Bad Landing

gsxrpilot

I'm really not trying to be an ass... and I'm flying a C which is, I'm sure, much easier to land than David or Joe's long body. But I've not bounced one in a long time and it caught me by surprise. I didn't pin the upwind (left) wing down quick enough and got lifted back up. You can see I over corrected a bit and am upwind of the center line.

I got in three landings at three different airports that day in the gusty conditions. KAUS the runways are HUGE, KRCK is 3000x50 in the trees, and then this one is my home field 84R which is an easy 4000x75. It's good to get out a practice on these types of days.

And thanks for all the nice compliments. 

One of my worst landings ever. I don't know the exact numbers on the wind, but it was strong and very gusty. Another guy in an Arrow went around twice and left.

Did you post the wrong video? Seriously, I've seen and recorded Mooneys land worse in great conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Looks like you might hit on the nosewheel first?  Guess I'm the only one here willing to give you credit for it being pretty crappy :lol:   Still, if I had a Go Pro I'm sure I could top it quite easily.

I noticed too - but I thought it would be funnier the comment about parallel parking.

• Like 1

Your post, not your video, reminds me of when I took a friend flying in my Bravo after I had about 35 hours in it. We were landing at KMYF on 28L (~3400') in a fairly strong/gusty crosswind. Well, I don't know what I was thinking :wacko: but I came in with full flaps, crab and kick, bounced about 3' in the air and promptly went around. When you do that you don't have to turn your head to see your passengers eyes bug out of their sockets and touch the windshield :blink: - they're in your peripheral vision at that point.

I really don't think your landing was a bounce, but that's just from my PERSONAL experience.

• Like 3

Looks like you might hit on the nosewheel first?  Guess I'm the only one here willing to give you credit for it being pretty crappy :lol:   Still, if I had a Go Pro I'm sure I could top it quite easily.

So that made me go back and view the evidence in super slo-mo. I was thinking the same that the wheelbarrow landing was part of the problem.  It turns out the sequence was Left...Right...Nose...Left and back in the air. It was a strong left cross wind so Left down first was good. I just didn't pin it down.  The second time, both Left and Right touch down in the same frame and there's still air under the nose wheel.

GoPro's are so much fun to work with. I need to remember to keep them charged and use them more often.

The super slo-mo clip is on my Vimeo page.

• Like 1

Left-Right-Nose-left-left-right-nose is what I saw. The first two were easy, the smoke puffs are very visible. It was interesting watching the nose wheel indicate your rudder corrections.

Thankfully for this video, your belly strobe is turned off. On purpose?

I'd give that landing more than a passing score. With significant gusts and crosswind, I'd be tempted to rank it "superior." My own landings are generally better with a little wind, I can't hardly hit the runway in a dead calm.

• Like 1

Good job keeping up the nose so it didn't cause the oscillation of shame , was probably a little fast on the approach , You could see by the way the plane was correcting that you were really working hard to keep it stable... Is that a no flapper , or is it just the camera placement that makes it look like the flaps are up....

Edited by Alan Fox

I sure like that video capability.  Really neat set up, and what a great tool for improving your landing technique.  Looks like you were just carrying to much speed at touch down indicated by not enough flair, certainly.  Come down final with full aft trim, Touch down on mains, with full trim makes the effort to pull enough back elev. a piece of cake.  Also forces you to control speed on landing.  Practice landing with the nose wheel off..and keep holding off as long as you can.  Gets to be a game, Lots of fun to bring back up a little power & taxi down to the end of the runway with the nose still not yet on the runway.  Improves your rudder skills, too.  The video to me didn't look like much of an xwind,  There was no evidence of a yaw or correction of crab as the nose wheel was dead straight (except for a little blip there at touch down).  If you're a fwd. slip dude, then no bank angle or rudder/nose wheel deflection.  No sign that you set the windward wheel down, first.  Or that there was a windward wheel.  What airport, I fly out of KCFD (Bryan TX).  I know when I've got a strong xwind, coming down final and I've got it xcontrolled to the stops and barely able to maintain centerline..when I can't, that's when I go look for another AP!  Also, when you get down low..and you see all of the small pieces of grass being blown sideways across the runway...get READY!

I sure like that video capability.  Really neat set up, and what a great tool for improving your landing technique.  Looks like you were just carrying to much speed at touch down indicated by not enough flair, certainly.  Come down final with full aft trim, Touch down on mains, with full trim makes the effort to pull enough back elev. a piece of cake.  Also forces you to control speed on landing.  Practice landing with the nose wheel off..and keep holding off as long as you can.  Gets to be a game, Lots of fun to bring back up a little power & taxi down to the end of the runway with the nose still not yet on the runway.  Improves your rudder skills, too.  The video to me didn't look like much of an xwind,  There was no evidence of a yaw or correction of crab as the nose wheel was dead straight (except for a little blip there at touch down).  If you're a fwd. slip dude, then no bank angle or rudder/nose wheel deflection.  No sign that you set the windward wheel down, first.  Or that there was a windward wheel.  What airport, I fly out of KCFD (Bryan TX).  I know when I've got a strong xwind, coming down final and I've got it xcontrolled to the stops and barely able to maintain centerline..when I can't, that's when I go look for another AP!  Also, when you get down low..and you see all of the small pieces of grass being blown sideways across the runway...get READY!

Interesting comment on the full aft trim. I never see full aft trim on landing. Most of the time it is a bar width north of the take-off position.

What are others seeing? Ah, come on, you have to admit it is better than talking about LOP, Timmy or how many women I can fit in my Mooney.

• Like 1

I'd be suspicious of a full aft trim setting on landing.  I'd either suspect a mis-indexed trim indicator, or someone who to holds forward pressure against the trim on final.

Full aft trim is not a great set-up in case of a go around.  There's enough going on without having to fight the trim.

On my C, I usually see the trim marker just above the top of the take-off range....pretty much as Marauder suggests  I don't remember ever seeing a "book" setting for landing.

• Like 2

I'd be suspicious of a full aft trim setting on landing.  I'd either suspect a mis-indexed trim indicator, or someone who to holds forward pressure against the trim on final.

Full aft trim is not a great set-up in case of a go around.  There's enough going on without having to fight the trim.

On my C, I usually see the trim marker just above the top of the take-off range....pretty much as Marauder suggests  I don't remember ever seeing a "book" setting for landing.

Even with just a bar's width above the takeoff position, it can be handful with lots of pressure. Never understood how those guys with the big HP Mooneys do it.

Interesting comment on the full aft trim. I never see full aft trim on landing. Most of the time it is a bar width north of the take-off position.

What are others seeing? Ah, come on, you have to admit it is better than talking about LOP, Timmy or how many women I can fit in my Mooney. emoji848.png

That's generally where my trim is after I taxi in. When I'm light, that's also where I put it for takeoff.

I just ignore the many threads extolling the virtues of landing with Full Up trim, just like I do the many more insisting upon landing with Full Flaps. But in my limited experience, the F lands better with Full Flaps, but I didn't notice trim position.

Edited by Hank

With this landing, I was certainly a bit fast. It was no flaps and a bit of extra speed as I usually do when dealing with a cross wind. Of course when flying formation with other Mooney's our SOP is over the numbers at 90, no flaps. Those formation landings I often roll the mains on and hold the nose wheel off for a couple of thousand feet or so and without ever touching the brakes.

I can also bring it in very slow, with full flaps. And when I do, I agree with mike20papa that I'm at full up trim.  In fact I was demonstrating this to FlyingSchmidt just last week.  On final with the runway made, power off,  full flaps, and immediately spin the trim wheel with a finger to full up trim.  The plane just about lands its self hands off.  Of course if I had to go around, it takes some muscle to overcome the trim, but it can be done.