How my CFI died

Just now, HRM said:

I just think they ought to require you to list your Mooney's N-number. 

If you don't have one, then you get the label: I have no Mooney, hence I have no life.

Lastly, if your Mooney is Super you get to bounce people off the list.

This would help, but it seems a lot of folks own their planes through corporate type entities, which puts us right back where we were.

Real names don't mean a thing. The bad apples will just make up a name and an email account and be an alias on the forum. While I throw my real name out there once and a while I don't think it needs to be on every post. If you look close enough you can almost figure out everyone's name here if you know about aviation. I don't I want people Googling me for braces and having one of my MooneySpace post popping up. Likewise I have seen posters making personal threats during discussions and I certainly wouldn't want that to spill over to my professional world. Safety also comes to mind, after all we do use are plane to leave home and travel. We become very familiar with the players that are active on this site but don't forget about all the lurkers out there.

• Like 3

Forum posters can stay hidden if they want to.

It is a tough, time consumming job for moderators to delete posts, or censure posters.

Isn't it better if we all just act nice and ignore those who don't?

And use a lot of smiley faces....:):):)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

I am glad to share my identity and whatever limited knowledge I have with my fellow Mooney pilots. However, I am relatively ignorant about someone using information on our forum in a way that may be detrimental to us. Is this a real concern.  How does that work. It would seem to me that the worst thing that anyone could find out about me is that I am an aircraft owner (thus, one of those despised rich folks).  

The good thing is right now this sort of surveillance is in its infancy.  As it is the NSA and other security agencies have powerful computers and algorithms to parse through social media and communications to detect terrorist threats.  The analytic tools are secret, and they can have real effects, like keeping you off an airliner.  I don't even think you can appeal in any meaningful way. This is real and ongoing.  

Such search engines are used routinely by financial companies to determine your credit score.  Again, the algorithms are secret, there is no sort of appeal and the analysis can have real effects, limiting the type of credit you can get or denying it altogether.

There are now companies developing software products to similar things for potential employers, scanning through social media and sites like this.  I know this all sounds tin-foil hat, but these things are being done, and what you put online stays there forever.  Many of the younger generation are realizing this, often to their own detriment.

• Like 2