Headliner Replacement

Lee, I just got my door panel and carpet kit for my 65E. Thought I would try my limited skills on the door panel then move on to headliner. I have no advice but would love to see photos and issues you have while installing. I am sure you will get lots of help on here. Let me know how things go....

18 hours ago, C-GHIJ said:

Finally got my headliner and carpet kit for my 61 M20C.   Has anyone had experience with replacing there headliner?  Advice is always welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Lee

Abandon hope all ye who enter here...

Pull the old one out very carefully and use as a template for the new. At least this worked for me. Apparently in '66 these things were pretty much custom fitted.

When I did my insurance sentence time the CFII asked about my carpet as he was astonished with how well it fitted (not original). He had a bad experience with carpet replacement in a C. I told him that it came with the bird. That was my first data point on Mooney interiors.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, HRM said:

Abandon hope all ye who enter here...

Pull the old one out very carefully and use as a template for the new. At least this worked for me. Apparently in '66 these things were pretty much custom fitted.

When I did my insurance sentence time the CFII asked about my carpet as he was astonished with how well it fitted (not original). He had a bad experience with carpet replacement in a C. I told him that it came with the bird. That was my first data point on Mooney interiors.

+1.  Save and cut the new fabric (I used Airtex and really like it) using the old as templates.  Get a light color.  It brightens things up and looks rich/bigger.

On January 28, 2016 at 6:27 PM, C-GHIJ said:

Finally got my headliner and carpet kit for my 61 M20C.   Has anyone had experience with replacing there headliner?  Advice is always welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Lee

Best done in a warm shop, maybe tomorrow.

Clarence

The old glue was a pain in the butt to remove.  I took the opportunity to re paint the tubes as well.  I bought the insulation from Aircraft Spruce.   I have to sand and paint all the window trim to match the new headliner color.  I will post more pic's as I install it all.

• Like 2

Your airplane looks very clean and the steel tubes look very nice.

I re-read SB 208B and realized there is no requirement for a specific insulation.  Actually it says you can re-install the old fiberglass as long as it's dry- but who would do that once everything was removed?

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Did somebody hit on this already?

The expense isn't the inspection or the insulation.  It's when you find the wall thickness of a tube fails the test.  The solution is to cut out the tube and weld in a new one.  That can be expensive.  

Planes that have been outside for years are more prone to having this problem.  The invention of nice covers have made this issue not so important once you own the plane that has passed the inspection.  Leaky windows of uncovered planes was a root cause of rust damaged tubes.

Best regards,

-a-

The tubing was all clean and rust free as the aircraft has been hangered most of its life.  I re coated the tubes in fresh paint just to be safe.  I will be installing the insulation and headliner tomorrow (hopefully).  Will post pic's.

Quick question while this is fresh on your mind. I'm getting ready to install a headliner in a C model. The headliner has already been removed and I've been told that there are wire bows that slip thru and hold the headliner up? How do those bows fasten in the ceiling? I don't see where they would sit in the ceiling of the plane. 

I still need to do some more stretching to get a few wrinkles out.......of the headliner and the legs.  LOL

Lee -- like what you have done! So much, that I have arranged a work visa for you here in the U.S. to do mine!

Keep posting those pictures

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Hawth200 said:

Quick question while this is fresh on your mind. I'm getting ready to install a headliner in a C model. The headliner has already been removed and I've been told that there are wire bows that slip thru and hold the headliner up? How do those bows fasten in the ceiling? I don't see where they would sit in the ceiling of the plane. 

Some of the wires (ones near the center I think) go into a little hole in the steel cross tube in the roof.  The other ones go in the fabric sleeve in the liner and are suspended from little metal triangle shaped hooks from the aluminum roof bows.  Your plane may have had the little triangles removed (they are sharp, ask me how I know).  Look for #4 screw hole that held them there. 

Surprisingly, it's not difficult to do, just fiddly and time consuming.  I would suggest that you start at the center and work forward and then from the center back.  Airtex gives a generous amount of extra that needs to be cut off (about 2 inches all around)  

4 hours ago, Marauder said:

Lee -- like what you have done! So much, that I have arranged a work visa for you here in the U.S. to do mine! emoji57.png

Keep posting those pictures

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think you could afford the amount of beer (Canadian Beer not that American swill)  it takes to install.  Glue a piece...drink a beer, glue a piece...drink a beer, drink a beer, wait ..what was I doing???????

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, C-GHIJ said:

I don't think you could afford the amount of beer (Canadian Beer not that American swill)  it takes to install.  Glue a piece...drink a beer, glue a piece...drink a beer, drink a beer, wait ..what was I doing???????

BTDT...

55 minutes ago, C-GHIJ said:

Some of the wires (ones near the center I think) go into a little hole in the steel cross tube in the roof.  The other ones go in the fabric sleeve in the liner and are suspended from little metal triangle shaped hooks from the aluminum roof bows.  Your plane may have had the little triangles removed (they are sharp, ask me how I know).  Look for #4 screw hole that held them there. 

Surprisingly, it's not difficult to do, just fiddly and time consuming.  I would suggest that you start at the center and work forward and then from the center back.  Airtex gives a generous amount of extra that needs to be cut off (about 2 inches all around)  

Thanks for the details. I will look for those holes and clips. Hopefully I'll get mine back in soon.