Interior noise comparison E model to a J model

nels

I have not seen it mentioned on various threads about noise, but the noise level definitely decreases with the thinner air at altitude. I normally cruise at 9K-12K and although I don't remove the Bose unless I am putting on the O2, it is definitely quieter at 12K, and was significantly quieter at 15K.  I am amazed just how much louder it is when I decend and level off in the pattern. 

• Like 1

I have not seen it mentioned on various threads about noise, but the noise level definitely decreases with the thinner air at altitude. I normally cruise at 9K-12K and although I don't remove the Bose unless I am putting on the O2, it is definitely quieter at 12K, and was significantly quieter at 15K.  I am amazed just how much louder it is when I decend and level off in the pattern. 

I've noticed the same thing.  I always figured it was the 50% power or so I was putting out at that altitude but I'm sure you're right that diminished air density is a significant contributor. 

Besides low engine power and low air density, passengers on board help with noise reduction. The more people on board the lower the noise level. Human tissue and clothing helps on absorbing noise. Best with four fat guys wearing parkas.

I've noticed the same thing. When the BMI goes up, the Dbs go down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This will be very good to know being that my infant son recently decided he will not allow himself to wear a headset while flying.

Would you allow your son to ride in your car sans a seat belt?

How about on a boat out in the gulf without a life preserver?

Sorry to be harsh, but the damage from noise is insidious and long term, as well as irreversible. Just because it does not cause pain does not mean it is not causing damage.

Wear A20's to drown out his yells until he realizes that you are not backing down.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Managing the noise seems to be the issue.   I managed the noise in C172 and C182 aircraft with Lightspeed 20XL.  Still after 3 hours, headset clamp and noise fatigue.   When I started flying a DA40 (360, two blade prop, aerodynamically clean) the 20XL would no longer do the job - I couldn't hear/understand ATC with take-off power.  Lightspeed Zulu helped, barely.   The air vents on the DA40 (older and newer) make tremendous noise - I always close them when I can.  Fiberglass airplanes like Cirrus and Diamonds seem to transmit the noise more than metal - have not flown in latest Cirrus models.   I have several hours right seat in B350 with active cabin noise damping and Bose headsets - beautiful - a very solid airframe, well insulated, turbine engines turning props at lower speeds than piston airplanes.   Aerodynamic noise is drag. I have flown in a M20F once and I thought it was noisy like the DA40.  I'm considering a M20J but I am concerned about the noise level.