Grounded by Plastic

Wistarmo

I have a '93 "J" model that I try to look after really well, keep hangared, etc.  I was grounded for several days this week and missed an important trip when my Master Switch simply crumbled.  It's all fixed now with a new switch.  What do I do with the other nine rocker switches that also date back to 1993?

IMG_0348.JPG

20 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

Is this something replaceable under owner/pilot rule?

it's not that simple.  the switches are expensive, and I don't think anyone has found a less expensive alternative.  several threads kicking around ideas but nothing tangible.

There was a thread about someone who made a 3-d print setup for these.  But the first round was not fitting so well - I ordered one from that first round. There was a second that fit supposedly a lot better.  Did anyone try that?  They were cheap, something like $5 each plus shipping - and shipping was small esp if you are ordering several.  But I never got around to ordering the second round to try them.

3d printing would definitely be the thing if we get it right.  You can 3d print from companies so many different kinds of materials now its fabulous.  Plastic, poly, metals (how about titanium switch covers just cuz you can) or (gold! - yes you can 3d print in gold), or ceramic, or cake frosting.  Yes I saw a company 3d printing cakes (maybe yummy but probably a poor choice for an airplane switch cover).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlyWalt said:

Food replicators have finally arrived. Now give me voice command so that I can imitate Captain Picard and say, "Tea, Earl Grey, Hot".  :-)

And of course...I read that out load in Patrick Stewart's voice...

Talking about 3D printing - that should also be the solution for the dreaded wingtip recognition lights that burn through the lens when left on too long: print the reflector from metal and alter its innards to receive a 5W LED chip and the regulating electronics. It's all doable but doesn't change the fact that you would then need to get an STC for the setup - sigh.

Talking about 3D printing - that should also be the solution for the dreaded wingtip recognition lights that burn through the lens when left on too long: print the reflector from metal and alter its innards to receive a 5W LED chip and the regulating electronics. It's all doable but doesn't change the fact that you would then need to get an STC for the setup - sigh.

Or wigwag the lights, prevents the this and makes you more easy to see, just need a log entry.

6 hours ago, teejayevans said:

Or wigwag the lights, prevents the this and makes you more easy to see, just need a log entry.

I'm not sure I understand. One can change electrical circuitry to a wig wag system with a log book entry, but changing to LED requires an STC. Has the FAA said this. Is this set out in writing somewhere. Or is this a one FSDO's position.

I really think the FAA ought to make an official ruling about these things. Or maybe they have, and I just don't know about it.

6 hours ago, teejayevans said: Or wigwag the lights, prevents the this and makes you more easy to see, just need a log entry.

I'm not sure I understand. One can change electrical circuitry to a wig wag system with a log book entry, but changing to LED requires an STC. Has the FAA said this. Is this set out in writing somewhere. Or is this a one FSDO's position.

I really think the FAA ought to make an official ruling about these things. Or maybe they have, and I just don't know about it.

The Precise wigwag circuitry has a STC that comes with it, your own LED circuitry doesn't, there is no LED STCed replacement.

54 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

post deleted

I think this is the switch cover that Erik made mention of.  I bought similar switch covers from Shapeways for my 78 J and they fit fine. I just had to use a tiny bit of scotch tape on the back to get them to fit snug.  The plastic feels cheap and somewhat brittle but I haven't had them crack or break yet.  Just be delicate with them like Jose said. 

Klixon switch cover

My split alternator switch broke (again) and I searched the internet for a replacement. I found a listing on Controller.com for a replacement and Chandler Aviation (MSC) had a listing.

Turns out Mooney had stock and they drop shipped to me next day air. Price was something like $50 - WOW!!!! Check MSC's for replacement switches - Mooney may be stocking these now.

• Like 2

On January 26, 2016 at 8:54 AM, aviatoreb said:

Plastic, poly, metals (how about titanium switch covers just cuz you can) or (gold! - yes you can 3d print in gold), or ceramic, or cake frosting.  

I look forward to seeing pictures of the titanium switch covers.  You shouldn't have any more problems with breakage.  Personally, I think I'll stick with non-conductive materials. ;)

4 minutes ago, mooniac15u said:

I look forward to seeing pictures of the titanium switch covers.  You shouldn't have any more problems with breakage.  Personally, I think I'll stick with non-conductive materials. ;)

I went with cake frosting.  Because it is nonconductive.

• Like 1