2016 today's flight

bonal

On 11/12/2016 at 6:09 PM, kmyfm20s said:

Flew from San Diego to Mammoth mountain today. Hard to believe the mountain is open for skiing since its was in the 90's this weekend in San Diego. Anyway didn't go up for skiing but a nice evening and hike in the mountains. I have a couple pictures departing KMYF over La Jolla shores and a video landing at KMMH.

IMG_0634.JPGIMG_0635.JPG

IMG_0630.MOV

Why are my photos oriented correctly when viewed on my Ipad but incorrectly when viewed on my PC?

On 11/13/2016 at 9:39 PM, carusoam said:

You didn't fly long enough to see the super moon?  Wait, That is the super Moon!

Pictures don't give it the justice it deserves... :)

Best regards,

-a-

Oh I saw it. It was a site to behold as I was flying towards the Modena VOR for the instrument approach back into New Garden. You're right. Pictures don't give it justice.

• Like 2

Trip down to LVK had a 26knot head wind slowing things down flying solo as my wife is away dealing with a family illness  and sadly the reason for my trip was to see my mother who is very ill. The return trip gave a nice tail wind giving me a ground speed of 215mph of course once those winds started up the mountains of home made for a pretty bumpy ride. ASOS for home had winds at 150 gusts to 21 knots for a quartering cross wind on RNY 10. Had things lined up perfect and just as I touched caught a big gust and Up I went. Well I thought no need to go around airspeed was perfect and had plenty of run way so I just landed again. Smooth as silk. Any way at least with the winds made for a 35 minute flight out of a 3 hour drive. Being up in our machines free of the earth allows for some very reflective thought.

• Like 3

Thursday, I had a nice flight from Alabama out to Edenton, NC (KEDE). The smoke was thick over NE Georgia and NW SC, even all the way up to 9,500. It was manageable and VFR all along the route. After a day's work in the area, I flew into Lake Norman (14A), arriving just in time to see my nephew play in the NC state playoff.  Finding the little strip after sunset was a challenge and landing even more fun. It is a cool little airport 3150x40' with private hangars and houses all along the runway. I had to taxi down fairly steep hills and tight turns to find a spot and my niece picked me up right after I tied down. After the football game, I repositioned the plane 40 nm down to Monroe (KEQY) and took uber to Mom's. I beat them home from the game by about 30 minutes. A few days with family then back to Alabama on Tuesday.  These types of trips are what having a Mooney is all about. Family, work, fun. I wouldn't have been able to do both the game and the work in 1 day without the Mooney. 

• Like 2

This wasn't today's flight but it has been a busy week so I just now got around to writing about it. I took my wife on a birthday flight, then flew my boys and I to Arizona to surprise my dad and take him on a flight for his 75th birthday. Three days of flying and over 800 miles flown.

Full write-up with a bunch of pictures on my bog.

http://intothesky.us/2016/11/19/3-days-4-flights-3-birthdays/

Here's a couple pics.

01.jpgIMG_6659.JPG20161112_092555.jpg20161112_101529.jpg03.JPG

Edited by Skates97
  • Like 7

11 hours ago, BradB said:

@Skates97 , nice blog post.  Hope the Mooney purchase works out!  We need details on here somewhere!

10 hours ago, bonal said:

I don't blog, really enjoyed your PPL adventure. Yes details let's keep it in the family 

There will be details in a couple weeks or so. I'll start up a thread once it's a done deal.

• Like 2

This is last weeks flight to visit a family member in the hospital. Certain NJ Mailing List Mooniacs may recognize the quarry. Great fall flight. Unfortunately we just arrived into the dismal FIKI-party of Pittsburgh winters.

614a763467db9c9cc26d9c24f08237af.jpgf3e7cfa9d13961e9a4c896a08789b437.jpg2dedc27556aeb2bdce82637a3f7e08bc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 7

17 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Skates, Check into the American flag used as a wind sock...

straight out is usually something like 10-15 kts of wind.

it is pretty consistent based on it's L/D ratio.

your memory of the flights will improve, once you fly a Mooney! :)

Best regards,

-a-

10-15 knots I think would make it the strongest crosswind I've landed in to date. Flying the Mooney is on the horizon. I told my wife that when I'm doing transition training I will make sure I get to some local airports for some crosswind landings. Chino and Riverside are both good about letting you use the crosswind runway for practicing if they aren't very busy. 

• Like 2

I haven't looked at this thread in a long time, but thought I would post a photo from a recent trip to South Dakota for the Pheasant hunt season opener at KMHE.

We left from KTYS in the morning and picked up my brother in Nashville, then went from there to Mitchell, SD.  Weather was actually nice the whole way, and we stayed pretty low out of the stronger head winds.  We made about 135-140kts ground speed most of the way out there.. on the way back, I saw 191kts ground speed as we were overtaking a front.  It was interesting because the warm air was pushed up to 11k feet and it was 73 degrees F at 11k... the clouds were pushed up to about 10k too and we flew through a bunch of big nasty bugs as we went over clouds..   

This picture was taken on the way out there low over Iowa wind farms.  Windmills as far as you could see in every direction.  

IMG_1197.JPG

• Like 3

So my motorhome ended up in the shop just prior to the weekend drastically changing our Thanksgiving plans.  So instead of driving from Florida to Branson, Missouri, we packed up the Mooney and Flew to Montana to see both sets of parents.  1360 miles as planned, 11.5 hours in the air, day one we had 44 kts of head wind during parts of the trip, averaged about 22 kts head wind for the entire trip. We did it over two days stopping in Kansas to visit friends.  The pictures are of Devils Tower in NE Wyoming and of my Father-in-laws farm on the edge of the Yellowstone River in SE Montana.

2016-11-20 13.38.46.jpg

2016-11-20 14.36.12.jpg

• Like 5

Thanksgiving flight with 3 of my nieces.  For the two in the back it was their first GA flight.  I followed this flight up with a flight with my 72 year old father who is a retired pilot and was also my first CFI.

15171328_10211456211427097_6942843964967082207_n.jpg

15181184_10154798097502009_8066386992819928384_n.jpg

• Like 6

This is last weeks flight to visit a family member in the hospital. Certain NJ Mailing List Mooniacs may recognize the quarry. Great fall flight. Unfortunately we just arrived into the dismal FIKI-party of Pittsburgh winters.

614a763467db9c9cc26d9c24f08237af.jpgf3e7cfa9d13961e9a4c896a08789b437.jpg2dedc27556aeb2bdce82637a3f7e08bc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quarry looks like the one near Princeton airport as does the airport. That where you went?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

I love the soap dish holder in the roof panel (I assume actually it is for your glasses) but it looks like a soap dish holder :)  

Ha, I guess it does look like a soap dish holder in the picture.  It is actually my Stratus 2 attached to the roof with Velcro. It works great, good GPS reception and is never in the sun so overheating is not an issue.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Browncbr1 said:

It's amazing how much bigger the cabin looks with the long rear windows.  I've got to upgrade my F to the long Windows like that!

I was lucky, although mine is a '75 it has the '76 single back windows. 

Completed our Thanksgiving trip from Florida to Montana and back today. We flew 3140 NM in 25.6 hours of flight time.  I burned 249 gal of fuel for a 9.7 gal/hr average.

54J-KPBF-KHUT-KAIA-1S3-KHLN (1585 NM) and KHLN-KAIA-KHUT-KPBF-54J (1555 NM)

As always seems to be the case, we had headwinds going both directions so ended with a 122kt/GS average.

Edited by kpaul
added route of flight
  • Like 1