M20J Electric Fuel Pump

mikefox

I have an '89 M20J and the electric fuel pump is making some "squealing" noises when priming for engine start.  I have two questions:

1. Anyone else experience a "noisy" electric fuel pump, and could it indicate that it is on its last leg?

2. If the electric fuel pump were to fail, is it possible to start the engine cold without it?

Thanks,

Mike

I had the same issue last year with my '83 J...I know that squealing sound you are describing.  Got so bad that the boost pump switch wouldn't stay on for more than 10 seconds or so before tripping.  I replaced the switch but that didn't do the trick.  I ultimately replaced the pump and problem solved.  No idea on question #2.

You might try George's Electric in Sacramento.  They did an overhaul for us a few years ago.  Very reasonable and very timely service too.  I believe the owner is Mike.  Google search them for the contact information.  You can start the engine without the electric pump, but it take more cranking time.

• 1 year later...

I also had a noisy aux fuel pump, (but not the squealing you discribe ). Ask a couple of pilots to listen, they all told me it sounded ok, less than 10 hours later the fuel pump switch tripped out, and the pump never ran again.  I was away from my home airport, so started her by cranking.  I have the high speed Skytech starter and a 3 week old battery, and it was touch and go if she would start up.

Got a reconditioned Dukes unit, unit and fitting during the christmas week was ZAR 15999 ( $2000) in South Africa.

Mine is a 1981 M20J.

Quote: mikefox

I have an '89 M20J and the electric fuel pump is making some "squealing" noises when priming for engine start.  I have two questions:

1. Anyone else experience a "noisy" electric fuel pump, and could it indicate that it is on its last leg?

2. If the electric fuel pump were to fail, is it possible to start the engine cold without it?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike--

Mine went south just before annual last year. No squealing but I noticed the scent of gasoline when landing. The casing had split, and gasoline was escaping from the rupture, a very dangerous situation.

If the weather is warm enough, you should be able to start without using that pump, but that puts a greater load on the starter and battery. Not good.

Mine cost $875 and $80 labor to exchange it.

• 3 months later...