Avidyne IFD540 One Year Pirep

LANCECASPER

I'm starting to get a bit annoyed with Avidyne - I've had a 540 and 440 on the shelf since the end of summer awaiting installation, but there doesn't appear to be an Avidyne transponder/ADSB-out solution that is legal in EU land yet, and no plans for one so it seems. I'm actually on the N reg at the moment, but have been trying very hard not to change/add anything that would prevent a change to an EU reg in due course, particularly as when the new maintenance regulations come in, it looks as though an EU-reg will actually be preferable over here. (Things like cost sharing on flights is much easier under EU regs). Then the is the TAS -A upgrade which should have been available in 2013, but has slipped to Q3 this year at the earliest.

Decisions, decisions! I could
leave the transponder (a GTX330) 'as is' and accept this means the aircraft can't fly to the US after 2020 and won't join ADSB
or add an Avidyne/Trig transponder that means the aircraft can't go to an EASA registration but can go to the US
or sell the Avidynes and go to the Gorilla
or maybe something else! (any ideas?)

Given that it is a right PITA to get to my avionics shop for anything that need more than an hour or three of work, I've been waiting and waiting to bundle up 540/440 installation with ADSB and deprecating the vacuum system, but the pressure is on me now to do 8.33 compliance so I have to do something by the end of this year

11 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

I'm really like the IFD440 but I'm curious about a couple things. Is it compatible with the Harmin Flight Stream 210 I installed last year which allows me to upload my flight plan to my GNS430Ws via Bluetooth?

if not is there a way to send flight plans wirelessly to an IFD440?

Like what Lance said, the IFD440 has Bluetooth and WiFi built into every box. We are the only GPS manufacture that has both wireless features. So the Flight Stream is unnecessary and won't work with the IFDs.

We are planning to have a big announcement about wireless capabilities by the end of the month. Right now, the available wireless feature is the Bluetooth keyboard that we have been giving out for free to customers who register their unit online.

4 hours ago, Awful_Charlie said:

I'm starting to get a bit annoyed with Avidyne - I've had a 540 and 440 on the shelf since the end of summer awaiting installation, but there doesn't appear to be an Avidyne transponder/ADSB-out solution that is legal in EU land yet, and no plans for one so it seems. I'm actually on the N reg at the moment, but have been trying very hard not to change/add anything that would prevent a change to an EU reg in due course, particularly as when the new maintenance regulations come in, it looks as though an EU-reg will actually be preferable over here. (Things like cost sharing on flights is much easier under EU regs). Then the is the TAS -A upgrade which should have been available in 2013, but has slipped to Q3 this year at the earliest.

Decisions, decisions! I could
leave the transponder (a GTX330) 'as is' and accept this means the aircraft can't fly to the US after 2020 and won't join ADSB
or add an Avidyne/Trig transponder that means the aircraft can't go to an EASA registration but can go to the US
or sell the Avidynes and go to the Gorilla
or maybe something else! (any ideas?)

Given that it is a right PITA to get to my avionics shop for anything that need more than an hour or three of work, I've been waiting and waiting to bundle up 540/440 installation with ADSB and deprecating the vacuum system, but the pressure is on me now to do 8.33 compliance so I have to do something by the end of this year

We are just as frustrated with EASA as well. We submitted for approval of the IFD540 the same month it was approved here in the US. Same thing goes for the IFD440. We are hoping to have an approval shortly.

The TAS-A hardware in complete and certified. We are working on the finally stages of the software side and hope to have that certified soon.

The AXP340 1090ES transponder has EASA approval and is FAA certified for ADS-B Out with our GPS sources. Are you looking for an EU ADS-B solution? Do you fly faster than 250kts?

Thanks Simpson

EASA have played a few nasty shots, changing CS-ACN and demanding ETSO C166b being a particularly thorny one for my problem, so I do sympathize. For the TAS 605->605A upgrade, would there be any chance in getting the hardware shipped early and installed with the IFD's, and then going back at a later date for the software when it is ready? (or even getting my local A&P at base to do the software) Steve suggested the software is still several months away yet, so guess that means the end of summer or later?  As it will take me more or less a whole day to get the aircraft to the shop and then get back home again, and then the same when the job is done - longer if I want to have the use of my car whilst it is in, doing this more than absolutely required is not something I relish. I know the to and from the shop is not strictly an Avidyne problem (one of my own making for being an EU citizen living outside the EU, with a currently US registered aircraft imported to the EU! Complicated, yes, this tests many processes!), but I can't be alone in it being inconvenient to have to keep returning to a dealer.

ADSB is not being mandated in the EASA region for under 5700kgs, but I was looking for a ADSB solution that didn't involve getting an A&P/LAE out to sign log books every time the EASA boundary was crossed, and if I'm going to install it for US compliance it would seem crazy to have to turn it off when flying locally, as well as not wanting to block a move to an EASA reg sometime. The 250KTAS - in some ways I wish that was my immediate problem! It shouldn't be an issue for the short term, but there was talk a year or three ago about them changing the limit (partly because a cruise speed limitation is not part of the POH), and there were a few options apparently being bandied about - some of those would mean many including myself would need EHS. Even if there is not an EHS unit now, it would be good to know there is an upgrade path to it without resorting to ripping out the IFDs solely because there are no EHS output devices that accept the IFD as a data source (eg the GTX330ES will fulfill EASA and FAA requirements, but is my understanding will not take an IFD as the position source). There's also the distinct lack of trust in EASA not to again move the goalposts altogether and bring the EHS mandate down to include aircraft smaller than 5700kgs/250KTAS.

Ben

3 hours ago, AviSimpson said:

Like what Lance said, the IFD440 has Bluetooth and WiFi built into every box. We are the only GPS manufacture that has both wireless features. So the Flight Stream is unnecessary and won't work with the IFDs.

We are planning to have a big announcement about wireless capabilities by the end of the month. Right now, the available wireless feature is the Bluetooth keyboard that we have been giving out for free to customers who register their unit online.

Wow! If you guys were to pair up with a great app like WingX Pro so that I could transfer my flight plan straight from my iPad to the IFD440 you guys would likely have my business in the future. I'm really disappointed Garmin decided to allow ForeFlight to have compatibility with FS210 but refuses to let WingX play as well. Garmin has had a monopoly of the GA avionics business for far too long. I'm really glad to hear Avidyne is having good initial success with their IFD products.

10 hours ago, FBCK said:

Jake how are the keyboards being distributed, I was in the second month of purchasers and Im registred on the website. C-FBCK

Brian Suitor

In my case, my Mooney  shows on Myavidyne.com but it had no equipment listed. So I was told to put my serial number in. I did that but then it took me into signing up for the Aeroplan/warranty just like I was new. I previously had already done that and even had the hard copy of the manual automatically sent to me. So yea, I don't know :-) 

First check to see if your equipment is on your Myavidyne account. i think I'm going to call today. I will report back.

36 minutes ago, Tony Armour said:

In my case, my Mooney  shows on Myavidyne.com but it had no equipment listed. So I was told to put my serial number in. I did that but then it took me into signing up for the Aeroplan/warranty just like I was new. I previously had already done that and even had the hard copy of the manual automatically sent to me. So yea, I don't know :-) 

First check to see if your equipment is on your Myavidyne account. i think I'm going to call today. I will report back.

Shoot me a PM with your MyAvidyne username and I can look into it for you.

18 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

Wow! If you guys were to pair up with a great app like WingX Pro so that I could transfer my flight plan straight from my iPad to the IFD440 you guys would likely have my business in the future. I'm really disappointed Garmin decided to allow ForeFlight to have compatibility with FS210 but refuses to let WingX play as well. Garmin has had a monopoly of the GA avionics business for far too long. I'm really glad to hear Avidyne is having good initial success with their IFD products.

We are open to working with many vendors. It requires collaboration on both end, if you are interested, make sure to let WingX know as well.

20 hours ago, Awful_Charlie said:

Thanks Simpson

EASA have played a few nasty shots, changing CS-ACN and demanding ETSO C166b being a particularly thorny one for my problem, so I do sympathize. For the TAS 605->605A upgrade, would there be any chance in getting the hardware shipped early and installed with the IFD's, and then going back at a later date for the software when it is ready? (or even getting my local A&P at base to do the software) Steve suggested the software is still several months away yet, so guess that means the end of summer or later?  As it will take me more or less a whole day to get the aircraft to the shop and then get back home again, and then the same when the job is done - longer if I want to have the use of my car whilst it is in, doing this more than absolutely required is not something I relish. I know the to and from the shop is not strictly an Avidyne problem (one of my own making for being an EU citizen living outside the EU, with a currently US registered aircraft imported to the EU! Complicated, yes, this tests many processes!), but I can't be alone in it being inconvenient to have to keep returning to a dealer.

ADSB is not being mandated in the EASA region for under 5700kgs, but I was looking for a ADSB solution that didn't involve getting an A&P/LAE out to sign log books every time the EASA boundary was crossed, and if I'm going to install it for US compliance it would seem crazy to have to turn it off when flying locally, as well as not wanting to block a move to an EASA reg sometime. The 250KTAS - in some ways I wish that was my immediate problem! It shouldn't be an issue for the short term, but there was talk a year or three ago about them changing the limit (partly because a cruise speed limitation is not part of the POH), and there were a few options apparently being bandied about - some of those would mean many including myself would need EHS. Even if there is not an EHS unit now, it would be good to know there is an upgrade path to it without resorting to ripping out the IFDs solely because there are no EHS output devices that accept the IFD as a data source (eg the GTX330ES will fulfill EASA and FAA requirements, but is my understanding will not take an IFD as the position source). There's also the distinct lack of trust in EASA not to again move the goalposts altogether and bring the EHS mandate down to include aircraft smaller than 5700kgs/250KTAS.

Ben

We have been advising against doing the upgrade in stages. In the long run, it will cost more since you have to access the TAS processor to do the software upgrade. we don't want to inconvenience you either running back and forth from the dealer.

The AXP340 will satisfy both EASA requirements for a Mode S transponder as well as the US requirements for ADS-B Out. There is nothing that would need to be switched on or off crossing the boundaries. The AXP340 is both Elementary and Enhanced Surveillance capable.  

11 hours ago, FBCK said:

Jake how are the keyboards being distributed, I was in the second month of purchasers and Im registred on the website. C-FBCK

Brian Suitor

Verify that you have registered your IFDs on MyAvidyne. Most of the keyboard have been shipped out to customers already. If you want to PM me your username, I can verify.

1 hour ago, Tony Armour said:

I just saw your PM on AviLive. I will respond there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AviSimpson said:

Verify that you have registered your IFDs on MyAvidyne. Most of the keyboard have been shipped out to customers already. If you want to PM me your username, I can verify.

Will those keyboards be included as part of a bundled package in the future or will future customers have to purchase the keyboard separately? If so, what will the retail price be?

Just now, NotarPilot said:

Will those keyboards be included as part of a bundled package in the future or will future customers have to purchase the keyboard separately? If so, what will the retail price be?

The keyboards are valued at $299. We haven't talked about a bundle package but I imagine we will have something like that in the future.

• Like 1

On 18/01/2016 at 3:52 PM, AviSimpson said:

We have been advising against doing the upgrade in stages. In the long run, it will cost more since you have to access the TAS processor to do the software upgrade. we don't want to inconvenience you either running back and forth from the dealer.

The AXP340 will satisfy both EASA requirements for a Mode S transponder as well as the US requirements for ADS-B Out. There is nothing that would need to be switched on or off crossing the boundaries. The AXP340 is both Elementary and Enhanced Surveillance capable.  

Thanks Simpson - if the TAS is just a straight swap out of the unit that should work, but if extra cables need to run to the panel, then that's the whole interior to come out, and getting that done with there and back is pushing it for a day.

Glad the 340 does EHS - that's a big relief, but if on the EASA reg it would still be illegal to have ADSB enabled (missing ETSO C166b approval) without the ETSO approval in EASA land, and surely changing the status of that ought to have an LAE log book entry ;)

• 3 months later...

Rather than start a new topic I'm adding my IFD540 pirep to this one.

I have had my IFD540 with the APX322 ( with ADSB out) installed for about 3 months now and it has been great.  A few minor bugs needed to be worked out from the shop but now everything appears to be working good.  I had an KLN94 in the plane so moving up to the larger screen and more functions of the IFD540 has been wonderful.

The touch screen is very nice and entering and modifying flight plans is intuitive and easy.  The WASS GPS approaches are nice as well.  I'm still learning what this unit can do.  The boasted features of the upcoming 10.2 software release are mouthwatering and for the Ipad lovers out there the IFD 100 software will be great as well.

The APX 322 remote mounted transponder is another wonderful thing it allowed me to go with the 540 instead of the 440 due to center stack space limitations.

The only learning curve "negative" I found that without GPSS steering on the AP (STEC30) if I enter a direct too destination the 540 will draw a button hook flight path to the new destination and the CDI needle will deflect in the opposite direction of the turn.  The AP will turn the pane opposite the curved path of the magenta line.  If the turn is not that large then the AP will follow it.  So since I do not have GPSS when entering a direct too or even for large flight plan course changes (>15 degrees) I just dial in the desired heading on the DG and switch to heading mode on the AP and everything works just fine.  It just takes some knowledge of what the GPS is dong and how it is interpreting the desired path.

Hopefully one day I will be able to connect my Sky Radar to the 540 so I can see WX and traffic on the 540 as well as my Ifly720.

20160429_093443_resized(1).jpg

Edited by 1964-M20E
  • Like 2

I saw on the Avidyne Form they are trying to get the the stratus 2 to connect to the 540 but pull it from the new software v10.2 because it was a little flaky, but they are still working on it. I to am excited by 10.2, it really is a wow, on paper anyway.

I'm a bit lost on the weather subject.  Can you alter flight plan data on the Avidyne units while using Foreflight under the 10.2 release while also having weather displayed on the iPad through a receiver such as the Stratus.  Will you be limited by a connection to the ADSB in receiver OR connection to the Avidyne units?  Does the Garmin Flightstream 210 bring in ADSB weather while allowing simultaneous 2 way connection to the 430/650/750s through Foreflight.  What is the current status of how all these currently function together and the weather conundrum?  Thanks 

12 hours ago, INA201 said:

I'm a bit lost on the weather subject.  Can you alter flight plan data on the Avidyne units while using Foreflight under the 10.2 release while also having weather displayed on the iPad through a receiver such as the Stratus.  Will you be limited by a connection to the ADSB in receiver OR connection to the Avidyne units?  Does the Garmin Flightstream 210 bring in ADSB weather while allowing simultaneous 2 way connection to the 430/650/750s through Foreflight.  What is the current status of how all these currently function together and the weather conundrum?  Thanks 

Simple answer is yes. An IFD with the upcoming 10.2 will allow ForeFlight/Stratus users to connect to both the IFD and the Stratus at the same time. ADS-B weather and traffic will still come up on ForeFlight and flightplan edits will show on both places (IFD & ForeFlight).

• Like 1

On 5/13/2016 at 5:47 PM, FBCK said:

Will the Stratus data be pushed to the 540 without an IPAD, I got the impression from the Avidyne forum it, prehaps not in v10.2, would go directly to the 540.

Not in 10.2, there were some complications with the data that was going to take us some time to figure out. It is something that we will be looking to add post 10.2.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2016 at 10:03 AM, AviSimpson said:

We are just as frustrated with EASA as well. We submitted for approval of the IFD540 the same month it was approved here in the US. Same thing goes for the IFD440. We are hoping to have an approval shortly.

The TAS-A hardware in complete and certified. We are working on the finally stages of the software side and hope to have that certified soon.

The AXP340 1090ES transponder has EASA approval and is FAA certified for ADS-B Out with our GPS sources. Are you looking for an EU ADS-B solution? Do you fly faster than 250kts?

Just a couple hours ago Avidyne announced that they got EASA approval for the Avidyne 540 and 440 !