Pirep of Andoer Wireless Mobile Cell Phone PDA GSM Remote Control 3 Socket Power Outlet Smart Switch

Houman

I purchased this and a prepaid sim card from ATT, but it still blinks every second.  Does this mean it's not hooked in tthe GSM network?    Thanks for the help!!

The blinking light is supposed to mean that it is connected to a network. Does it work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

The blinking light is supposed to mean that it is connected to a network. Does it work?

Yes, and it flashes every second.  My best understanding of the poor instructions is that it flashes every four seconds after it connects to a network.  Is that right?  thanks very much!

2 hours ago, merrja said:

I purchased this and a prepaid sim card from ATT, but it still blinks every second.  Does this mean it's not hooked in tthe GSM network?    Thanks for the help!!

AT&T shut down their 2G network. I don't think your switch is going to work with an AT&T sim card. 

Yes, and it flashes every second.  My best understanding of the poor instructions is that it flashes every four seconds after it connects to a network.  Is that right?  thanks very much!

Flash every 4 second’s means it is connected to a network. Wondering if it works...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

45 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

Strange to think he died only 11 days after starting this topic.

It was a sad situation. Especially since he was so close to home after completing a lengthy trip to Florida and back. Does anyone know how his son is doing? Was there ever a final determination of cause?

• Like 1

My switchbox from Phil died and will not function at all. I can call in and it will turn on and than right back off, does not do anything for texts. He was no help trying to get it going again. Many calls and emails and only answered emails sporadically. 

So I bought  one of the GSM Smart Socket for $38 and set up, its working at home and will take to hanger soon.  PIREP Later 

When you set the thing up you must change the password by text following the instructions. Then send the owner phone number then it worked!!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Wireless-Smartphone-GSM-Remote-Control-3-Socket-Power-Outlet-Smart-Switch-/131695016405?hash=item1ea9a279d5

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cabanaboy said:

The one I bought from Phil died as well and like you, the guy is a zero on customer support. Notice how he isn't on this site anymore? Which one of us gave him a hard time? Oh, it was me. I have a thread out there about the quality of his offering and his poor customer service.

My original Andoer also died. The $48 Andoer made it a year longer than Phil's Switchbox. I purchased another Andoer and this time the center receptacle is actually two ports. The rating is the same and I think it is also made by the same company that made the Andoer but it is a different brand.

The instructions are the exact ones from the original unit I had. I did a full write-up earlier in this thread on how to program it. I also purchased the temperature probe and it is pretty cool to see that you can program the unit to operate if the temp reaches a certain point.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, I've been using this for the last two years and assumed all was good.  I've been using it to switch on/off a small ceramic heater to preheat the cabin and gauges.  Ignorance is bliss.  The last time I used it, I happened to just check the box. The cord from the outlet was so hot it was almost melting.  I recall back when this topic first started someone was using this switch to power some sort of relay for this problem.  I can't seem to find that anymore.  Probably skipped right over it.

19 minutes ago, Eraaen said:

So, I've been using this for the last two years and assumed all was good.  I've been using it to switch on/off a small ceramic heater to preheat the cabin and gauges.  Ignorance is bliss.  The last time I used it, I happened to just check the box. The cord from the outlet was so hot it was almost melting.  I recall back when this topic first started someone was using this switch to power some sort of relay for this problem.  I can't seem to find that anymore.  Probably skipped right over it.

Here is the link to the relay that I am using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WV7GMA2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was mentioned earlier in the thread. I use it to control the ceramic heater and the Reiff is on the switch itself.

https://www.amazon.com/KiaoTime-GSM-AUTO-DC-US4G-Output-Control-Contact/dp/B01N5LGJLA/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_236_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=EG39H92W8ERDCAQZ317T

A new AT&T 4G switch I just stumbled across.  I was bench testing my old TMobile Smart Socket and could not get the system to connect to the Network.  After 30+ minutes on the phone with TMobile trying to verify my account was still active (three transferred phone calls, etc) I finally got frustrated and told them to pound sand and canceled my TMobile account.  All of my other accounts are with AT&T.  Found it interesting.  It's the first switch I've seen that supports 4G.

Anybody else researched this one yet?

https://www.amazon.com/KiaoTime-GSM-AUTO-DC-US4G-Output-Control-Contact/dp/B01N5LGJLA/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_236_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=EG39H92W8ERDCAQZ317T
A new AT&T 4G switch I just stumbled across.  I was bench testing my old TMobile Smart Socket and could not get the system to connect to the Network.  After 30+ minutes on the phone with TMobile trying to verify my account was still active (three transferred phone calls, etc) I finally got frustrated and told them to pound sand and canceled my TMobile account.  All of my other accounts are with AT&T.  Found it interesting.  It's the first switch I've seen that supports 4G.

My Andoer switch I had been using for the past two years did the same thing. I bought another one and it has been fine with T-Mobile.

When T-Mobile discontinues the service, reportedly in 2020, I will need to find another way of doing this. Maybe there will be other options then.

4 hours ago, Eraaen said:

You need to watch out on those "GSM-AUTO" units.. they are the same design as the ones ones that the switchbox used.   Phil manually put in extra wires/traces between the AC terminals and the relays.. those relays are rated at 30A.. but the traces on the board are not thick enough to carry anywhere near that load.   so even running a single heater is probably over the stock abilities of that switch.   Now you could pair it with the external relay that Marauder linked to...    The Andoer units have at least 15A spec wiring within them. 

Yep, been using one with T-Mobile, but it only supports 2g. It stopped working for me (and needed a relay to prevent melting) This one supports att4g. However, the cheapest Att plan is $20 per month. I did verify that it will work on T-Mobile 4g for $3 per month and not be phased out in 2020 like the older unit I had been using.  That's the theory anyway. Just wondering if anyone has actually tried it

So guys is there a need for an industrial switch (big wires and relays that don't overheat) that works on GSM or 4G?    If you were to give me the requirements It would be easy to build. it would use industrial contacts for the relay.   Other options would be a web page for checking status. 

We could also automate some things like if temp falls below certain level, things could happen automatically.

We could also make it two parts.   the switch relay could be over by the plane (it's a manage current thing)  and the control GSM unit could be on the wall. Makes sure the cell antenna stays in contact with the network.

Possible feature list

Web page for status - turning things on and off

Motion detector for taking pictures and turning on lights

Camera for taking pictures (security)

email status

Heavy duty relays like used in airconditioners for compressors  https://www.amazon.com/Packard-PACKARD-C240A-Contactor-Voltage/dp/B06X8Z255M/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1518354193&sr=8-6&keywords=220v+relay

Control for water valves

The basic turn heaters on and off looks like $150 in parts

Raspberry PI $20

Relay $40

Wires and stuff $30

GSM module $40

Power supplies $20

Yetti, all nice things to have, but would require a persistent wi-fi connection which would be, if not available at your hangar, $10-40 month. The nice thing about the cell switch set up is that you can use alarm-system-style plans that are readily available for $3/month. Perfect for a cheap bastard such as I and my partners.

If you do pursue, I have a Python code daemon I wrote to get my raspberry pi to do the simple on/off functions that I would be glad to contribute to the cause.

Yetti, all nice things to have, but would require a persistent wi-fi connection which would be, if not available at your hangar, $10-40 month. The nice thing about the cell switch set up is that you can use alarm-system-style plans that are readily available for $3/month. Perfect for a cheap bastard such as I and my partners.
If you do pursue, I have a Python code daemon I wrote to get my raspberry pi to do the simple on/off functions that I would be glad to contribute to the cause.

Yeah, the WiFi internet access is the issue that forced me to a cellular switch.

I use a simple 7 day timer which powers an external relay. Works great for my needs and safety powers two 750 watt heaters. I’m normally at the hangar every week and just set it based on my work schedule and predicted weather.  Interior and engine are normally at 75 when I hop in.  A family member has an old remote beeper box that still works great (modified for cell phone) after 15 years.

• Like 1

I am planning kind of the same thing for the other house.   If no people movement for 12 hours, the water heater is disconnected, the well pump is shut down (we may turn it back on for irrigation purpose), the city water is cut off.   https://www.amazon.com/Motorized-Stainless-Electrical-U-S-Solid/dp/B06XN5TZX7/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1518367757&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=us+solid+1"+valve It has limited internet.

at city house with persistent internet....  Mrs. Yetti got scared this morning because the lamp plugged into the Wemo plug came on  when she walked through.  the lamp shuts down after 10 minutes of no people activity.   It also takes a picture on movement, Next it is going to play a sound of a shotgun cocking then "Get on the ground, do not move, the police are on their way, your picture has been taken"

and it sends an email and puts a tweet out.