2016 today's flight

bonal

Flew from NW Washington to MSC at Troutdale, OR today to drop off 84L for annual.  1.4 hours with a stop at Tacoma Narrows to drop a friend off to retrieve his C177. Photos are Cascade volcanos and Toutle River with Mt St Helens ash flow.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Oops. Wrong photo. The one I posted was approaching Portland. This is volcanos
image.jpeg

b4007c17e1ce8c634a8b3185bd577d70.jpg
My bride takes tons of pics with her IPhone. This one really caught my eye. Best I can remember we were at 9000over Kingman AZ en-route the Grand Canyon from Palm Springs CA on Christmas Day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

My bride takes tons of pics with her IPhone. This one really caught my eye. Best I can remember we were at 9000over Kingman AZ en-route the Grand Canyon from Palm Springs CA on Christmas Day.

Oops, meant to add a new post. Not sure what happened.

8 hours ago, slowflyin said:

That's a great photo!

• Like 1

Well it's just about the end of the year. My wife and I flew to LVK to visit mom departure at 34 deg f so a little chilly. Nice smooth air hazy but could still see all the mountains that have lots of snow. Poor weather is expected so may be last flight this year. Took my brother to lunch at the Livermore golf course that is right next to ramp parking. This time I tied down in the spot that the guy flying the Bonanza (mr. Ramp monitor) wanted me to last time I was there. A very beautiful sunset for the trip home but no pictures. Winds were backwards today headwind going south and a bit of a tailwind going northwest Nice landing just after dark.

its so nice not having to deal with Bay Area traffic which at 5pm would have been horrendous just a nice 40 minute flight making 170mph over ground without so much as a single bump in the air. I'd still be driving right now ugh! 

• Like 2

Very nice. Did not know of this place. Definitely a place to visit next time I'm in London. May go again next year to watch the Jaguars play in Wimbledon. I know....crazy to go across the pond to watch the worst team in the US....but that's what fans do and we make it a vacation. I thought I had already discovered every aviation museum near London but have not seen this one. Now all I have to do is convince my mates who are not nearly as enthusiastic about aviation to make the size trip

• Like 2

Well the tailwind gods were with me today.  We flew from the U.P. of Michigan to just south of Daytona Beach in 4 hours nonstop.  I took a picture of the snow out my hangar as we were pulling the Rocket out.  I don't have the heart to post what it looked like when we landed.  

I'm just hoping the winds change in 8 days when we return.  

Tom

IMG_1172.JPG

IMG_1160.JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hyett6420 said:

Just tell them there is lots of old stuff there, like carriages and cars, bicycles etc.   You US guys always like old stuff. :)  just tell them its cute.  Its an amazing place to watch old planes flying while having a picnic. :)  

I have one thing to say to you mr English guy: Flying Scotsman.

What's up with the English and old steam engines?!!!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Well the tailwind gods were with me today.  We flew from the U.P. of Michigan to just south of Daytona Beach in 4 hours nonstop.  I took a picture of the snow out my hangar as we were pulling the Rocket out.  I don't have the heart to post what it looked like when we landed.  

Tom

IMG_1172.JPG

IMG_1160.JPG

That's in the rocket?

6 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

That's in the rocket?

Of course!!!  I would have seen 400+ knots in the Lancair on this trip.  

Funny though, Chicago Center comes on as I'm ripping along at 285 knots and asks if I'm a prop-jet?   

Tom

• Like 7

Just now, Yooper Rocketman said:

Funny though, Chicago Center comes on as I'm ripping along at 285 knots and asks if I'm a prop-jet?   

Tom

And you said, not today

• Like 1

Tom
IMG_1172.JPG
IMG_1160.JPG

Daytona Beach from 6500 feet yesterday. No snow visible anywhere
e77a52c8105ae6436fbe82a48b7ef366.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Tom

Like...

I did 327GS once on  perfect winter day.

And yet you can do that in still air in your lancair.  You will for sure break 400 soon.

• Like 3

It's always nice when ATC mistakes you for something faster. I went 20 minutes to CRW for my Instrument checkride, the wind was blowing my little C at 165 knots down low, 5500 msl. Approach called me a Baron.

But it works both ways, too. I was limping home wondering why I could barely climb, struggling to maintain 130 mph indicated as I went south around the ATL Bravo. Approach asked if I was really a Mooney . . .  :angry:  Turned out one of the two pivot points on the carb heat box had broken off, so I was flying with full carb heat.

• Like 1

Quick hop from the North Coast over to Redding CA for lunch today.  Great view of Mt Shasta and a lot of low clouds on the way back, came down through a hole over Humboldt Bay.  Love those spoilers on the wings, makes dropping through a hole easy peasy. Some great speeds at 7500 ft and not burning to much fuel.

Pritch

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Tom

IMG_1172.JPG

IMG_1160.JPG

Nice!  I was right with you.  Erie to Ft Myers in about 4 hours of flying.   We had to stop for bladder maintenance - I had my 11yo daughter with me.     The winds cooperated pretty well at FL200.  We picked up a little ice on the climb, but nothing too bad.  

Brad

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Umm, we invented the steam locomotive and railways? ;)  

To my mind thpugh the most fascintaing thing if the whole place was how the first planes were built with brass furniture screws, and sailing mast shrouds.  No FAA aviation approved xxyyzz screws on these aircraft.  Yet 10  -15 years later these fragile things had turned into. Metal monocoupe big chunky design things.  

The wings on the box kite for example are just curved wings, no flat undersurface and all contolled by some piano wire.   Amazing stuff.

and we still invented the steam engine ;)  

:-)  And we invented the airplane!

Pretty cool I agree those old wooden boats.  I have rowed in crew boats on and off throughout my life.  Often you still see an old wooden boats in crew houses.  It was the standard build method until maybe 30 years ago.  (Mostly replaced these days with carbon fiber).  The workmanship is beautiful and built just as you said, but very light of course with very thin sheets of curved wood on one side, and paper thin covers on the top side and brass screws.  A single is 27 feet long, 12inches at the beam, and weights about 40lbs (in wood - much lighter still in carbon fiber), and this included the mechanical parts that such a boat must have.  And it is strong enough to stand up to a big oarsman pulling with all of his might, but delicate to forces in another direction (and they are called shells because you would literally step through them if you step on the wrong spot while getting in).

• Like 2