Interior noise comparison E model to a J model

nels

Is there a noticeable difference in interior noise level from an E model to a J at cruise? Anybody ever do a decibel  

level comparison?

I haven't actually measured the difference between my F and an E, but a fellow Mooney owner's girlfriend did note that my 1975 F was quieter than his 1967 F. I don't know if there is better insulation in the later models or the fact that I have the 201 windshield on mine and he still has the original one on his.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't have anything close to a high quality headset (don't even know what brand they are) and have never thought noise an

issue. But I've spent my life around loud everything for as long as I can remember so perhaps the old ears ain't what they used to 

be. What?

My F is noisy, extremely noisy. A friend of mine used to own a stock standard 1982 M20k, which was so quiet inside that he never owned even one pair of headsets, for all of the 22 years that he flew the M20K. It was almost car like in flight and one could just about have a normal conversation.

The newer Mooney's does seem to be far better insulated, compared to the vintage models, so I would like to think that any stock M20J would be less noisy than a stock pre 70's F. This can be addressed by installing insulation, and although apparently effective, it does carve away at the useful load.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lood said:

My F is noisy, extremely noisy. A friend of mine used to own a stock standard 1982 M20k, which was so quiet inside that he never owned even one pair of headsets, for all of the 22 years that he flew the M20K. It was almost car like in flight and one could just about have a normal conversation.

The newer Mooney's does seem to be far better insulated, compared to the vintage models, so I would like to think that any stock M20J would be less noisy than a stock pre 70's F. This can be addressed by installing insulation, and although apparently effective, it does carve away at the useful load.

Mine has insulation and a 1/4 inch windshield and its not really that loud but the firewall is kind of a joke in a C.  The cockpit is not really separated from the engine compartment well at all.  I hope the newer ones are different.  

Even my nose gear well is almost open air.  The carpet covers huge holes in it.

10 hours ago, Lood said:

Our k is loud. Real loud. 

23 hours ago, ryoder said:

Mine has insulation and a 1/4 inch windshield and its not really that loud but the firewall is kind of a joke in a C.  The cockpit is not really separated from the engine compartment well at all.  I hope the newer ones are different.  

Even my nose gear well is almost open air.  The carpet covers huge holes in it.

I agree with the firewall and nose gear, Ryan. Just not much of anything to keep the outside from coming inside.

Has anybody checked the db count around the cabin to see where the bulk of the noise is initiated? I've thought about pushing some urethane strips or maybe non hardening putty between the skin and steel cage in various spots to stop the transfer of vibration to the shin. I also think, as Ryan mentioned, the floor around the front gear may be a large contributor. The exhaust noise is right there. Too bad that pipe can't be stretched to the rear of the cabin area, haha.

• Like 1

I spent a couple years working on my John Deere ear, then moved on to flying a AC560 (augmenter tubes) with no head sets for years, all while working in air cargo where I felt putting plugs in was not cool.  I have no idea how loud my F is unfortunately :-(

The db meter on my iPad shows 90 to 91 in my stock F. When I was a kid, Dad flew this plane without headsets! That seems insane to me. While insulating helped quiet it a bit, the real benefit was in eliminating cold spots. Back seater never complain about the temp.

The long body is strangely quiet inside.  It is pretty easy to keep warm as well.

My C leaked cold air and sound through every nook and cranny.  It had no insulation either.

There is plenty of sound deadening and warmer insulation that can be done to an old Mooney.  You just can't move the prop as far forward as the O has...

When I go on to the retirement M20E, I hope to remember this advice...

Best regards,

-a-

On January 1, 2016 at 0:00 PM, nels said:

Is there a noticeable difference in interior noise level from an E model to a J at cruise? Anybody ever do a decibel  

level comparison?

I measured 85 dB in my E ('66 Super 21) in flight. Possible damage in 8 hour exposure according to one site. OSHA requires protection at this level; i.e., The employer shall administer a continuing, effective hearing conservation program, as described in paragraphs (c) through (o) of this section, whenever employee noise exposures equal or exceed an 8-hour time-weighted average sound level (TWA) of 85 decibels.

It seems that wind noise is the main source of overwhelming noise in my F, rather than the engine or exhaust. I once measured it with a sound meter app on my iPhone and IIRC, it was somewhere around 103Db during take off and around 98Db in flight.

Edited by Lood

Yeah my C is loud, and cold. And no way to warm the back seat in the winter without roasting the front seat folks.  

Wow. The heater in my C will run me out of the plane! Did much of my IFR training in WV and OH, in the winter, evenings and weekends. Always had to remove layers in flight.

• Like 1

Wow. The heater in my C will run me out of the plane! Did much of my IFR training in WV and OH, in the winter, evenings and weekends. Always had to remove layers in flight.

My heater puts out too. But the temp gradients in he cabin can be remarkable - leaves me wondering why I'm sweating and yet the back of my head is freezing.  Attempting millimeter adjustments on the heat cable with a nervous eye on the CO monitor is all I can do.

I love this site. For one I had no idea an iPad could be used as a Db meter using an app. Now I know and have downloaded one. Next time I fly my J I'll take some noise measurements and report back with my findings. This will be very good to know being that my infant son recently decided he will not allow himself to wear a headset while flying. He's not bothered by the noise and he's flown with them in the past be he's becoming a little more stubborn now and gets upset when we put them on him. Obviously I'm concerned about his hearing so this will be good information to know.

As for my opinion, I don't think my 1978 J is too terribly loud inside sans headsets but I know that prolonged exposure to loud noises can definitely be harmful. Especially to the younger ones who are still growing.

I haven't actually measured the difference between my F and an E, but a fellow Mooney owner's girlfriend did note that my 1975 F was quieter than his 1967 F. I don't know if there is better insulation in the later models or the fact that I have the 201 windshield on mine and he still has the original one on his.

So let me get this straight. You were flying around with "a fellow Mooney owner's girlfriend?"

How well did that go over with the...you know...the "women?!"

Or did you keep real "quiet" ?!

So let me get this straight. You were flying around with "a fellow Mooney owner's girlfriend?"

How well did that go over with the...you know...the "women?!"

Or did you keep real "quiet" ?!

The herd was fine with it. Very easy to distract them at feeding time.

I love this site. For one I had no idea an iPad could be used as a Db meter using an app. Now I know and have downloaded one. Next time I fly my J I'll take some noise measurements and report back with my findings. This will be very good to know being that my infant son recently decided he will not allow himself to wear a headset while flying. He's not bothered by the noise and he's flown with them in the past be he's becoming a little more stubborn now and gets upset when we put them on him. Obviously I'm concerned about his hearing so this will be good information to know.

As for my opinion, I don't think my 1978 J is too terribly loud inside sans headsets but I know that prolonged exposure to loud noises can definitely be harmful. Especially to the younger ones who are still growing.

My 78 is 91-92dB at 2400rpm cruise.

In regards to your son, with Bose you can plug iPod into it it will play music which might entice him to wear them. I would experiment at home, maybe they're too tight.