Overhead Panels

A question for you all...

I am thinking about making a custom carbon fiber overhead panel.  it would include all the vents, speaker and warning buzzers of course.  In addition I was thinking of adding led dome lighting with reading lights and baggage light.

This is the question.  Since this is interior panels only, would it need to be STC'd or could I just do it assuming it meets flame standards?

I am thinking about making a custom carbon fiber overhead panel.  it would include all the vents, speaker and warning buzzers of course.  In addition I was thinking of adding led dome lighting with reading lights and baggage light.

This is the question.  Since this is interior panels only, would it need to be STC'd or could I just do it assuming it meets flame standards?

Make 2 while you're at it. My overhead vents are broken to pieces. Called plane plastics earlier this week and had a rather snarky rep inform me that I am out of luck. My plan was to remove what is left of the vents, fiberglass over the openings and install eyeball vents. Your plan sounds better, but well beyond my skill set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, capthaak said:

The Jaeger interior is STC'ed. The question lies if you're just building your own or looking to sell. I'm leaning towards the answer from the FAA would be STC required.

The STC covers the Spatial Interior panel retrofit--this is hands down the best thing you can do with your vintage Mooney. Bruce buys the plastic from a company that supplies the companies who do the interiors of the airliners.

The roof panels are just sheets of plastic that are spray painted and cut to fit. This any owner can do. Bruce has done the checking already for burn rate, etc.

Seems like some reinforcement on the old panel from the back side and some epoxy and carbon fiber cloth and some vacuum bagging and owner supplied parts log book entry and you should be fine.   Only if you are selling would you need a PMA or STC.

• Like 1

On January 22, 2016 at 4:47 PM, Guitarmaster said:

I think this probably fits the "Owner Produced Parts" definition to a 't'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guitarmaster said:

All the replies confirm what I thought to be true.  

Now to find time to make the mold.... :)

Why not contact Plane Plastics? They have what I believe is the original mold for the roof panel(s). Might be able to make a deal. Worst case scenario is that they say no.

I am not sure that  you would be saving any weight by going to carbon fiber, however  you would get much more  strength but that is about it.  I have been  told that when it comes to  these interior pieces,  it tends to be a grey area when come to the FAA.  Since many interior pieces add no structure value  to the air frame, about the only thin I am aware of would raise concern the meets the  FAA's flammability requirements.

James '67C

3 hours ago, HRM said:

Why not contact Plane Plastics? They have what I believe is the original mold for the roof panel(s). Might be able to make a deal. Worst case scenario is that they say no.

Basically because I love making custom stuff.  The Plane Plastics part is fine, but I would like to "modernize" it.  I know there is a continent of guys out there that think a vintage plane should stay original.  I think that has it's place, but I'm going for more, "resto-mod" look.   

I'm doing the same with my '68 Cougar.  Gone are the days of resorting to original to retain value.  Resto-mod cars are worth considerably more than stock.  I think it is really more of a generational thing.

I probably should have bought an experimental.  ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Guitarmaster said:

Basically because I love making custom stuff.  The Plane Plastics part is fine, but I would like to "modernize" it.  I know there is a continent of guys out there that think a vintage plane should stay original.  I think that has it's place, but I'm going for more, "resto-mod" look.   

I'm doing the same with my '68 Cougar.  Gone are the days of resorting to original to retain value.  Resto-mod cars are worth considerably more than stock.  I think it is really more of a generational thing.

I probably should have bought an experimental.  ;)

Yes, I resemble that remark, sorta (...a continent of guys out there that think a vintage plane should stay original). I went the 'resto-mod' route and did it the way I would have wanted Mooney to do it back in the day.

I thought you had to stay to the original part and it's components; i.e., the light projectors, rheostats, weird air vents, etc. Frankly, I just liked "updating" mine with paint and crack repair.

If you plan to go whole hog, then go for the eyeball vents and LED lamps. Also, lose the speaker. Frankly, if you do all that you may get into 'issues' later. When I saw this post I just assumed (yeah, I know) you were just wanting to carbon fiber the existing panel.

As for the Cougar--you dog! I had one back in HS...those were the days.

Cougar.jpg.f5d60b5de12c4434b2fb6c895eb5e

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HRM said: Why not contact Plane Plastics? They have what I believe is the original mold for the roof panel(s). Might be able to make a deal. Worst case scenario is that they say no.

I probably should have bought an experimental.  

Hope that Cougar has the 390 with a nice Holley on top. Vrooom, vroooom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For anyone redoing the ceiling panels and good with composites, I have the left and right ceiling panels from an Ovation which I did not use.  I bought them for my airplane (a 1968 F) but then got my hands of a full 1998 Ovation interior so I ended up with 2 sets.  One set was modified to fit into my F model.  The other set was cut to length to fit into the mid-body length but was not otherwise altered.  These may be a good starting point for anyone wanting to redo the ceiling of a vintage Mooney.  The fiberglass is easy to work with and the panels can be made to fit what you need.  It is best to start with a large panel and alter to fit the windows.  Give me a call if there is any interest.  Cell (617) 877-0025 or e-mail:  john.breda@gmail.com

You can see the end result on my Album pictures at   M20F-1968

John Breda

• Like 1

On January 25, 2016 at 8:21 PM, Marauder said:

Hope that Cougar has the 390 with a nice Holley on top. Vrooom, vroooom emoji469.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nope...  It's a 351W.  Holly 750. Not sure of the manifold.  Headers into duals with Flowmaster 40's.  9" Rearend.  2500 stall racing TC.  Built c4 tranny. 224/51 cam makes it fairly aggressive but still streetable.  It has not been on a dyno, but the specs show 400HP/396TQ.  
I didn't build it.  I bought it off a widow of the guy that built it for a great price. :)

• Like 1