Bill Wheat

M20F

Trey Hughes sent this to MAPA email list this morning " MAPA Family, I am sad to report that Bill Wheat is now under Hospice care at an assisted-living facility in Kerrville.  I would ask that the Mooney family pray for Bill and his family during this significant time in his life."

• Like 1

Hang in there Mr. Wheat! You're always in our thoughts and prayers!

Thank you for always being there willing to share your immense knowledge and expertise! 

I bought my airplane on the advice of Mr. Bill Wheat. In addition to answering the phone in the middle of the night at Mooney, during the day he was with Ronnie Kramer and Vanette at Dugosh across the field from Mooney! He had first hand knowledge of the airplane and the previous owner as it had been maintained by Dugosh since birth. 

I can never Thank You enough Mr. Wheat.

From a 2008 article online:
"Bill Wheat, who is now 78, feels the same way. "I'm doing something I really enjoy, so why should I quit doing it? I have no desire to retire. I certainly can't sit around and watch television all day," he notes. Instead, he arrives at the Mooney plant each day at around 2 AM…and stays for about 12 hours. "I get there early enough so that Mooney operators in Australia, Asia, South Africa and Europe have someone they can reach when they call with a technical problem. It's what I want to be doing. It keeps me going."

From Ralph Waldo Emerson:
"Our chief want is someone who will inspire us to be what we know we could be." 

They just don't make 'em like Bill any more.  Thanks and Godspeed Mr. Wheat.

• Like 4

I visited Bill in October in the assisted living center and they are doing an excellent job of taking care of him. Sid and Nora Pool, good friends of his and mine are stopping in a few times a week to check up on him. If you get him talking about Mooneys he brightens up and the wealth of knowledge begins to come out. I need to get back up there to see him - I'm only an hour away.

• Like 1

I met Bill years ago what a great Mooney guy and even better person. My families prayers are with you that includes my extended Mooney family. May God bless you Bill

BTW  Trey is another great person and Mooney lover, selfishly I hope we will have others who will make there presence felt, we all know they can never replace them

Godspeed

I am a Mooney pilot because of Bill Wheat.  

He signed my '65Cs Log book after he test flew it in 1965.

He answered my call to get the data I needed to put the tiny breather hole back in my C's MP line 40 years later.  He is a fountain of knowledge.

It was nice to see him in the 'Boots' movie.

Godspeed, Mr. Wheat,

-a-

Bill is an absolute treasure!  The entire reason the Boots movie was created, was because of the knowledge and the treasure of that man, Bill Wheat. 

At the 2011 MAPA Homecoming in Kerrville, Bill was our guest speaker.  It was obvious at that event, that Bill's intimate knowledge of Mooney was invaluable, not to mention his adorable and charming character as well.

It was during his speech presentation, I felt strongly that a small part of his history and knowledge certainly needed some documentation...........hence the project began.

We could not begin to cover his entire history or knowledge of Mooney, but Bill's presence in the movie was designed to offer just a hint at all. 

The movie is truly a labor of love of Bill, of the product and for many of the folks who worked at Mooney for all those years!

I only wish we would have started the project years ago................

Edited by MooneyMitch
  • Like 4

When I bought my 1968 F as a project airplane, people assured me that the Mooney factory was committed to supporting the older airframes.  Throughout the years of converting my plane into a more modern aircraft, I consulted Bill sometimes weekly.  He was always very helpful and took a practical approach with his suggestions and advice.  I still smile at his character when I think about his answering "How are you Bill?" with a predictable "Terrible, Just Terrible." 

He has been an asset to the Mooney Factory and the Mooney community.  More importantly, he is an example of the honesty, work ethic and passion of the 1950's is being seen less and less in today's world.

I sincerely appreciated having Bill there on the other end of the phone.

John Breda

• Like 10

• 3 months later...

Bill was such an incredible person, test-pilot, engineer and Mooney Guru.  My thoughts and prayers are with his daughter Linda and the rest of the family.  He is probably in Heaven as we mourn, trying to figure out how to get a few more knots out of his new wings.

He had so much fun with the clapper when we filmed Boots on the Ground

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6s_ZvnHYdo

• Like 4

His favorite junk food was Funyuns. I would send him a big box with maybe a dozen bags in it just to stay on his good side. We went to see him a few weeks ago at the nursing home.  It was a tuff visit, I wanted to see him one more time. He was not very responsive until Jan said Don is here and he has funyons. He opened his eyes and said FUNYONS and then closed them again. Awesome guy and is missed already. He told his daughter a few days ago that he remembered how big John Wayne's funeral was and wanted to out do him. So try and come to the funeral if your close. If you fly a Mooney, anywhere is close. 

Dmax

• Like 14

I wish I could go, too.  

I met him in the late '90s at the factory.  If I had known then what I know now about Bill Wheat, I would've spent more time talking with him.  And having him take me on the factory tour.  And asking him more about the history of the different models.  And what is was like flying the twin Mooney.

etc., etc., etc...

• Like 1