WD-40 for deicing

Piloto

I heard of WD-40 used for deicing car locks and other ice related applications. I decided to see how well would work on a frozen surface covered with ice. I sprayed WD-40 on the aluminum surface first. Then put a drop of water on it. Put the sample in the kitchen fridge for 6 hours. After 6 hours the drop was solid ice but it slided down with minimum surface inclination. I did the same test with the Rust-Oleum deicing product but the droplet stick to the surface. On my next flight to KAGC I am thinking of spraying the wing leading edge with WD-40 and hope for some ice to see how it works. Has anyone here tried this experiment.?

José

2 hours ago, Piloto said:

I heard of WD-40 used for deicing car locks and other ice related applications. I decided to see how well would work on a frozen surface covered with ice. I sprayed WD-40 on the aluminum surface first. Then put a drop of water on it. Put the sample in the kitchen fridge for 6 hours. After 6 hours the drop was solid ice but it slided down with minimum surface inclination. I did the same test with the Rust-Oleum deicing product but the droplet stick to the surface. On my next flight to KAGC I am thinking of spraying the wing leading edge with WD-40 and hope for some ice to see how it works. Has anyone here tried this experiment.?

José

That makes sense since WD stands for water displacement.

I've heard first hand accounts that Pledge spayed on the leading edge actually works - as long as it last there. But I have never tried it. You'd think it has the potential to last much longer than WD-40 - not that either is likely to last very long. But maybe help you get on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What worked for deicing my Mooney on the WV/OH border was a hangar.

I've since implemented the best deicing scheme:  I moved back South!  Havent scraped my windshield this winter, but I probably should have twice. I just kept hitting it with windshield cleaner because it's difficult to pull a credit card out of my wallet with gloves on . . .  :D

Seriously, though, I've heard about using car windshield deicing spray to deice wings. In my seven winters on the Ohio River, I never needed it, and when I travel I cover the windshield. Don't recall ever having a problem with frosted wings, a side benefit to not departing early in the morning.

De-Ice or anti-Ice?

For de-icing I recently read (think in AOPA magazine but not sure anymore) to use a mix of 80% isopropyl (rubbing alcohol - any drugstore) and 20% water.

Put it in a spray bottle and had it with me 2 weeks ago when we had snow residue and frost on the wings and tail. Sprayed, wiped and clean wings :)

Works like a charm and no worries about how it interacts with paint or leaves a residue.

Robert

De-Ice or anti-Ice?

For de-icing I recently read (think in AOPA magazine but not sure anymore) to use a mix of 80% isopropyl (rubbing alcohol - any drugstore) and 20% water.

Put it in a spray bottle and had it with me 2 weeks ago when we had snow residue and frost on the wings and tail. Sprayed, wiped and clean wings

Works like a charm and no worries about how it interacts with paint or leaves a residue.

Robert

FYI most rubbing alcohol is 70% isopropyl. You can find 99% if you look for it and titer appropriately.

I've used rubbing alcohol for years without any issues. The remaining 30% is mainly water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

54 minutes ago, neilpilot said:

Actually, common IPA found at Walgreens, CVS, etc is 91% alcohol.  For a fuel additive to prevent ice crystals in 100LL, I use iso-HEET (red bottle), which is 100% IPA.

You have to read the labels. Much is 70%, but I've found it in drugstores as low as 50%. Used to buy it by the pallet at work, in quart bottles and spray heads, at 70%.

The good stuff, 99% IPA, generally comes from chemical or science supply businesses (we used Fisher Life Sciences), in brown glass gallon jugs. It's not suitable to store in plastic bottles for a long time, it will absorb water from the air and not be at 99% very long. For our application, it mattered; to melt ice on your wing and tail surfaces, it won't matter, but it is significantly more expensive 

Buy what you can find but read the label before adding (more) water . . .

17 hours ago, Hank said:

You have to read the labels. Much is 70%, but I've found it in drugstores as low as 50%. Used to buy it by the pallet at work, in quart bottles and spray heads, at 70%.

The good stuff, 99% IPA, generally comes from chemical or science supply businesses (we used Fisher Life Sciences), in brown glass gallon jugs. It's not suitable to store in plastic bottles for a long time, it will absorb water from the air and not be at 99% very long. For our application, it mattered; to melt ice on your wing and tail surfaces, it won't matter, but it is significantly more expensive 

Buy what you can find but read the label before adding (more) water . . .

Appreciate the lecture on Isopropyl alcohol.  Before I retired last year, I used to make about 120,000 lb/year of IPA.  It was a byproduct, and we burned it in our steam boiler as a supplemental fuel.  But suffice it to say I understand IPA packaging and handling.