2016 today's flight

bonal

5 hours ago, N1395W said:

Went flying about the same time as you.  Beautiful.  37° F in Michigan today, unbelievable, with mostly blue skies and smooth air at 2500' AGL.

Didn't even have to pre-heat, but did anyway.  Just became a habit for February in Michigan.

Edit:. Best thing about the M20B/C/D/G?  Choice between going on a trip or just gettin' up and fartin' around.  Try that in a Bravo or Acclaim.

I never knew you were an E-F hater....Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...?

1 hour ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

I never knew you were an E-F hater....Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...?

Nah, I love them all.  When I owned my first Mooney back in the 90's, the love of my life was the red and white TLS in the advertisements (see below).  At the time I couldn't afford an F, let alone a J or M, so I learned to love my C.

Now I'm on my second C, and I have to say that as the simplest Mooney (carburetor and Johnsom Bar) it is just barely more complex than a C-172 for just buzzing around for fun.

(drool)

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Now that you've included a larger picture, that's a nice paint job! ;)  If I squint, that's exactly what your C looks like, except for the oversized back window. But I must say, I'm not used to seeing people flying their plane wearing a coat and tie . . .  :lol:

• Like 2

The video from the drone is a neat view.  And while it appears that the drone was well clear of the runway and at a non-busy airfield, be careful because the FAA has restricted drones within 5 nm of airports without prior permission from the airfield (airfield manager) and control tower (at towered fields).  Unfortunately, it's because there are too many folks out there with drones and no common sense.   

10 minutes ago, kpaul said:

The video from the drone is a neat view.  And while it appears that the drone was well clear of the runway and at a non-busy airfield, be careful because the FAA has restricted drones within 5 nm of airports without prior permission from the airfield (airfield manager) and control tower (at towered fields).  Unfortunately, it's because there are too many folks out there with drones and no common sense.   

Thanks for the heads up.  I didn't want to get into the details, but I did get written permission from the airport manager.  We stayed over the grass between the taxi and runway, and Gus knew that he was being filmed.  We also kept the altitude relatively low.

• Like 1

Turned a 2.5 hour drive into a 45 min flight to go see my former flight instructor who is now a seaplane pilot in Juneau.   Things noted.  "This is all the travel?" while playing the flight controls. me "That is all it needs"    The control inputs of yanking a Beaver off the water does not work so well in flying a Mooney off the runway.  He pretty much got the landing... a little hop.   The wife was reminded of the benefits of fast air travel

• Like 1

Saturday I flew from KLFT (Lafayette La) back to Georgetown Tx.  The ceilings were about 2500, with predictions of icing at 4000 on up.  I opted for a VFR trip, rather then getting stuck with potential icing at MEA.  The headwinds were less too.  I do have to say I got some of the strangest calls from ATC with flight following.  They asked if I was out of the clouds, even though I was VFR.  (and yes I was well out of the clouds, at 1200 agl).  That said, I was surrounded by areas of very light rain, but you could clearly see through the rain and holes around it.   And another time ATC asked for a conditions report.  

Visibility improved once inside Texas and on the other side of the front.  I was able to climb to a more reasonable altitude, but it was very bumpy.   The other thing of interest, was my wife swears we almost hit a drone at 2500 agl.  I never saw it. 

klft.JPG

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, daver328 said:

And how do you know it's block 14? Do you actually know minutia like that ... or did you look it up just to put me to the question? Lol!

Well.....I just happened to doing the form for medical recently and had it handy.  :lol:

I would tell you I have an excellent memory for detail/minutia, but.....uh, what was I saying?

After I retired from my airline job, I never figured I'd need to know flight time again, but when I decided to go back to paid flying, I had to fill out the "application from hell" that wanted every aspect of my flight experience listed....OMG!

Don't give up your logs prematurely.  You just never know.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Mooneymite
  • Like 1

Incidentally, for those of you who only have a general idea about how many hours you have flown, I've learned that if you use the term "True", instead of "Logged", it appeases the detail gods.  B)

I haven't kept an actual logbook since the airline computerized all that stuff in the mid-80's.  But certain events still need to be recorded "somewhere".

How do you do that?

My exact numbers are recorded in my logbook, along with approaches, landings, actual/simulated IMC, yada, yada, yada. But I know I'm somewhere around 750, with well over 600 in my Mooney. Need to get out and add a couple more soon. But there's a couple of fronts blowing through right now . . . I try to keep the logbook relatively up to date.

On February 9, 2016 at 7:35 PM, Hank said:

My exact numbers are recorded in my logbook, along with approaches, landings, actual/simulated IMC, yada, yada, yada. But I know I'm somewhere around 750, with well over 600 in my Mooney. Need to get out and add a couple more soon. But there's a couple of fronts blowing through right now . . . I try to keep the logbook relatively up to date.

When I die, I hope my kids and their kids look at the notes over the years and have fun reliving their lives...

• Like 1

Revisionist History correction...

Amelia flew a Lockheed Electra.

My Google fu is a bit, er, not as strong as it used to be.... :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Model_10_Electra

They look somewhat similar by the twin tails and twin radial engines, but the Electra is a tail dragger.

Thanks for the PM, Deb.

Best regards,

-a-