Lycoming engine codes, for those who don't already know

eman1200

I spent a little time searching the forum for this and couldn't find it.  MODS, if this already exists, or there is a better thread on the same topic, feel free to delete my thread.

But for noobies like me trying to learn some stuff, I came across this helpful link that describes the different Lycoming engines codes and what they mean.  So if you don't know what the difference is between a O-320-A2A and a O-360-A1D, this is for you.

http://www.meyette.us/LycomingEngineNumbers.htm

thanks.

• Like 4

Similar to Lycoming, the current list of Continental with prices is....

http://www.continentalmotors.aero/Engine_Details/

I prefer the IO550(N)....

Trying to find all the detail will take additional effort. The N has an updated cylinder cooling fin design and is a few pounds lighter than the G...

From the above site...  Reason why Continental doesn't have the same level of cam rust issues...

'Continental Camshafts come with an anti-scuff coating to ease break-in. Continental’s engine designs place the cam below the crank which results in improved camshaft lubrication.'

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

Similar to Lycoming, the current list of Continental with prices is....

http://www.continentalmotors.aero/Engine_Details/

I prefer the IO550(N)....

Trying to find all the detail will take additional effort. The N has an updated cylinder cooling fin design and is a few pounds lighter than the G...

From the above site...  Reason why Continental doesn't have the same level of cam rust issues...

'Continental Camshafts come with an anti-scuff coating to ease break-in. Continental’s engine designs place the cam below the crank which results in improved camshaft lubrication.'

Best regards,

-a-

I wouldn't buy the theory on TCM cams not rusting.  We've seen just as many in gold engines as grey engines.  The primary advantage with a TCM is that you can pull the lifters without splitting the case.  If caught in time the camshaft can be saved.

Clarence

The original mushroom lifters in lycomings came from the 1936 Oldsmobile.  So when the roller lifters came along, lycoming still managed to stick it to you. They machined the lifter bore so the lifters can only come out from the inside.

18 hours ago, jetdriven said:

The original mushroom lifters in lycomings came from the 1936 Oldsmobile.  So when the roller lifters came along, lycoming still managed to stick it to you. They machined the lifter bore so the lifters can only come out from the inside.

That does totally suck, doesn't it? I wish they would redesign the block so that the cam could be replaced without splitting the case like you can on all kinds of car engines with push rods. I guess that would cut into new engine and rebuild sales though...   :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Dave, I was curious about your 66F. That was the introduction year and only 3 were supposed to have been built. Then I noticed that your ser # 660004 was supposed to be a Mustang per:

http://www.mooneyevents.com/chrono.htm

Got a story there?

Yeah, the Mooney Events guy is wrong. He didn't do much research, or it slipped his mind when he typed it up. The POH, service manual and parts catalogs (not to mention my airframe data plate) all mention the 1966 F being serial numbers 660001 through 660004. There where four '66 Fs built. The F built right after mine was 670000 and is a officially a '67. 

• Like 1