New Member Groups

mooniac58

Hello All!

Ok, I have finally gone through and set each user that has donated to Mooneyspace with the group "Supporter" - you will see this under your avatar in posts, etc.  Members that have not donated will appear as "Basic Member."  Any member that has donated $10 or more in the past 12 months will be a Supporter.  I don't have an automated way of doing this so there will likely be lag in getting your supporter status after donating.

Note that we will be putting in advertisements in the site soon.  Supporters will not see these ads and Basic Members will.

If you have not donated in the past year please consider doing so to support the site. btn_donate_LG.gif

Also note that I don't have record of the members that sent in checks - if you did please let me know when you did this and I can find the deposit record online.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Craig

• Like 6

N601RX you were right - all the permissions were set wrong on the new group.  I have fixed this as well as give Supporters more access on the site.  Supporters can do things like give twice the amount of social points (50 pts), upload movies and some other small things.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Advertisements noooooooo what happened? Not enough supporters to pay for server space and bandwidth? For profit? To support new functionality like in site video uploads? Too much non-member traffic?

Hahahah... the adds don't apply to Supporters, just free loaders ;-)

56 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Advertisements noooooooo what happened? Not enough supporters to pay for server space and bandwidth? For profit? To support new functionality like in site video uploads? Too much non-member traffic?

If you donate $10 or more you will not see ads for 12 months.  Please note that this site is not a charity or even a non-profit organization.  The intentions were always to generate some kind of small income from this website to compensate my time.  Since 2008 I have ran it purely off member donations without any form of gain - so it is long overdue.

For those that have contributed, thank you!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mooniac58 said:

If you donate $10 or more you will not see ads for 12 months.  Please note that this site is not a charity or even a non-profit organization.  The intentions were always to generate some kind of small income from this website to compensate my time.  Since 2008 I have ran it purely off member donations without any form of gain - so it is long overdue.

For those that have contributed, thank you!

I don't have a problem with your making a profit from our donations, especially since I have the option of not donating.  Like I said earlier, this site has been invaluable and the knowledge from the other members has saved me a quite a bit versus paying my mechanic or a shop to help me troubleshoot issues.

• Like 1

As a Malibu owner I pay $250 per year to be a MMOPA member and for access to their forums (there is no free option with ads - in fact the paid version sill has ads!), which is about the only real PA46 group out there online.  I am happy to keep this free for people that don't mind seeing a few ads here and there and for those that are willing to chip in $10+ I think it is a more than fair fee given the cost of other places.

• Like 1

I don't mind the idea that some of the money compensates Mooniac, and I am more than happy to donate to keep the site running, but I would be even happier if we could donate to keep the site ad free for everyone. There are other mailing lists and mooney sites, but mooneyspace is pretty much the portal for all vintage Mooney owners, fanciers, and prospective buyers. It is my feeling that our ability to do that reflects on us as a community in a public way.

• Like 1

Just now, rbridges said:

Is there any notification when the 12 months is close to ending?

Unfortunately no.  For now this is just a manual system that I am using an Excel spreadsheet for.  I am going to do my best to notify members when their 12 months is close to being up.

In the future I hope to get some kind of plug-in or add-on for IPBoard that is an automated membership type system.

4 minutes ago, Conrad said:

I don't mind the idea that some of the money compensates Mooniac, and I am more than happy to donate to keep the site running, but I would be even happier if we could donate to keep the site ad free for everyone.

I think Craig has already tried this, now for several years, to allow people to donate enough to not have ads.  That has not worked!

So if the ads do end up bother any member, JUST DONATE the $10 of pocket change. 

Operating costs need to be covered!

Would it be possible to have donation drives 2 times a year?  If the banner gets left up all the time some may not realize it's been a while since they donated.  I don't mind donating more or more often, if the 2 drives a year would not work, then perhaps there is some kind of funding status bar that could be added.  A graduated scale that is red, yellow and green would let us know the needs.

Would it be possible to do the work to have donation drives combined with some way to let users know how much money is needed to keep the site (and its administrators) running? I also think having the supporter tag is still a good idea. It encourages people to donate in a constructive way, and losing the supporter tag would remind people that the community needs continuing support.

2 hours ago, mooniac58 said:

As a Malibu owner I pay $250 per year to be a MMOPA member and for access to their forums (there is no free option with ads - in fact the paid version sill has ads!), which is about the only real PA46 group out there online.  I am happy to keep this free for people that don't mind seeing a few ads here and there and for those that are willing to chip in $10+ I think it is a more than fair fee given the cost of other places.

profit is not a bad word, you certainly are providing some deliverables, Craig. Thanks again for all your good work.

• Like 3