Cirrus Down Jan 8 2016

He ran out of gas after being unable to execute an instrument approach at two consecutive airports . . . How many fuel stops did he pass over between Erie and Charlotte?

How did he manage to run the tanks empty in just over 400 nm???

news says he ran out of gas.  ARRRGGG.  A good rule of thumb is to always land with at least 1.5 hours worth of fuel in the tanks.  At least the parachute saved his spouse from having to pay the ultimate price for his poor planning & decision making.

Have you seen the fuel burn on an SR-22? I can see why maybe he wasn't keeping his tanks topped off. Gas gets expensive when you have to buy so much of it at once.

news says he ran out of gas.  ARRRGGG.  A good rule of thumb is to always land with at least 1.5 hours worth of fuel in the tanks.  At least the parachute saved his spouse from having to pay the ultimate price for his poor planning & decision making.

If you listen to the ATC audio, in the end he down to 11gal, 25 mins.

It's also apparent he is way out of his comfort zone, way behind.

I know Cirrus have excellent avionics and I believe AP with glide slope capture, if I was him I would have request a GPS approach via IF instead of being vectored, then he would have just activated the approach and let do the hard work.

They were vectoring him around and switching approaches GPS, the ILS...it was just TMI for him to handle.

He ran out of gas after being unable to execute an instrument approach at two consecutive airports . . . How many fuel stops did he pass over between Erie and Charlotte?

How do you spell "Alternate"?

Clarence

How do you spell "Alternate"?

Clarence

C -- H -- U -- T -- E

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

As if he had any control once he popped the chute . . .

NO $%^&?  Really?  Once under a canopy in an airplane you have no control.  Huh.  Didn't realize that.  Thank God you clarified that.  No possibility of joking around with the response.  NOPE, I was serious as a heart attack.  Good clarification there.

Good Grief.

Running out of fuel in 400m he must have started with partial fuel.  Was weight an issue?

81 gallons divided by 310 HP does not go far.  If he did not fuel at Erie that's another hour according to Flightaware.

Monroy may have a new market for long range fuel.

Clarence

who needs fuel when you have a chute

yay another "save"

Two attached photos show aircraft where each pilot was unable to get the plane on the runway in IMC.  One shows a "save" and the other the wreckage where three people lost their lives.  A save is a f'n save.  People die flying mostly because of human factors that cannot adequately eliminated with design and training.
The third photo shows what can happen even when you get a super-human involved. 
I really wish I was as perfect as some of you guys then I wouldn't want a chute.

save.JPG

save1.JPG

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

I really wish I was as perfect as some of you guys then I wouldn't want a chute.

Its not that the guy used the parachute to save the day.  It's that he used it when he had a perfectly functional airplane with an hour's fuel.  He had plenty of alternatives, but used the chute because he was a crappy pilot.

Like I said, if I ever need a parachute to save me from myself I don't belong in the sky.  I'm not a big fan of them because the things I do want them to save me from, midair collisions, medical incapacitation, and catastrophic malfunction, are all somewhat rare.  Pilots still mostly die from mundane stuff like VFR into IMC, low level antics and running out of gas.  Since I won't do any of that I don't need a thousand dollar a year insurance policy, which is what a parachute is.

• Like 3