Cowl Flap Hicky Hoo

INA201

I didn't mention that they work very well in their present  state. As I'm sure you know, you just slide the spring up the barrel, then shove the "sleeve" up, compressing the spring and hook it over the ball. Mine were that way for several years, until I found out they were supposed to stay connected together. Then I replaced them. It's nice not having to keep up with the pieces.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, INA201 said:

Anyone know where to find this gizmo? The one on my left flap just comes off and the spring shoots out.

Thanks

image.jpeg

You can peen the edges a little and it will retain the slider.  Just bash the edge of the center price a little and mushroom it 

• Like 1

There are two versions.  The quick disconnect like you have and the always attached.  Laser sent me the always attached when I needed the quick disconnect.   Since my retainer was gone, I just spun one out of alum on the lathe.   Given the lighter weight than steel it was probably good for a 2 knot increase. 

Here is the thread for how to recreate the retainer.   http://mooneyspace.com/topic/15189-control-swivels-or-ball-joint-linkage/#comment-226387

If you want a fancy stainless one. McMaster Car has them  http://www.mcmaster.com/#6058k72/=10fo151    

The weight penalty could be offset by highly polishing them for another 1-2 knot increase.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/28/2015 at 12:33 AM, M20Doc said:

Available from Mooney, Spruce and Acklands Grainger.

Clarence

Sorry to necro-post guys, but I'm looking for this exact ball joint quick disconnect assembly.  I'm putting in a decent size order with Spruce (free shipping) and would love to just add these onto that order, but I can't find or figure out the part#.  Anyone know it or can point me in the right direction, by chance?

Thanks!
Vance

2 hours ago, vance.k said:

Sorry to necro-post guys, but I'm looking for this exact ball joint quick disconnect assembly.  I'm putting in a decent size order with Spruce (free shipping) and would love to just add these onto that order, but I can't find or figure out the part#.  Anyone know it or can point me in the right direction, by chance?

Thanks!
Vance

Vance,

Here is one from McMaster-Carr, you need the one with 1/4-28 thread.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#rod-ends/=19mntq2

Clarence

Thanks Clarence.  I'll order from Mcmaster.  Was just hoping I was missing it on Spruce, but doesn't appear so.  Appreciate the link.

Looks like the Mcmaster part for the regular one is 6058K32 and the stainless one is 6058K72; just for anyone seeing this in the future.

Thanks again!
Vance

6 minutes ago, vance.k said:

Thanks Clarence.  I'll order from Mcmaster.  Was just hoping I was missing it on Spruce, but doesn't appear so.  Appreciate the link.

Looks like the Mcmaster part for the regular one is 6058K32 and the stainless one is 6058K72; just for anyone seeing this in the future.

Thanks again!
Vance

I've seen them on the Spruce site, but can't find it at the moment.  If I find it I will post it as well.

Clarence