West Coast Mooney 2016 Get Together LOCATION PREFFERENCE

FlyDave

2016 West coast get together - LOCATION PREFFERENCE  

31 members have voted

1. 1. If you're attending please select your preferred location:

• Harris Ranch (3o8) Harris Ranch Restaurant, http://www.harrisranch.com/dine.php, Fuel (as of 12/20/2015): $5.49, Instrument Approach: None. Fuel: $5.49
    • Wattsonville (KWVI), Ella's Restaurant - Mexican Food (one room with glass wall facing tiedowns), http://www.ellasinwatsonville.com/index.html, Instrument Approaches: LPV (DA 306) & LOC (MDA 548), Fuel (as of 12/20/2015): $5.00
    • Santa Maria (KSMX), Pepper Garcia's - Mexican Food (tables & booths - a bit broken up) http://www.yelp.com/biz/pepper-garcias-santa-maria, Instrument Approach: ILS, Fuel (as of 12/20/2015): $4.18

On December 22, 2015 at 8:23 PM, Bennett said:

One of nice things about SMX is that you can taxi right up to the back door of the Raddison. Lots of tie downs, and the hotel rates aren't bad for those who want to stay over a night. Food is not, in my opinion, spectacular, but that's not the reason for the get together. The terminal at SMX has several brands of rental cars for those who might want to stay over and explore the area. Frankly, I don't care where the meet will be held. Just decide soon, and let us know.

Plus we can all get our planes painted at Art Craft while we eat! :P

All,

As of right now we have a potential for 30 planes and 40.5 attendees.

I'm still waiting on thinwing and mikefox to confirm their headcount but I'm going to start making arrangements.

If anyone that isn't on the list below is planning to attend, please send me a headcount.

Screen Name    Attendees
Flight2000                2
MB65E                     2
stevesm20B             2
bonal                        2
xrs135                   1.5
Bennett                     1
VetRepp                    1
thinwing                    X
3914N                       2
kmyfm20s                 1
N803RM                 1.5
StinkBug                    1
Mhemperly                 2
wishboneash           1.5
pfactor                        2
M016576                 1.5
Conrad                       1
M20S Driver            1.5
rahill                         1.5
DaV8or                       1
Larry                           2
Nemesis                     1
mikefox                      X
Jim Peace                  1
zerobearing2           1.5
Jim F                           1
ottorecker                    2
Jetlag                          1
JonHop                       1
flydave                        1
Total                      40.5

Thanks,

Dave

Yes, Sunday the 10th of January at 11 AM is the final date and per this poll, Watsonville is our destination.

I have a call into the Watsonville Airport manager to get things arranged but probably won't hear back from him until Monday. I'll post here as soon as I talk to him.

On a different note, I went to my hangar on Thursday and found what you see in the pictures below: fuel leak (I'm hoping can be fixed by my on-field mechanic) and a broken rod on my right main gear linkage causing the inner gear door to hang in the breeze. The right tank was patched in 2004 so I think the sealant in that area has just given way again. The broken rod, Mooney part number 550082-505 is part of Mooney service bulletin M20-254, dated 4/1/93 but doesn't list my SN on the affected list and there is a note in the logs in 1994 stating N/A on the SB. None the less, we'll be complying with this SB now.

Bonal - I may have to ride with you to the fly-in!

Broken gear rod.jpg

Fuel leak.jpg

Inner gear door hanging.jpg

Dave,

Something to consider while you are looking at the one side...

That rod has an unusual paint color compared to the others nearby. Indicating that it may not be original to the plane.  Does the other wheel have a similar paint color or health issue?

Best regards,

-a-

9 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Dave,

Something to consider while you are looking at the one side...

That rod has an unusual paint color compared to the others nearby. Indicating that it may not be original to the plane.  Does the other wheel have a similar paint color or health issue?

Best regards,

-a-

Aaron,

Yes it does. See attached pic.

Dave

Right main gear.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kortopates said:

Dave, you could get the broken rod welded back to new. Faster than ordering a new one too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul,

Thanks for the input. I'm going to explore all options first thing Monday morning and will report back here as to how I'm proceeding.

Thanks,

Dave

6 hours ago, kortopates said:

Dave, you could get the broken rod welded back to new. Faster than ordering a new one too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not exactly close, but if you can get me the broken parts I can weld it back together and ship it back to you, at least as a temporary fix til you can get the new parts.

33 minutes ago, StinkBug said:

I'm not exactly close, but if you can get me the broken parts I can weld it back together and ship it back to you, at least as a temporary fix til you can get the new parts.

StinkBug,

Thanks - I'll keep that in mind. When my mechanic saw it briefly on Thursday he said we may be able to get it welded so I think he has someone local if we go that route.

I do want to check into the SB I mentioned and see if we need to replace the other items as well - and on the other side.

See you all on the 10th (if not in my Mooney maybe Bonal's Mooney or, weather permitting, in the plane in the attached picture).

Dave

AeroTrek airborne.jpg

9 hours ago, OR75 said:

Curious if the breaking of the rod and the fuel leak are related .

I've been trying to make a connection between the 2 but can't come up with anything I've done. No hard landings, physical damage, earthquakes, Marauder's girls sitting on the wing, acts of god, etc. I religiously put wood  down between the hangar door rails and a small ramp so the plane doesn't bounce going in or out of the hangar.

I don't think the broken rod affects anything but the inner gear door nor the fuel leak affected anything inboard of the leak such as the strength or integrity of the rod or any other components.

The left wing has never been patched according to the log books. Nor has there been any evidence of a leak on that wing. Also, the rod on left is intact - as far as I can tell.

If anyone has any ideas on how these two issues are related please let me know.

Thanks,

Dave

So, I've been told by 2 or 3 MSC's that Mooney has 4 or 5 of the gear rod in stock. But they are closed until the 4th. I'll order it on the 4th, get it on the 5th and have it installed on the 6th.

As far as the fuel leak goes, I spoke to Greg at Advanced Aircraft in Troutdale, OR and he said he may be able to patch it. If he can he can probably do it  while I wait. Fly up in the morning and fly home in the afternoon. And a patch is just time and materials - Wow!!

10 hours ago, FlyDave said:

So, I've been told by 2 or 3 MSC's that Mooney has 4 or 5 of the gear rod in stock. But they are closed until the 4th. I'll order it on the 4th, get it on the 5th and have it installed on the 6th.

As far as the fuel leak goes, I spoke to Greg at Advanced Aircraft in Troutdale, OR and he said he may be able to patch it. If he can he can probably do it  while I wait. Fly up in the morning and fly home in the afternoon. And a patch is just time and materials - Wow!!

Very recent experience with ordering parts from Mooney Kerrville, first rate!  Parts were ordered in the AM, shipped that very day.  Happiness!!

Greg and Ed at Advanced Aircraft Service, Troutdale...........Top quality service, highest integrity and fair pricing.  Having had their tank patching service and complete reseal over the past 3 years, I speak from experience. 

Hello west coast mooney group,

N811SS would like to come, did you settle on a date yet?  Was it the 10th of January?  Middle ground between NorCal and SoCal  makes sense but perhaps next meeting the group could go to KCNO ( Chino, ca. ).  Flo's airport cafe and the aircraft museums make it an interesting destination but possibly even a tour of mooney international (on the south side of the airfield) could be arranged?  Just a thought.