2016 today's flight

bonal

7 hours ago, bonal said:

Madera is where we bought our Mooney, that must have been yesterdays weather cause its back to solid OVC and its raining again. But the lakes are filling up woohoo!

Actually, it was almost two weeks ago. I was pre flighting for this flight when my best friend called and wondered what I was doing. I told him I was going flying as soon as we hang up. He said he didn't believe me because I never post any pictures anywhere, so I guess he feels if there aren't pictures, it didn't happen.

I took these pictures for him and just now got around to posting them up here. I generally don't take a lot of pictures when I fly. 

• Like 1

OK, new record for 2016.  Flew two days in a row!!  The photos below are of Sawtel Mountain in Island Park Idaho.  Just purchased a building lot there.  It's just in front of the wing at the edge of the snow field.  This area is about 20 miles from the Yellowstone West entrance.  The second photo is on the way back to KIDA, that's Grand Teton in the distance.

What a wonderful day to fly.  4C at 7,500'.  Smooth as glass.  In non-El Nino years this is the norm for ID,WY,UT.  Storms normally come and go in a couple days then severe clear for days!  Not this year.  Oh well, we need the snow pack.

62G is flying great.  I had a few issues this winter once the extreme cold showed up.  Had a fuel leak with the sender, gear breaker popping, flaps intermittent.  My new mechanic at KIDA did a great job in resolving these issues.  Seems like cold weather brings out the gremlins.

62G came with a REIF (sp) system for pre-heating.  I bought one of those remote switches that activate with a text message.  Three hours of pre-heat with hangar temps around zero result in oil at 60F.  I still miss the heated hanger I enjoyed at 36U but this is the next best thing.

Hoping to take a trip down to Palm Springs in Feb, weather permitting.  El Nino - show some mercy!

IMG_0395.thumb.JPG.35ff8a20e393de36a2b91IMG_0400.thumb.JPG.e963fc49827895e30d63c

• Like 2

I saw a Mooney tied down in front of the restaurant and I thought it was someone from Mooneyspace. Sure enough, it was Bonal. I tracked him down as he and his wife were walking back to the plane and introduced myself. It's always nice to meet a fellow MooneySpacer and put a face with a name!

Here are a few pics from a local "boring holes in the sky" flight this afternoon. Bodega Bay, a nice green Northern California and weather over Napa.

Did I mention that I Love to fly my Mooney :)

Weather over Napa.jpg

Bodega Bay.jpg

NorCal Green.jpg

• Like 2

Clear sky for a trip to o69 for a late breakfast after word as we were heading to the plane we were approached by a gent who introduced himself as none other than FlyDave. He was nice enough to show us his TLS great looking airplane also his light sport tail dragger. We then walked over to the ramp so he could take a look at our C. We were going to take a run over to WLW for some shopping but once in the air you could see some mean looking clouds along our route. Decided to make for home and saw the slowest ground speed at 130mph. A couple of nice landings to finish off a great flight.

image.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bonal said:

Clear sky for a trip to o69 for a late breakfast after word as we were heading to the plane we were approached by a gent who introduced himself as none other than FlyDave. He was nice enough to show us his TLS great looking airplane also his light sport tail dragger. We then walked over to the ramp so he could take a look at our C. We were going to take a run over to WLW for some shopping but once in the air you could see some mean looking clouds along our route. Decided to make for home and saw the slowest ground speed at 130mph. A couple of nice landings to finish off a great flight.

image.jpg

Sounds like a nice day. I terrorized the neighborhood myself on Friday afternoon, headed out over campus and the next town over looking for a buddy's house that I couldn't find. Figured three passes ~1500 agl was enough bother for anyone who was home. Nice gentle power setting, 23/2300 at 2500-3000 msl, 145 mph indicated. Nearby AWOS said winds were 9 knots NW, but I didn't notice while taxiing, departing, crisscrossing campus or landing. Made the midfield turnoff with only gentle braking, a wonderful reminder of the generous 5000' runways around here.

Keep flying, bonal, and you'll find out what low groundspeed is . . . So far, my envelope for level, sustained cruise runs from 68 knots to 186 knots, both at 9000-10,000 msl, ~20"/2500.

• Like 1

No pictures, but we headed out this morning to commit aviation. The plan was to fly to Mustang Beach down at Port A. It was clear when we woke up but by 10:30am KRAS was reporting 600 OVC and Mist. So we went to Fredericksburg instead. We went into town, had lunch and walked around a bit. It was myself, the wife, and our big Labradoodle.

The flight over would have been uneventful except for the mid-air with a balloon. It was one of those shiny mylar ones you can buy for a couple of bucks anywhere. It was gold colored and I only had about 2 sec to react. I heard it pop against the left wing at right about the stall strip. So very close to my side of the cockpit. No damage, marks or debris noticed on landing. 

The flight HYI to T82 took 29 minutes going and 17 minutes on the return.

• Like 3

No pictures, but we headed out this morning to commit aviation. The plan was to fly to Mustang Beach down at Port A. It was clear when we woke up but by 10:30am KRAS was reporting 600 OVC and Mist. So we went to Fredericksburg instead. We went into town, had lunch and walked around a bit. It was myself, the wife, and our big Labradoodle.

The flight over would have been uneventful except for the mid-air with a balloon. It was one of those shiny mylar ones you can buy for a couple of bucks anywhere. It was gold colored and I only had about 2 sec to react. I heard it pop against the left wing at right about the stall strip. So very close to my side of the cockpit. No damage, marks or debris noticed on landing. 

Balloon strike would be startling for sure; hope your wife took it in stride. Glad there were no serious consequences.

Weather was indeed weird today. Susan, Eli (our doodle), and I departed VFR south of Houston today at 10:07 for Austin Exec which was reporting overcast at 1,400' and passing La Grange the broken tops at 4,500' disintegrated quickly and it was clear already at KEDC. We left Exec at 16:18 in clear skies but encountered thick clouds and haze so bad approaching KLBX that I activated the approach lights to improve the picture. Fun day at The Domain; we'll have to meet there someday and let the pups romp a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cnoe said:

Balloon strike would be startling for sure; hope your wife took it in stride. Glad there were no serious consequences.

Weather was indeed weird today. Susan, Eli (our doodle), and I departed VFR south of Houston today at 10:07 for Austin Exec which was reporting overcast at 1,400' and passing La Grange the broken tops at 4,500' disintegrated quickly and it was clear already at KEDC. We left Exec at 16:18 in clear skies but encountered thick clouds and haze so bad approaching KLBX that I activated the approach lights to improve the picture. Fun day at The Domain; we'll have to meet there someday and let the pups romp a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds like a plan.

Flew from the U.P. today to lower Michigan to pick up a customer that was taking delivery of his brand new log truck and trailer at my dealership.  I got to see the sunrise over Lake Michigan, albeit above a small cloud layer. Had a decent tailwind (ok, I'll fess up, that was during the descent, but I still saw 230 knots in cruise).

Tom

Mooney Rocket 041.JPG

Mooney Rocket 043.JPG

Mooney Rocket 047.JPG

• Like 3

On February 1, 2016 at 7:47 PM, gsxrpilot said:

Now you get to paint a little balloon silhouette by the pilot's window. Four more and you're a balloon ace. Now you're going to go looking for them!! :D

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Flew from the U.P. today to lower Michigan to pick up a customer that was taking delivery of his brand new log truck and trailer at my dealership.  I got to see the sunrise over Lake Michigan, albeit above a small cloud layer. Had a decent tailwind (ok, I'll fess up, that was during the descent, but I still saw 230 knots in cruise).

Tom

Mooney Rocket 041.JPG

Mooney Rocket 043.JPG

Mooney Rocket 047.JPG

Congrats, Yooper! But I must say, I didn't know anyone made new logging trucks. The ones I'm used to seeing look like they've been modified from resurrected worn out trucks, with trailers made at the local junkyard.

maybe some of those new log trucks will find their way down here . . . .

Hank,

We sell a ton of new log trucks, and just delivered log trailer number 88 (we manufacture them in house).  The one we delivered yesterday is here;

https://www.facebook.com/UP-Truck-Center-Inc-317627121061/

But then logging is alive and strong in the upper Midwest too.

Tom

• Like 1

Wow! That's impressive!!

In WV, the log trucks carry hardwood lengthwise, not spanwise.

Now that I'm back down South, it's mostly pulpwood going to paper mills. We don't have a whole lot of hardwood growing around here. Maybe that's the difference? It's easy to see from the Mooney where they have been cutting, if I'm down low (3000 msl) on a breakfast run anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Hank,

We sell a ton of new log trucks, and just delivered log trailer number 88 (we manufacture them in house).  The one we delivered yesterday is here;

https://www.facebook.com/UP-Truck-Center-Inc-317627121061/

But then logging is alive and strong in the upper Midwest too.

Tom

I bet Yetti would like that link...

:)

• Like 1

Went flying about the same time as you.  Beautiful.  37° F in Michigan today, unbelievable, with mostly blue skies and smooth air at 2500' AGL.

Didn't even have to pre-heat, but did anyway.  Just became a habit for February in Michigan.

Edit:. Best thing about the M20B/C/D/G?  Choice between going on a trip or just gettin' up and fartin' around.  Try that in a Bravo or Acclaim.

Edited by N1395W
  • Like 1

Yesterday was a beautiful day for flying in South Florida, albeit a bit windy. A cold front had just passed, and the barometric pressure was 30.24". We practiced some approaches with 35 kt crosswinds, and 90 degree crosswind landings 15G25. We also got gas at KFMY. Note the beautiful clear blue sky. (Fuel price isn't so bad either!)

image.thumb.jpg.d47cd3087c1d8f5f8d3ed42b

• Like 5

Left house at 4:20 pm

get plane out take for a lap around the pattern (changed oil last week, needed to make sure all was good)  Land and refuel.  Clean windows, polish spinner,

Returned to house at 5:10

Not everyone can just go fly

ready to launch tomorrow over to Lufkin to see my former flight instructor who now flys planes in Alsaska

• Like 1

Went for another milk run in moms grocery getter to KWLW pulled up to park next to a framilier looking TLS can't be too many of those around Dave was having lunch with Jcollier (252 vs 305) fame. When we got back there was another parked next to us with a third over at the fuel rig. After landing at home as we were getting set to leave a nice looking white with red came in over the numbers. Really happy with my flying today.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2