2016 today's flight

bonal

4 hours ago, peevee said:

my last flight of the year went great.

airport ops didn't shovel in front of the hangar, so facing west it was icy as F and I had to shovel to get out

tug didn't start, had to pull out by hand, see #1

some weird fog/haze/snow layer moved in, had to get a popup and vectors for the ILS to get back

burnt myself on the exhaust grounding the plane to fuel

my ahrs for my ipad didn't work or display traffic

had to hand winch the plane in the hangar, see #1

:D

Whew!  I went pheasant hunting on last day of year.  I thought I was tired...until I read your post.  Glad you made it.

12/31/15 - 84R to KRBD 9500 10kts on the tail, smooth air. Solo with full tanks in cold air, the little C was climbing like a homesick angle. New kit including the CYA100 AOA and the GTX330ES putting TISB traffic on the 530W, all worked great.

Fun NYE house party with my wife and friends in Dallas.

1/1/16 - KRBD to 84R 3500 30kts on the tail, smooth air. 186kts ground speed makes for a quick and easy flight home.

A great way to wrap up the old year and start out the new one. Last year on 1/1/15 I was flying one of the hang gliders. This year on 1/1/16, flying the Mooney. 

140.3 hours of Mooney flight time in 2015. I'll try to do better this year.

• Like 4

YEAH.. The first day of the year and got Snoopy out for a milk run to WLW 25 degrees at 5500 ft 143 knots indicated had snow on our local mountains and lots of snow visible on the Sierras and Mt Shasta was in fine view over a hundred miles away completely covered in snow.

on a personal note it's always a bit tough to take flight after there is news of fellow pilots that have suffered accidents. Really glad to get back into the air to remind me what it's all about.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

My wife and I went from o69 to KCRQ and back today to visit family. 2h10m there and 2h35m returning. Doing this in a car is impossible! Doing this on a conventional airline would not be pleasant.

Doing it in a Mooney - Wow!!

Icing on the cake: for the first time my wife said she was really comfortable in the plane with a blanket she brought from home and that the blanket was staying in the plane. She also said "you woke me up on final and I was so comfortable". Wow!! (again). That blanket IS staying in the plane!!!!

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, David M said:

I'm still new and a student pilot. I've learned all but the basics of flying this thing by myself. Wondering if anyone has any comments on the landing I made.....brakes and all. I'm ashamed to say that I've only had about 12 hrs dual over the last 4 years. More than half of which was in a 172. I have almost 35 hrs solo in N65TX.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

David,

Are you saying you are a student pilot - not a licensed ASEL rated pilot - with only 12 hours of dual in the last 4 years and 35 hours solo in the Mooney? If so, it appears you are taking your 3 small children flying with you - am I correct?

Dave

14 minutes ago, Brandontwalker said:

Stupidity is oftentimes mistaken for confidence...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maybe he's a slow instrument student or a student or means a student to the type. I wouldn't think anyone would post video and admit to breaking the FARs but hey who knows.

David,

I'm willing to bet that you are a decent, safe, conscientious pilot who will probably have no problem passing his checkride.  You would probably need 3-5 hours to brush up on some maneuvers with an instructor and give you some prep for the oral.  There are weekend classes to help you pass the written- guaranteed.

Think about that- you could have your license in less than 2 weeks.  The Private Pilot checride is not hard.  It isn't a cake walk or a "gimme", but you don't have to be perfect, and you can mess up a surprising number of things and still pass.  And if you don't pass, then you only have to re-test the things you didn't  do correctly the first time.

Honestly, just showing up and saying you want to take your checkride in your Mooney will impress the crap out of the examiner.

Good luck, please let everyone know when you get your license.  It is closer than you think.

The things in life truly worth having are not easy.  But often all you need is the shot of confidence to get them done.

To David M-

Post has been deleted as per request. I really hope you reconsider your actions involving yourself, but more importantly, your kids. You need them to be alive and they need you to be alive. Many of us who have been doing this awhile have read loads of NTSB reports of low time pilots in over their head. Mooneys are far less forgiving than 172s to mistakes. Many of us with hundreds hours have had "Oh crap!" moments.

I don't really care about the FAA and the FARs all that much per say, what I care about is safety and when you really look at it hard and study the history, the FARs really are written in blood. Most are written for damn good reasons. The reports are full stories of guys that said "This airplane flying thing ain't no big deal.."

I say this out of genuine concern, not to chap your hide, or harsh your high. Go get a good instructor that knows Mooneys and get 'er done. 

Have fun and post back the progress. Fly safe most of all.

• Like 5

To David M-

Post has been deleted as per request. I really hope you reconsider your actions involving yourself, but more importantly, your kids. You need them to be alive and they need you to be alive. Many of us who have been doing this awhile have read loads of NTSB reports of low time pilots in over their head. Mooneys are far less forgiving than 172s to mistakes. Many of us with hundreds hours have had "Oh crap!" moments.

I don't really care about the FAA and the FARs all that much per say, what I care about is safety and when you really look at it hard and study the history, the FARs really are written in blood. Most are written for damn good reasons. The reports are full stories of guys that said "This airplane flying thing ain't no big deal.."

I say this out of genuine concern, not to chap your hide, or harsh your high. Go get a good instructor that knows Mooneys and get 'er done. 

Have fun and post back the progress. Fly safe most of all.

Excellent post! And just for the record, some of us with thousands of hours in our Mooneys still say "Oh crap!"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

My wife and I went from o69 to KCRQ and back today to visit family. 2h10m there and 2h35m returning. Doing this in a car is impossible! Doing this on a conventional airline would not be pleasant.

Doing it in a Mooney - Wow!!

Icing on the cake: for the first time my wife said she was really comfortable in the plane with a blanket she brought from home and that the blanket was staying in the plane. She also said "you woke me up on final and I was so comfortable". Wow!! (again). That blanket IS staying in the plane!!!!

My wife is an avid flyer and is always looking for places to go. I'm glad to hear the blanket made the difference. Are you sure it wasn't the extremely smooth professional pilot at the controls?

It does amaze me to hear how many spouses don't like to fly GA. And I know a few situations where plane ownership coupled with the dislike have strained the relationship.

I'm fortunate because of my wife's desire to fly, I can always use that "to improve safety" card when I want something new for the plane. :) She is already onboard for the ADS-B upgrade. Just gave her an iPad linked to the GDL-39 and ask her to find traffic without the "out" solution. Didn't take long before she asked; "isn't there something you can install to see all of the traffic?"

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Marauder said:

I'm fortunate because of my wife's desire to fly, I can always use that "to improve safety" card when I want something new for the plane. :) She is already onboard for the ADS-B upgrade. Just gave her an iPad linked to the GDL-39 and ask her to find traffic without the "out" solution. Didn't take long before she asked; "isn't there something you can install to see all of the traffic?" emoji12.png

IMG_20130720_123318_041.jpg

• Like 3

Two highlights of 2015 were flying up to to the Asheville area and checking into Little Switzerland Inn and meeting Gary Jensen. Second highlight was flying over to the Bahamas and spending the weekend in Elbow Cay with Daver328 (Dave Herman) and his wife Tammie. Now that was a lot of fun.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...