Data cards for GTN 750 and 650

How much are they?Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good question, somebody knows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are over $150 each from a Garmin source. I looked on the Jepp site and it doesn't look like they carry them:

http://jeppdirect.jeppesen.com/main/corporate/eSearch/products.jsp?Ntk=All&Ntt=GTN+datacard

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To buy an extra for the G500 they wanted $99 and it's a 8GB. I still have my original cards and have some old cards from cameras that I simply reformatted and used. I alternate between the 2 when updating. For the GTN I think you only need 4GB but I have an 8 and a 16GB which work fine.

I need to buy two nava data cards for my GTN 650 and 750. Garmin tells me that I have to go through their dealer any other idea...

Oscar, why do you need to buy these cards? You should have gotten 4 of them with new units.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Somehow two got corrupted and stopped working

1 minute ago, Oscar Avalle said:

You may be able to revive them by trying the following:

DISKPART (Windows)
Start a command prompt, and start the DISKPART console. List all of your disks by typing LIST DISK, then select the proper disk with SELECT DISK # (where # is the SD card). You can then type CLEAN to clear the partition table on the card, effectively blanking it. MAKE SURE YOU SELECTED THE PROPER DISK BEFORE RUNNING THE CLEAN COMMAND!

To create a primary partition to reuse the space on the card, type CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY. This will then reallocate the previously "cleaned" space.

To format, type FORMAT FS=FAT32 QUICK, and finally, to reassign a drive letter, type ASSIGN.

If you're unable to determine the proper disk, remove the SD card, run DISKPART and LIST DISK, and then re-run it with the SD card inserted. The SD card is just the disk that has been added.

Note that the above commands are not case sensitive; I used caps to match the convention DISKPART displays.

FDISK / CFDISK (Linux/Mac)
In a terminal, start fdisk /dev/sdx where /dev/sdx is your SD card device (may depend on the Linux distro you're using, see below). You can then delete all existing partitions on the device by typing d, and then adding a single new partition & format it. You an also just type n to create a new partition table, and start laying everything out.

cfdisk is also another viable tool, which is basically fdisk with a greatly improved user interface. In both cases, once the drive is formatted, you will lastly need to mount it.

If you're unable to determine the proper device, remove the SD card, run fdisk -l, and then re-run it with the SD card inserted. The SD card is just the device that has been added.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 1/23/2016 at 1:51 PM, Oscar Avalle said:

Thanks!!

Oscar,

Did my previous post work for you? I have figured out how to clone my Garmin SD card with a generic and it works just like kmyfm20s has said. Let me know if you still need a card and I'll send you one of my cloned cards with an out of date data source... or I can write up a step by step process to clone a known good card.

On 1/23/2016 at 4:43 PM, Oscar Avalle said:

Mine were corrupted after a software update had a bug that failed to clear old data. Just reformat the SD card and it should work fine. But according to my avionics shop we don't really need Garmin SD. 

• Like 1

Bob I believe to be IFR "legal" it needs to be a Garmin card. That's assuming you are ramp checked after an IFR flight and they pull the data card to check. That all being said the data is downloaded to the unit and I don't know if the card is necessary for operation.

4 minutes ago, co2bruce said:

Bob I believe to be IFR "legal" it needs to be a Garmin card. That's assuming you are ramp checked after an IFR flight and they pull the data card to check. That all being said the data is downloaded to the unit and I don't know if the card is necessary for operation.

I believe the flight charts are not resident in the 750. Most, perhaps all, the other material is.

OTOH, I think all the files, including approach plates, are loaded into the portable 696.  (I.e., except check lists created with Garmin ACE),

15 minutes ago, co2bruce said:

Actually, I had this discussion several weeks ago with my avionics shop and also my instructor (an FAA regional manager for NextGen and Inspector).  They don't care what badge is on the physical card - only the source and quality of the data on the card.  I have about 6 or 7 cards I rotate among my 750 and G500 so I have a second set in case any are corrupt, and only three of them are "Garmin"-marked cards.  As long as you format the cards to a FAT32 standard (for non-tech folks, it's a pulldown line within the "Format" option after right-clicking the drive letter associated with your card on your PC), the card will work if the data is copied in its entirety, assuming an undamaged card.  There is nothing unique or proprietary about the Garmin-labelled cards, contrary to popular belief.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

Actually, I had this discussion several weeks ago with my avionics shop and also my instructor (an FAA regional manager for NextGen and Inspector).  They don't care what badge is on the physical card - only the source and quality of the data on the card.  I have about 6 or 7 cards I rotate among my 750 and G500 so I have a second set in case any are corrupt, and only three of them are "Garmin"-marked cards.  As long as you format the cards to a FAT32 standard (for non-tech folks, it's a pulldown line within the "Format" option after right-clicking the drive letter associated with your card on your PC), the card will work if the data is copied in its entirety, assuming an undamaged card.  There is nothing unique or proprietary about the Garmin-labelled cards, contrary to popular belief.

This is good to know.

I'm not sure which is more obscene - Garmin making the cards proprietary for no reason or their trying to sell you a regular non-proprietary card thinking it's special for $100.

And the NAV data subscription business  is a colossal racket 

And the Garmin software to update the cards monthly is simply horrible.

10 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Mine were corrupted after a software update had a bug that failed to clear old data. Just reformat the SD card and it should work fine. But according to my avionics shop we don't really need Garmin SD. 

I agree and for a while I was using a normal card, but then in another forum the issue came up and it seems that we are only legal if we use Garmin cards...

Oscar

Just now, Oscar Avalle said:

I agree and for a while I was using a normal card, but then in another forum the issue came up and it seems that we are only legal if we use Garmin cards...

Oscar

The differing opinions are interesting. I've never tried this, but once the data is loaded will the system work with the card removed from the unit?

BTW, anyone who has a Garmin subscription should check out the new pricing of Onepak. It is worth converting even if you are not at an anniversary. I saved several hundred dollars and got more data on more devices by calling Garmin and converting. (There's an earlier thread on the subject started by Don Kaye.)

Just now, co2bruce said:

I thought the card said TSO on it. I would love a definitive answer because standard cards are 1/10th the price. Learn something new everyday.

I don't "know" for sure. However my avionics shop is a real stickler for staying legal and they are the folks who told me i could use a generic SD card. As it turned out the corrupted Garmin cards that i assumed I would have to replace were fine after reformatting. IOW, there is nothing on the SD that has to be preserved and fell free to clean it.