May be changing to an Ovation

teckinger

8 minutes ago, carqwik said:

You have a "back up" airplane? So what's your primary plane? 

Btw, can't comment on an Ovation's book vs real speeds but seems curious as to why you'd trade out of a Col400 to an Ovation?? 

Good question.  Our primary plane is a Beech Premier 1.  I along with one of my sons fly it along with the Columbia 400.  One of my other sons in our business is early in his flying career and I feel it is important for him to build retractable time.  Also since he will be doing training in the plane I don't want to have it turbocharged.

The O3 numbers are a bit better than book in take-off performance, and pretty close in cruise. Like Greg, 175 kts LOP is what I expect in my TKS 310hp STC Ovation. I've never flown a similarly equipped O3 without TKS, but rumors are that it might be 1-2 kts faster at the same power settings.

Edited by BorealOne

8 minutes ago, markfoster7700 said:

I can concur with the numbers the others are posting.  I can also tell you that I have a great deal for you on an O3 if you are interested.  I am selling mine and I am somewhat motivated at the moment.  Contact me directly (and soon) if you think you might be interested.

I sent you a message.  I don't do this often so if you didn't receive post again.  Thanks

Things that come to mind that may answer this question...

1) Get a copy of the MAPA manual  for a valid data comparison through all phases of flight.

2) Nobody is dissapointed with O3 performance. T/O performance and climb rate are matching the STC / POH data...  Use your PPI and an app like CloudAhoy to prove this prior to purchase.  

3) The few knots lost to TKS installation is similar to the pounds lost of UL for air conditioning.  Mostly worth it, depending...

4) G1000 is still struggling to be updated to the latest WAAS version. Check the details on the ship you are buying...

5) the MSE version is luxurious...

Note: This may be more opinion than fact.

Go Long Body,

-a-

12 hours ago, teckinger said:

We may be changing our backup plane from a Columbia 400 to an Ovation 2 or 3.  I have two questions about performance.  First how accurate are the book numbers on cruise and second how much speed is loss in having TKS wing deice ?

Welcome to the forum. Hope this won't be your only instance.

the airspeed lost with TKS, in the overall real world time lost in the air, is negligible. I bet the time from point A to B in a two hundred mile trip is under 10 minutes. 

The choice for an O3 to be a Primary trainer, would be a concern to me. You say "early in his flying career". I would consider a different plane for the son if "early" means primary training. I'm sure you know this already so please don't think I am trying to insult anyone's intelligence.

The O3 is a very capable single with most having 1000 lbs useful. Performance is not an issue. As with any plane purchase, ABS is a question that needs to be asked. If you want more performance, find a Liquid Rocket conversion.

good luck.

df