New member, SLC, Utah

Hi everyone - I'm a new ppl with an interest in aviation and Mooneys dating back to my teens. That was 20+ years ago, and life has finally settled down to the point that I've been able to pursue this passion! I'm looking forward to spending some time around here and learning, thanks to all who share their knowledge and experience. I'm also in the early stages of shopping around for a potential first plane. I'm considering a range of options, but the 201 has always been my dream bird and I think fits my mission profile pretty well (mostly covering ground in and around our scenic state and the western USA w/ my wife and our two young kids). That said, I've never actually sat in a Mooney, so I'm also exciting to try and find opportunities to meet and visit w/ Mooney drivers in our region, pick their brains, and maybe even hitch a ride or two and get a feel for the airplane. If you or someone you know is in the vicinity and are willing to coach a newbie please let me know! Happy flying...Gabe

Welcome Gabe and congrats on your PPL it's always great to hear of someone that has followed through with there dream of flight as opposed to pretend flight on the latest game system. I'm not close so can't be much help with your request to get some Mooney exposure but I can tell you they are a joy to pilot. I've spent a couple hundred hours in mine and am really starting to mesh with it where it becomes more instinctive and connected with what I want it to do. Good luck with your search and your new flying experience.

Thanks all - yes I've definitely been looking at the M20K as well. Am not sure about the cost/benefit tradeoff for me...seems like there is a significant added cost for operations/maintenance and also for acquisition (at least for the late year or upgraded models with the LB and MB engines), and I anticipate my family won't be too excited about flying w/ oxygen. One the other hand, the better climb rates and added speed between 8 and 12,000 MSL would get us over a lot of the topography out here...

Gabe, what did you learn in? If it was a standard, normally aspirated 180 HP 172 or Cherokee, you know you can do a lot in terms of travel. You should also know from your training how easily that capability disappears once you start adding people and get closer to max gross. I doubt your kids are getting any smaller.

A normally aspirated Mooney (at least without an STC for a higher performance engine) is going to be subject to those same limitations.  Arguably more subject since, for example, if you look at the sample manuals you can find online, the takeoff and landing performance of a PA28 is better than a Mooney. You certainly can fly a Mooney in the mountains out there - I flew a C model and I have friends who have owned J models in Colorado, and most public, paved airfields will accommodate you since they tend to be longer than at sea level, but you will have some significant limits in terms of the places you can go and, especially the people you can take with you.

midlife - most of my time is in the C172N (160hp), more recently a bit in an AC114. I hear what you are saying...I don't have much experience but enough to have seen how a summer day w/ DA of 8000' affects climbout, especially w/ my 220-lb CFI on board! 

I haven't spent any time with the POHs for these aircraft, that's a good suggestion. Was able to find a pdf version for a 201 online and I see that I could anticipate an obstacle clearance distance of >5000' on some warm days at gross around here, something to keep in mind. I haven't been able to find a POH for the 231...anyone know where I can view an example w/o buying one? Thanks!

15 hours ago, Gabe Bowen said:

midlife - most of my time is in the C172N (160hp), more recently a bit in an AC114. I hear what you are saying...I don't have much experience but enough to have seen how a summer day w/ DA of 8000' affects climbout, especially w/ my 220-lb CFI on board! 

I haven't spent any time with the POHs for these aircraft, that's a good suggestion. Was able to find a pdf version for a 201 online and I see that I could anticipate an obstacle clearance distance of >5000' on some warm days at gross around here, something to keep in mind. I haven't been able to find a POH for the 231...anyone know where I can view an example w/o buying one? Thanks!

Yeah, the 231 manual is difficult to find online. But, from what I know, the K's advantage from its marginally larger engine translates to increased speed, but offset by the increased weight. Faster in cruise but worse in terms of takeoff and landing distance. You may want to be looking in terms of a 252 or an R or S model, and I think you can find copies of the PIM for the R and S online.

Gabe - welcome to the forum.  I also live in the SLC Valley and am looking to buy a J this year.  This site has been a great source of information and you can learn a lot just by looking thru it.  There are several E's, F's, and J's in the area as well, so don't be scared into buying a turbo.  It is amazing to me how many Easterners believe that you have to have one.  It not like you haven't flown small, 160-180 HP airplanes already.  You just have to know what you're doing!  Welcome again...and when I finally get my ride, I'll give you an orientation.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2016 at 8:07 AM, Trailbossauction said:

Gabe - welcome to the forum.  I also live in the SLC Valley and am looking to buy a J this year.  This site has been a great source of information and you can learn a lot just by looking thru it.  There are several E's, F's, and J's in the area as well, so don't be scared into buying a turbo.  It is amazing to me how many Easterners believe that you have to have one.  It not like you haven't flown small, 160-180 HP airplanes already.  You just have to know what you're doing!  Welcome again...and when I finally get my ride, I'll give you an orientation.

Thanks Trailbossauction! Flew into KOGD for the first time last Sunday, it was a beautiful day for flying! Good luck in your search. You make a good point, I think, in that moving from a 172 to a J won't exactly be a step backwards in any sense!

Edited by Gabe Bowen

On 1/19/2016 at 10:07 AM, Trailbossauction said:

Agreed. I flew both turbos and non-turbos in the Rockies. But one must also look at the limitations of the aircraft in relation to the missions one wants to accomplish.

Welcome Gabe.  The J is really nice.  I'll be purchasing an E soon but I liked the J a bit more but mission idea won out for now. 

One thing I noticed sitting in the pre J models is that seating is moved towards the walls a bit more to allow room for the manual retract bar.  I thought it would be a problem (it felt uncomfortable coming fresh out of 172s) but once I got in the air I realized it was not an issue.  Your wife will probably like the J more but they are double the price.  The manual retract on Mooneys is a very good product...Just not as fancy.  

One nice thing about the price of the pre J models is that I can pay it off quickly and then rework the instruments the way I want for IFR flight.  However, I've seen some J models with the G600/GNS combo that would add all the IFR redundancy I require for about $115k with around 1200 hours on the engine.  

Good luck with your search. 

Tim

Hi Gabe,

I have a J ,but I'm down in the good part of the state ;) KSGU. If you ever make it down here to soak in some sun,  I would be glad to take you up.  

As for N.A. vs turbo, I have never had to scrub a flight due to performance. Most runways around here are long. During the summer you just have to plan on being wheels up early in the morning.  I have taken off at near gross with an 8000 da @5500', no problem. Just have a good plan for obstacle clearance. 

1 minute ago, marky_24 said:

Hi Gabe,

I have a J ,but I'm down in the good part of the state ;) KSGU. If you ever make it down here to soak in some sun,  I would be glad to take you up.  

As for N.A. vs turbo, I have never had to scrub a flight due to performance. Most runways around here are long. During the summer you just have to plan on being wheels up early in the morning.  I have taken off at near gross with an 8000 da @5500', no problem. Just have a good plan for obstacle clearance. 

Hay, my picture to the left was taken at your airport.

Welcome Gabe.  I have an '82 J model.  I was based in Heber City and now I'm out of Idaho Falls.  My last plane was a turbo arrow.  I must say that I don't miss having the turbo at all.  I seldom fly over 12,500 and the J does just fine.  What I do miss once in a while is the greater load available in the arrow.  Buying a plane is all about compromises. 

If you plan on flying IFR a lot out here then a high flyer makes more sense, so does TKS. 

Welcome Gabe,

If you want to sit in an E model and possibly take a quick flight, I'm a short hop away in Reno.  I'm always looking for reasons to stretch out my legs a bit more.  Flying the valley's around Reno gets boring after awhile....just kidding, it never gets old...  :)

I do prefer the airports in Ogden (KOGD) since it's easier for arrivals and avoiding the Class B.

Cheers,

Brian

Edited by flight2000

Thanks everyone! Been "working" and away from the forum this week, so glad to see this info and hear from some folks in the region!

Marky - I'll PM you, would love to get down to your neck of the woods for a flight and to escape our inversion!

Dfgreene -  it's a little harder for me to get up your direction with this winter weather, but I will definitely be headed up to Pocatello sometime this spring so maybe I'll drop you a line when I go that way.  There is actually a turbo arrow down here in the city for sale right now that I have taken a look at. I'm not fundamentally adverse to the turbos, just a matter of costs and benefits. As someone else pointed out on here every plane involves trade-offs!  I have also read that the turbo arrow is somewhat of a lackluster performer, but Sounds like it worked well for you.  I plan to stay out of conditions that could turn my airplane into a giant ice ball if it all possible! Just not an essential part of my mission profile to be in winter IFR. 

And flight2000 -  if you get a hankering to head out this way just let me know, I am always up for a new flying experience!