2016 today's flight

bonal

Late entry for 2016 I just found looking through a folder.  From back in February.  Appropriate as getting ready for the winter here in New England.  Love the climb performance in the cool crisp winter air.  This was an early morning breakfast run to Nancy's Airfield Cafe at Minute Man Air Field (6B6) with my youngest, Will (10).  Great food there and, yes, he finished both plates.  (To clarify, the flying pics are departure and landing from home airport (KBVY - Beverly, MA).

takeoff BVY snow.jpg

Will breakfast.JPG

Landing KBVY snow shadow.jpg

• Like 8

Late entry for 2016 I just found looking through a folder.  From back in February.  Appropriate as getting ready for the winter here in New England.  Love the climb performance in the cool crisp winter air.  This was an early morning breakfast run to Nancy's Airfield Cafe at Minute Man Air Field (6B6) with my youngest, Will (10).  Great food there and, yes, he finished both plates.
takeoff BVY snow.jpg
Will breakfast.JPG
Landing KBVY snow shadow.jpg

I really didn't need to see that snow! I did a Pilot's N Paws flight up to Minute Man this year. Great restaurant. This is the same airport Bob B had his encounter with the drainage ditch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Marauder said:

I really didn't need to see that snow! emoji3.png I did a Pilot's N Paws flight up to Minute Man this year. Great restaurant. This is the same airport Bob B had his encounter with the drainage ditch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, I saw that infamous ditch and his crippled plane sitting there awaiting the engine tear-down.  I had taken one of my three boys there for a Young Eagles event back before I started flying again and before I got my Mooney of course.  While the organizer was showing the kids some planes, I looked over and saw Bob's E.  I couldn't look at any other plane on the field at that point.  I remember saying to myself "THAT is exactly what I'm looking for!".  Then, because I was lurking on MooneySpace I sadly discovered why it was there.  The taxiways are still in bad shape but the runway was repaved and is nice.

Funny that I ended up with a '66E.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Lance Keve said:

Yes, I saw that infamous ditch and his crippled plane sitting there awaiting the engine tear-down.  I had taken one of my three boys there for a Young Eagles event back before I started flying again and before I got my Mooney of course.  While the organizer was showing the kids some planes, I looked over and saw Bob's E.  I couldn't look at any other plane on the field at that point.  I remember saying to myself "THAT is exactly what I'm looking for!".  Then, because I was lurking on MooneySpace I sadly discovered why it was there.  The taxiways are still in bad shape but the runway was repaved and is nice.

Funny that I ended up with a '66E.

• Like 1

My buddy flies a Citation Sovereign for a living. It is based in Tampa but was at the Cessna Service Center at Orlando International and was ready to be picked up. My Mooney was ready to be picked up from the avionics shop at Orlando-Sanford 21 nm north. So we drove a rental to KSFB to pick up my bird then I dropped him off at KMCO. Here is a picture of 88V in front of the Cessna Service Center and a ramp full of Citation Jets. Interior pics of the Sovereign. Golfing legend and fellow aviator gone west, Arnold Palmers Citation. 

IMG_0101.JPG

IMG_0102.JPG

IMG_0103.JPG

IMG_0104.JPG

IMG_0100.JPG

• Like 2

On 11/25/2016 at 9:01 AM, Browncbr1 said:

It's amazing how much bigger the cabin looks with the long rear windows.  I've got to upgrade my F to the long Windows like that!

Haha. I was thinking the same thing. I'm so used to the shorter windows in my C. His windows looked so big with his niece behind it. 

11 hours ago, Chupacabra said:

My buddy flies a Citation Sovereign for a living. It is based in Tampa but was at the Cessna Service Center at Orlando International and was ready to be picked up. My Mooney was ready to be picked up from the avionics shop at Orlando-Sanford 21 nm north. So we drove a rental to KSFB to pick up my bird then I dropped him off at KMCO. Here is a picture of 88V in front of the Cessna Service Center and a ramp full of Citation Jets. Interior pics of the Sovereign. Golfing legend and fellow aviator gone west, Arnold Palmers Citation. 

IMG_0103.JPG

Nice looking plane, but the NY Yankees pillow ruined it. :P

• Like 1

Another trip to the Bay Area with my wife to visit my dear mom 100 plus visibility another perfect VFR California winter day. Took our time flying home 2400 and 21 inches mp at 6500 with a bit of a head wind and not a single bump.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Is that "100 miles visibility"? I had trouble finding the airport in Wyoming because I was looking so far past it, and the vis was definitely two digits (30? 50? Too long ago, I don't remember.). Back this side of the Great River, we're doing good to get 10 sm visibility, although sometimes in the winter I can spot the field at 15-16 nm out.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hank said:

Is that "100 miles visibility"? I had trouble finding the airport in Wyoming because I was looking so far past it, and the vis was definitely two digits (30? 50? Too long ago, I don't remember.). Back this side of the Great River, we're doing good to get 10 sm visibility, although sometimes in the winter I can spot the field at 15-16 nm out.

100 miles visibility in the west is not uncommon,  Over Thanksgiving flying in Montana I was able to see the mountain that was just beyond my destination, approximately 200 nm away.

On the same trip I was able to call Alliance KS (KAIA) in sight at 46 nm.  At that distance I could actually see all three runways.  Here in Florida I am lucky to be visual with my home field at 12 nm.

• Like 1

Interesting cloud formation on my flight from KSAC to KSEE today. Looks like the starship Enterprise is hiding over Tehachapi, CA. Edwards AFB is not far away, so I wonder??? Thank goodness for tailwinds... I saw 193 knots at 11.5K with 153KTAS for most of the flight today. 

20161204_142503.jpg

20161204_142525.jpg

20161204_151604.jpg

• Like 3

That's a standing mountain wave cloud in the lee of where the wind is crossing those mountains from left to right. I giant version of the same thing commonly parks itself just east of the Colorado Front Range in the winter. I've seen it span the distance from Fort Collins all the way to Colorado Springs.

Just fooling around locally yesterday, I flew into Hampton Airfield (7B3) for fun and shorter field practice (2100ft).  The ATIS leaving Beverly was winds 330 at 12 and it was gusting too.  On short final to runway 2, my passenger noticed something out his window.  He said, "there's a plane in the trees down there".  Of course, I was focused and didn't bother to look.

I landed and when taxiing back to departure end of 2, we could see the plane off that end with yellow tape around it and lots of people standing around.  Clearly it happened earlier that day. 

Turned out the plane (an experimental biplane) was from Beverly, my home airport and was relocating to be based at 7B3.  I had never seen that plane in Beverly but did see it in North Carolina when stopping for fuel on the way to Florida.  At that time it was being ferried to Massachusetts from Florida.

http://www.nh1.com/news/pilot-uninjured-after-plane-clips-trees-and-crashes-near-hampton-airfield/

Pilot walked away, as the article states.  Glad for that.

Close to home...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Joe Zuffoletto said:

That's a standing mountain wave cloud in the lee of where the wind is crossing those mountains from left to right. I giant version of the same thing commonly parks itself just east of the Colorado Front Range in the winter. I've seen it span the distance from Fort Collins all the way to Colorado Springs.

Joe, I'm used to lenticular clouds being more or less directly above a peak. This one doesn't have a peak in the photo. ???

Didn't think to take a picture, but coming back after filling up, 1700 msl, WOT (27"), 2700, Full Rich gave me 172 mph. When I pulled the throttle back, i was alreadytoo high & fast to land. The trip is 10.4 nm; they are 264 msl, hobe is 325 msl. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hank said:

Didn't think to take a picture, but coming back after filling up, 1700 msl, WOT (27"), 2700, Full Rich gave me 172 mph. When I pulled the throttle back, i was alreadytoo high & fast to land. The trip is 10.4 nm; they are 264 msl, hobe is 325 msl. 

Excellent, guess you felt like putting the spurs to it

31 minutes ago, bonal said:

Excellent, guess you felt like putting the spurs to it

Every now and then you just got to!

I'd been out enjoying the beautiful weather, taking pictures of my neighbors burning leaves, just generally turning avgas into noise. So I went for "that little bit extra" to see just how much noise I could make. I won't swear that the speed had stabilized, but good God, all of a sudden the airport was really close! 5nm out, 500' above pattern, and 80 mph too fast is not a good combination . . .

Edited by Hank

Been a while for a today's flight, departed with OAT at 28 degrees Fahrenheit making my way to see my mom who is recovering from a stroke so reason for the trip not the best but nothing helps like getting up in the sky. Weather was dead calm with a slight tail wind you could see the snow on the Sierras  with clarity.  Coming into LVK on the 45 for right down wind and tower had me number one but was very busy at the time full of approaching traffic and folks working the pattern. As I was abeam the approach end of the RWY a Bonanza announced a three mile final and the tower was just about to extend my downwind but asked if I could do a quick base to final. Thankfully I fly into lots of tight little fields so acknowledged the request from control made a sweet 180 lined up perfectly and greased it on. The trip home was just as nice and as I always like to monitor the various class D towers I fly over inrout and listened to a funny conversation between an approaching plane and the Napa tower about a coyote that was running all over the place. He would clear the runway and all looked good then back on the runway and oh stand by. Once he got clear then there was a flock of seagulls decided to land mid field.

the picture is of the delta mouth between Napa and Concord. Taken with my IPhone which has a crappy camera 

image.jpeg

5 hours ago, Skates97 said:

I finally got to fly a Mooney today, my Mooney. :) It was awesome!!! Now I really know why you guys love your planes.

If you're interested here's the write-up.

http://intothesky.us/2016/12/17/a-second-first-flight/

Great write up.  I just had to smile, you're now a Mooney pilot. And you're gonna love it.

• Like 2