2016 today's flight

bonal

So today we flew down to San Luis Obisbo for the eddy current inspect and had a great lunch while inspection took place. There was a nice Ovation getting ready to leave as we taxied in.  Nice restaurant when lunch was finished they were ready for us to go. Flight down gave us 151 knots true and smooth air. On the trip home we had the classic California N/W head wind an was down to 145mph ground. ATC vectoring us left an right for unknown reasons. No matter trip down took 1hr 40min return was 2:05 that's a 6 plus hour each way by car. I love flying up and down this state.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bonal said:

So today we flew down to San Luis Obisbo for the eddy current inspect and had a great lunch while inspection took place. There was a nice Ovation getting ready to leave as we taxied in.  Nice restaurant when lunch was finished they were ready for us to go. Flight down gave us 151 knots true and smooth air. On the trip home we had the classic California N/W head wind an was down to 145mph ground. ATC vectoring us left an right for unknown reasons. No matter trip down took 1hr 40min return was 2:05 that's a 6 plus hour each way by car. I love flying up and down this state.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I was teaching in that Ovation 3.  I, too, saw you holding short after landing.  After 20 landings in KSMX we hopped up there for lunch.  You came at a good time; after the lunch rush.

We then flew down to Lompoc and did some more landings there.  It's been very windy here the past week.  I've had 2 O3 transition trainings this week, one in Hanford and one in Santa Maria.

Sorry  I missed you.

• Like 1

The Elephant Bar has re-opened under the High Sierra bar and grill  name at SBA. It's pretty tasty. Located north of 25 next to the signature ramp. 

Super clear flight today in my good friends T182T. 

-Matt

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

So weather moving in today (air conditioner last night, heater today) so Mrs. Yetti and I made an evening flight for cheap fuel.  Still $2.949/gallon

Lots of hardware on the ramp at Brenham.  Really nice jet and 2 king airs.  who knew that selling charcoal briquets could be that profitable

20160331_190534.jpg

• Like 4

So weather moving in today (air conditioner last night, heater today) so Mrs. Yetti and I made an evening flight for cheap fuel.  Still $2.949/gallon

Lots of hardware on the ramp at Brenham.  Really nice jet and 2 king airs.  who knew that selling charcoal briquets could be that profitable

20160331_190534.jpg

Why did I have this mental image that you had white hair all over and not just on top of your head? You, my friend, are living proof that a 6'9" Yetti can indeed fit in a Mooney!

• Like 1

We took Snoopy down to LVK for moms 95th Bday flew right down the eastern edge of the heavy marine layer such a beautiful morning to be up in the air trip home was also very nice with smooth air. Ran at a relaxed 2400 22mp and still made 140TAS at 6500ft. 40 minutes to do what takes 2 hour 45 min by car all that Bay Area traffic over a mile beneath us sometimes it's not till you reach home that you realize how great it is to fly.

• Like 1

Took dad out Saturday for a quick run.  150 knots down low.  Only 108 knots on the way back.  Would have been perfect for an overhead maneuver, but it was still lunch time crowd.

Oh and my sewing career started a couple of years ago with some yardage or faux fur.  Everyone should have a Yetti outfit in the closet.  It is fun to take out at Halloween and scare the small kids.

DSC00278.JPG

• Like 2

As you know Yetti are mythical creatures(or are they).  To get a picture of one is very rare, to see one in an urban environment like a back yard is even rarer   If I said I was in the costume would that help you or hurt your belief in the Yetti legend?

• Like 2

Took dad out Saturday for a quick run.  150 knots down low.  Only 108 knots on the way back.  Would have been perfect for an overhead maneuver, but it was still lunch time crowd.

Oh and my sewing career started a couple of years ago with some yardage or faux fur.  Everyone should have a Yetti outfit in the closet.  It is fun to take out at Halloween and scare the small kids.

DSC00278.JPG

That post brings down Memory Lane. When my son was about 6, I took him dressed up like Jason Voorhees, complete with the hockey mask, blue overhauls and plastic machete.

Dad was dressed in the same garb. Between the people laughing and saying "like father, like son" and those running away, it left a great memory that my son recalls to this day.

• Like 2

I took a couple youngsters who work at my country club up in the Mooney today. One is 21 and finished his PPL late last year. He's working on his instrument right now. The other is an avid skydiver and she wanted me to fly inverted the whole time. Love her spirit!

Here I am with the pilot:

0403160845_HDR-XL.jpg

Buttes south of Denver:

0403160844-XL.jpg

Downtown Denver:

0403160858-XL.jpg

As you can see, it was a perfect day to fly!

• Like 1

Not much of a flight yesterday, and the only pictures were on my passenger's phone (darn it!). Having just moved to an airport redoing their fuel tank, I flew a whole 15 nm to gas up. Took a friend who had never been in a small plane, had the camera going taking pictures and video most of the way there and about halfway back. We detoured, did some flight seeing and got pictures and video of her flying the plane on the way back.

After we landed and put the plane away, I found out she was live streaming the video from the plane. Need to get a link to share.

As I was finishing pumping fuel ($3.30 at KALX), someone drove up on a golf cart and asked if we would like to take the courtesy car and go to dinner. I politely declined, while my passenger was shocked at the idea. The joys of GA! ;)

• Like 2

'Twas indeed a beautiful day yesterday. I went out and practiced power-off 180 degree turns at altitude. My new SOP is to leave the boost pump on until I reach the pre-determined altitude at which I'd attempt a turn-around. Until I turn it off I'm landing somewhat straight ahead. But I will say that the more I do this the less challenging it is. 936da38b9e9691a21d5c84faafe4c909.jpgbdc2ed99b22e36676d33ee0696ea29fe.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Nice CloudAhoy trail!

Looks like a non-WAAS source was used.  Less data points causing sharp angles in the lines.

Best regards,

-a-

Good catch. I just use the internal iPad GPS to drive Cloud Ahoy as my Stratus 2 is always on, and I don't believe that Cloud Ahoy can piggyback on it. I used to use a Dual XGPS150 before I got the Stratus but it's stuffed in my flight bag for a backup these days. Oh crap, I should probably charge that thing.

• Like 1

I upload all those to Foreflight but rarely import them into Cloud Ahoy. They seem more accurate though. It would be nice if Cloud Ahoy could use the Stratus as the primary position source.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am using an aged SkyRadar, but it does have a WAAS receiver.  It does a nice job on the finer details like T/O and landing distances...

The one place I can see the value of WAAS and it's importance guiding a plane towards the ground with accuracy.

Best regards,

-a-

So today while I'm at work my wife texts and says it's such a nice day how bout I meet you at the hangar after work and we go flying. How cool is that. With nowhere in particular to go we just decide to make a lap around our lake. Got a BFR to do so I slow it down to level flight at 90mph and do a couple 30 degree 360's thought about a stall but not with my wife she wouldn't like that. The wind was 10 plus knots on the approach swinging from down the runway to 90 degrees really liked my pattern and landing. Sometimes the best place to fly is nowhere 

• Like 7

PIREP - KFFA first flight, Wright Memorial. 

So today, I had a planned business trip to Edenton, NC from Pell City. I canceled my Southwest flight to Norfolk 1 hour before departure and filed my IFR flight plan. Once the package I was waiting on arrived, I left the office and arrived at the airport about 11:00 am. Departing direct to destination, I never needed to activate my flight plan. VFR all the way. Skirting ATL and CLT Bravo airspace, thankful I didn't have to file IFR,  I land in KEDE almost exactly 3 hours after departure. I collected the rental car and head for a cup of coffee and a bite to eat.  returning to the airport about 5:30pm. This is my 10th visit to the area but I have never had the chance to attempt KFFA due to weather or schedule. The winds today are howling out of the NE but I figure they will be more subdued as the evening sets in. 30 minutes enroute and I am calling into KFFA. After announcing the turn to downwind, I can see the wind is still intense, a 30 knot push at 1000'. ATIS announces winds from 70 degrees at 12 gusts to 24, winds variable from 340 to 070. Believe it or not, this is the best I have seen it. KFFA's 3000 foot runway is shorter than I am used to and will call for good control on speed in the Ovation. But I am light, and the headwinds should help. Turning final for 02, I get a sense of how gusty conditions are, looking at the runway out the side window and seeing the airspeed indicator bouncing between 65 knots and 85 knots. Things settle down below the tree line and I flare over the grass, coming to a stop about half way down the runway. Circling back, my heart beat is still elevated. Not sure if it is the challenging landing or the realization of 2 bucket items (Outerbanks and First Flight airport). I pull up to the ramp, snap a few photos, head to the pilot lounge to register then head up the short hike to the top of Kill Devil Hill. I can see why Wilbur and Orville chose this spot -steady winds out of the North! Not much else to do, so I return to N1051K to find a cub scout peeking into the window. We chat a while about planes and all the buttons and instruments then I need to get going as the field closes 30 minutes after sunset. The scout records every second of departure with his iPhone as I leave the earth again, circling up to 1000 agl. A brief tour of the beach and sound and then back to KEDE for a sunset landing. Did I mention it was a good day flying?!!

IMG_4287.jpg

IMG_4292.jpg

IMG_4296.jpg

IMG_4299.jpg

IMG_4302.jpg

IMG_4303.jpg

IMG_4312.jpg

IMG_4272.jpg

IMG_4331.jpg

IMG_4338.jpg

Edited by PMcClure
  • Like 6