Bad Landing

gsxrpilot

14 hours ago, steingar said:

I really appreciate the discussion.  My experience has been having a closed throttle over the numbers at 70mph.  Wham!  Keep a bit of power in it smooths things out.  I can come in power off a bit fast and let it settle in it works, but boy do I float.

I take it back, if I come in low behind the power curve I can then close the throttle coming over the numbers and have a nice greaser.  I just philosophically don't like coming in behind the power curve, just in case something happens to the power.  Rare, I know, but not unheard of.

Shadrach is a better Mooney pilot than I, since I don't have the self confidence to do T&G's in the more complex aircraft.  Then again, I imagine he's been flying one a bit longer and is significantly more dialed in, designing a new nose for them and all.

Actually, I imagine most folks here are better Mooney pilots than I.  At least for now.  Enjoy it while it lasts, boys!

I believe you're confusing me with Sabremech!  He is the designer and producer of the fine looking cowl mod that has been discussed in several other threads.

I am a lowly PP with something (haven't tallied in a while) north of 1000hrs over the last few decades in a variety of SEL aircraft but mostly Mooneys and lately a Decathlon.  I posted that video because I thought it was germane to the discussion.  What I was trying to showcase is that (IMO) power is not needed to make smooth landings nor is excess energy (i.e. flying it on).  What the old adage about power for altitude and pitch for airspeed is really trying to convey is that power simply adds energy and everything else is managed with control surfaces.  On both of those landings I was power off well before crossing the threshold. Why? Because I had adequate energy to make my landing point and flare for touchdown. At that point it is just a matter of using proper pitch to arrive at the point of flare with enough energy to arrest the descent and make a smooth touchdown.  

The touch & go is the easy part.  The part that takes practice is transitioning to a smooth, power off touchdown as the wing fully stalls but as the tail is still flying.  We could debate the smoothness of those touchdowns ('twas a bit cross windy, so that's my excuse:D), but they were far from harsh and the nose wheel never made contact with the runway.  After the mains are securely planted the departure basically becomes a soft field take off. 

9 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Ross,

Did you solo on your 16th birthday?

Some guys have been deep into aviation from an early age.  I think you may be one!:)

Best regards,

-a-

I did grow up around planes, but was too busy chasing the fairer sex as a teen to commit my modest resources to flying lessons!  I solo'd  a C150 in 1997 at the delicate age of 23...<_<  I transitioned to the Mooney about 12 years ago with 200hrs to the hour (per my insurance underwriter). 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 1/13/2016 at 11:50 PM, Bob_Belville said:

My short body E may be a little different from your F but I always land full nose up trim, full flaps. At least when the CG is forward with 1 or 2 souls on board. But I am short and I have the seat in the second position from the front for landing and take off. I slide it back 2 or 3 notches in cruise. I also never hear the stall horn in the flare.  

If I am solo or have just the front seats filled, I’m typically full nose up trim as well.