back to the plane the traffic works even in the Everglades.

You must have Skywatch on your Ovation. That's active traffic that interrogates transponders near you.