Gear Bypass Switch (red button) next to gear switch

M20JFlyer

From my POH

A BY-pass switch (red button) is installed next to gear switch to override safety switch circuitry if the gear does not retract.

in a 91-J ...why do I think there is a small light bulb behind the red button that lites.. to indicate activation of the bypass sw.

Vast Group of knowledgeable MS people !!!

If by chance my hangar ferry looked behind the red button could he see and then borrow a small bulb. Because H. Ferries can sometimes be helpful I don't want to accuse him ..but only learn if he did see one.. What did he see..and where would I find another bulb?

From my POH

A BY-pass switch (red button) is installed next to gear switch to override safety switch circuitry if the gear does not retract.

in a 91-J ...why do I think there is a small light bulb behind the red button that lites.. to indicate activation of the bypass sw.

Vast Group of knowledgeable MS people !!!

If by chance my hangar ferry looked behind the red button could he see and then borrow a small bulb. Because H. Ferries can sometimes be helpful I don't want to accuse him ..but only learn if he did see one.. What did he see..and where would I find another bulb?

I don't think there is a bulb behind there that comes on with the Nav light. It does comes on when you press it if I recall correctly.

2983c9fc15f600e4474d4946d880635e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, bradp said:

Yes I recall a light comes on when you push the button.  Tested it during swing at owner assist annual a couple of years ago.  

Did the same thing last year.  I think it lights up and starts buzzing when you bring the gear handle up on the ground.  It extinguishes when the gear is fully retracted.

• 2 years later...

That is the by pass switch that allows for retraction when the airspeed or squat switch fails to work...

Squat switches fail over time with donut health and chilly OATs...

Use caution pushing it while on the ground.  It by passes the safety that the airspeed and squat switches provide.

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

36 minutes ago, chrixxer said:

So, I have this switch, and have no idea - what does it do? It's not discussed in the owner's manual anywhere. 1969 M20F, but the switch looks aftermarket (e.g., the corner of the placard had to be cut off to fit where it's mounted on the panel).

It's handy at annual time to do the gear swing.

58 minutes ago, carusoam said:

That is the by pass switch that allows for retraction when the airspeed or squat switch fails to work...

Squat switches fail over time with donut health and chilly OATs...

Use caution pushing it while on the ground.  It by passes the safety that the airspeed and squat switches provide.

So, what, you put the gear lever "up" (gear retract position) and then hold down the red button until the gear are up and locked?

You put the gear switch up and nothing happens...

If you have an airspeed switch, make sure you are actually above flying speed...

So you push the by-pass button,  verify the motion by looking at the floor position indicator... 

As for lights... Some gear up switches are made at the same time the gear down switch opens... so the GU switch may not indicate the gear is all the way up... I have the gear unsafe light... anything but down...

On the floor I have green and barber pole... hard to tell if the gear were to stop half way...

I do have the physical bump when the gear go over center. Good for the down direction...

There are a few variations of the system.

i don’t recall push and hold. Maybe somebody can fill in that detail.

With a latch type of logic, expect the motion to start requires all the right switches to be in place, but, once the action starts.  It goes until the limit switch is hit.

Include in your notes...

Always verify the e-gear is not unlatched... with any strangeness in the gear operations.

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

17 minutes ago, carusoam said:

You put the gear switch up and nothing happens...

If you have an airspeed switch, make sure you are actually above flying speed...

So you push the by-pass button,  verify the motion by looking at the floor position indicator... 

As for lights... Some gear up switches are made at the same time the gear down switch opens... so the GU switch may not indicate the gear is all the way up... I have the gear unsafe light... anything but down...

On the floor I have green and barber pole... hard to tell if the gear were to stop half way...

I do have the physical bump when the gear go over center. Good for the down direction...

There are a few variations of the system.

I don't have a bypass switch, but the floor indicator has three indications:

1. Green = Gear Safe light, gear is down and locked [with a hard-to-miss thump]
  2. Red = Gear Unsafe light, gear is up and locked [it thuds gently into position under me]
  3. Barber Pole = Gear Unsafe light, gear in transit

I never noticed #3 until one winter with old pucks, my gear wouldn't go up all the way and the horn would sound continuously. When they finally went up the last bit (thud!), the horn would shut off and the plane would immediately accelerate 5-10 mph. New pucks cured this behavior, and I haven't seen the barber pole since.

• Like 1

So, I have this switch, and have no idea - what does it do? It's not discussed in the owner's manual anywhere. 1969 M20F, but the switch looks aftermarket (e.g., the corner of the placard had to be cut off to fit where it's mounted on the panel).

It was a retrofit kit that was made available by Mooney and a number of us had them installed. Especially those of us with mechanical squat switches and operated in cold temps where the donuts did not expand enough to activate the switch.

It is a push and hold until you get the gear up indication.

68ef347c54849150deb284f810eb7084.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 3:24 PM, chrixxer said:

I don’t think Mooney’s came with this switch in 69 so maybe it was a kit they offered?

-Robert