Rear Seat Bottom Retention

Been following "3 leather hides", I'm all in for the DIY projects. The leather seats in our plane were in really good shape but in a light brownish tan, so I used "SURE COAT" a SEM product and painted them (I paint way better than I sew) along with all the other interior panels and plastics.

image.thumb.jpg.cdbb9e04e8e9ca7cfe6e9b4eimage.thumb.jpg.0315b2c2b37d722fd31ba9c3

So I seemed to have spent another day getting very little done. I did manage to get the hooks made by using 30# picture hooks, not as wide as the originals but should work just fine. After cutting the tops off I went ahead and ran a drill bit thru the slotted hole already there and drilled the second hole (FYI holes are on 0.350" centers) then pinching the clip around the 3/16" bar to make fit a little better. Parts catalog called for #4 PK screws which I have but the mounting holes on the aircraft seemed to be drilled for a #4 machine screw (there is no evidence of a sheet metal screw ever being threaded in to it) so its off to find #4 machine screws and locknuts so I can scratch it off my list and move on.

clips(1).jpg.a607dce9055343733dda51c37f8

I would be surprised to be able to get a nut on the back side.   If the holes are wallered out,  Move over a bit and then alum tape the old holes.  You could also go to a #6 screw but that may make it harder to hook the rod.   Deduct the weight savings from your W&B and enjoy the extra couple knots speed increase.  Stainless screws are good for a .005 knot increase.

On February 2, 2016 at 10:43 PM, blaine beaven said:

You have heat in your luggage area? Is that only on a specific model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just saw this.  Yes, there is a small outlet in the front center.  It is easily hidden by the rear seat back or the carpet.  There are also two more in the side walls roughly in the middle of the cabin.  That said, they don't put out much heat.  Don't know what years had this.

65C had four heat outlets...

two up front under the IP.

two in the side panels with minimal flow.  The flow dividing box up front needs to be working perfectly and the tubes need to be updated at least once in 40 years.

Rob,

check that center hole...

the hole in the floor of the baggage compartment is an exterior vent for cabin air to exit through. There is a vacuum formed by a faring that sticks out on the bottom of the fuselage.  Some ingenious pilots have plumbed some fluids out the vent...:)

Old fuzzy memories of a PP,

-a-

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, carusoam said:

65C had four heat outlets...

two up front under the IP.

two in the side panels with minimal flow.  The flow dividing box up front needs to be working perfectly and the tubes need to be updated at least once in 40 years.

Rob,

check that center hole...

the hole in the floor of the baggage compartment is an exterior vent for cabin air to exit through. There is a vacuum formed by a faring that sticks out on the bottom of the fuselage.  Some ingenious pilots have plumbed some fluids out the vent...:)

Old fuzzy memories of a PP,

-a-

Ahh yes!  I bet you are correct.  That actually makes more sense.  I had the top outlet plugged, but was still wondering where the heat was going.  

To get any flow out of the defog outlets or the two in the cabin, you need to close off much of the big outlets under the panel.  Interesting thought about the fluid vent, but my tubes are 50 years old, so I suspect my results would be more like an outhouse.

Thanks to everyone, I got the clips & rear seat cushion installed. It was a little tough stretching the leather on the seat which to my knowledge had never been installed correctly, should be easier next time after the leather loosens up a bit.

seat.jpg.8fa65c1d0a6f9a8c9b21414a9a39dc7

• Like 1