New Member Groups

mooniac58

New member here.  I’m not an owner (yet).  I’ll be seriously looking for a M20F in a few short years.  I was originally looking at Cherokee 180’s but it’s just hard to beat a Mooney for the traveling that my wife and I want to do  

I’m from North East Tennessee.  Typically fly out of KJI and KVJI and rent 172’s from both places.  

I have my instrument  and my commercial and around 300ish hours. 

Looking forward to learning about Mooney’s in this site . 

11 hours ago, wpilot673 said:

New member here.  I’m not an owner (yet).  I’ll be seriously looking for a M20F in a few short years.  I was originally looking at Cherokee 180’s but it’s just hard to beat a Mooney for the traveling that my wife and I want to do  

I’m from North East Tennessee.  Typically fly out of KJI and KVJI and rent 172’s from both places.  

I have my instrument  and my commercial and around 300ish hours. 

Looking forward to learning about Mooney’s in this site . 

Welcome aboard!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, new guy here.

2018 goal is to actually do something I've talked about for over 30 years and get my PPL.  Few things to get sorted out, sell a car, have some shoulder surgery etc.

2019 goal will be to fulfill a 20-year goal of owning a Mooney.  Ever since I saw them on Wonderful World of Flying in the late 90's on Speedvision I knew it was the plane I'd want.

Until then, I will try and learn as much as I can.  From lurking for a month or so I can tell this is an OUTSTANDING community with little of the drama and internal politics of many other forums.

I know there are a couple of Metro Detroit based people on the board here, I may ping you down the road for a little first-hand information and knowledge.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard, rumble!

somebody recently posted a wonderful world of flying video around here, not so long ago.

We have a great group of pilots in the Michigan area.  They tend to want to fly south this time of year.  :)

Get started soon.  It is hard to get a lifetime of flying in if you have waited 30years already.

No time for a Cub.  Go Mooney!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd add my name to MS.... I'm a relatively new (~80 hours total, ~35 since finishing my ticket in August) private pilot, currently flying a perfectly okay, but ugly and slow (even for the breed) C172M as part of a flying club at one of my local airports (KILG).

I've been reading MS for a few weeks now and see at least one familiar face from my other local airport, N57. (Hi, Chris!) I'm getting to the point where buying a plane looks feasible in the near future (roughly 1 year timeframe), and it seems like a Mooney is the ideal way to meet my needs. I've now sat in an especially nice F (again, Hi Chris!) and a pretty nice F, and I'm hoping to fly with the owner of the pretty nice F when we get some decent weather and he's available.

My reason for preferring a Mooney is that being able to get from N. Delaware (likely N57) to Bar Harbor, ME (~450NM) in a reasonable time (3-3.5 hours, which corresponds to >130KTAS) without refueling drastically improves the happiness of my better half with an airplane purchase. She's fine with flying, but unexcited about flying for its own sake; she's much more enthusiastic about getting somewhere.

Most of the time, it will just be the two of us, and I'd imagine any trips with 3+ people would be relatively short, so I'm mostly eyeing the C/E, though I'm open to an F if the right one comes along at a price within my range. My plan is to get my instrument rating in the plane after getting comfortable in it as a VFR pilot.

As of now, my priorities (in approximate order) are:

1. Good, clean, solid airframe

2. Good engine/prop with a decent amount of time (likely) left on them

3. Decent or better avionics. I'd like a 430W or better, a functional second nav/com, a decent panel layout, an autopilot, and an engine monitor. I'd LOVE better, but I can live with that for now.

4. A good interior is important, but I'm fine with redoing that as needed.

5. Not-horrible or better paint is great.

I'm ambivalent on electric/manual gear.

Anyhow, I thought I'd introduce myself and say that I've been enjoying reading this forum. I should also mention that I'm a big fan of more information rather than less, so feel free to let me know why I'm wrong. 

Josh

Edited by jmoz

6 hours ago, jmoz said:

As of now, my priorities (in approximate order) are:

1. Good, clean, solid airframe

2. Good engine/prop with a decent amount of time (likely) left on them

3. Decent or better avionics. I'd like a 430W or better, a functional second nav/com, a decent panel layout, an autopilot, and an engine monitor. I'd LOVE better, but I can live with that for now.

4. A good interior is important, but I'm fine with redoing that as needed.

5. Not-horrible or better paint is great.

I'm ambivalent on electric/manual gear.

Anyhow, I thought I'd introduce myself and say that I've been enjoying reading this forum. I should also mention that I'm a big fan of more information rather than less, so feel free to let me know why I'm wrong. 

Josh

Welcome aboard Josh. This is an excellent way to start looking for an airplane to own. I did the same thing when I bought my first Mooney. I made a wish list of everything I wanted and kept reordering the list until it was organized by priority. Then I went looking for the plane that got me as far down the list as my budget would allow.

You're right on track here.

Welcome aboard Josh. This is an excellent way to start looking for an airplane to own. I did the same thing when I bought my first Mooney. I made a wish list of everything I wanted and kept reordering the list until it was organized by priority. Then I went looking for the plane that got me as far down the list as my budget would allow.
You're right on track here.
That's great, thanks! I'm also very aware of the importance of a large reserve fund for unknown problems. I feel like the presence of an engine monitor serves two purposes: first, it's a good idea to have, and second it suggests the previous owner probably paid attention to the engine health.@Marauder had lots of advice. Sometime later in the process, I'll probably ask MS for lots of advice!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all! Long time lurker first time poster. Fairly low time IR/SEL pilot, Insurance finally came back today so I will be starting my transition into a nicely equipped 86 M20K 252 shortly. Looking forward to picking peoples minds from time to time.

11 minutes ago, swanny said:

Hello all! Long time lurker first time poster. Fairly low time IR/SEL pilot, Insurance finally came back today so I will be starting my transition into a nicely equipped 86 M20K 252 shortly. Looking forward to picking peoples minds from time to time.

Then you don't need to be warned about what happens when you post things. :) 

32 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Congrats on your first post, Swanny.

M20Ks are gaining in popularity around here lately.

Learn as much as you can.  :)

Best rgerads,

-a-

Thanks, I plan on it. Local rentals have left me with a bit of a sore spot, so being able to get intimate with an airplane will be a welcomed change.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, Jereme here new to these forums, purchased my m20J N201PH in November. Been flying it about 100 hours a month to time build, currently about 500 TT commercial multi with instrument. 

Hi, Jereme here new to these forums, purchased my m20J N201PH in November. Been flying it about 100 hours a month to time build, currently about 500 TT commercial multi with instrument. 

Wow! Let me know what kind of work you are in to free up 100 hours a month to fly!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

On 4/25/2018 at 12:38 PM, jmoz said:

If unemployment paid that well, I'd have quit my job long ago!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Me too, I'm sort of risking it all (my savings) to expedite my journey to 1500 so I can begin my aviation career. Seems most of the low hour jobs are flying single engine planes which I'm still working on my com add-on for. Hoping to be completed before the funds run dry.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

New member here, 119TT PPL, MS reader for seven month.

Lots of information here!

IR written test completed, am interested to purchase either a m20 C or E to start IFR training.

It seems my butget (50,000.) is barely enough to purchase a C or E with a low SMOH, gns430, and AP!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 5/20/2018 at 8:29 PM, mikershetler said:

New member here, 119TT PPL, MS reader for seven month.

Lots of information here!

IR written test completed, am interested to purchase either a m20 C or E to start IFR training.

It seems my butget (50,000.) is barely enough to purchase a C or E with a low SMOH, gns430, and AP!

Welcome Mike

• 2 months later...