Pirep of Andoer Wireless Mobile Cell Phone PDA GSM Remote Control 3 Socket Power Outlet Smart Switch

Houman

Alternatively, you can buy a generic Switchbox for $100. The internals appear identical to those in the Switchbox pic posted by Marauder.

http://www.amazon.com/Generic-GSM-AUTO-AC-Output-Control-Contact/dp/B00XVWG3ZA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_60_13?ie=UTF8&dpID=51b8uLd0LAL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=00TT4AA8Y3ZKHQ10RN24

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of respect to Houman, I will finish up my evaluation of the Andoer device I ordered based on his recommendation. It showed up this afternoon. I will take a run to the airport tomorrow and use my T-Mobile to see if I can get this to work.

I am pleased to see it has a CE label on it and looks as well made as the SwitchBox.

40a5d02a383b90d63f933648bfc796db.jpg

P.S. Houman was right about the English in the instructions...

b1c1aef381016097cf439ac46a7778f1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does it have the frequencies on the bottom of the switch like the amazon picture?

No, the box just says "American version"

When I get back from the airport, I will do a full write-up on it. Bottom line; Houman was right, it works!

I ordered a t-mobile SIM card today. I am hoping that is what you are using. If so, I'll have a switch of my own in a couple of days.

13 hours ago, JaredDavis said:

Does it have the frequencies on the bottom of the switch like the amazon picture?

1 hour ago, Brandontwalker said:

I ordered a t-mobile SIM card today. I am hoping that is what you are using. If so, I'll have a switch of my own in a couple of days.

Ok, full PIREP. Wasn't sure what to expect. The unit itself shipped from mainland China. Was delivered by the United States Postal Service (like other things I have bought directly from China).

I posted a picture of the complete unit above. It appears well built and has labels suggesting it was built by someone who actually works with electronics (hear that Philip?). The manufacturer is Shenzhen RuiEnSi Electronic Company, LTD. And it appears they actually make this stuff for a living: http://www.ruiensi.com

There are a row of soft press buttons on the top. I will post pictures of these when I figure out why my photo uploads isn't working. The first 3 buttons are used for manually controlling the 3 switches. The fourth is used to program the unit manually if you don't want to do it over the phone with SMS messages.

2c198a4504d3368594ff641db61934a1.jpg

On the top of the unit there is a connector for what the manual calls "temperature readings". Based on the documentation, it looks like you can program the box to do things with temperature being a parameter. Since the english in the documentation is pretty marginal, I will play around with it a bit to see if I can figure out how that works. In addition to the temperature connector, the SIM slides into the top through a slot. It sticks out a little and goes in the opposite of the direction you would normally expect it to. Use the picture on the front label to get the orientation correct. One thing I do not like about the location is that it is exposed to the elements and potential no good doers. But it will make it easier if you need to replace it. As for a SIM, I took the one out of my SwitchBox and used it. It is a T-Mobile and it worked fine.

292af9a88970a0e782218b765bd3f1d7.jpg

The three main switches are designed to work with a variety of power plugs. I think based on my memory of being in Europe a little earlier this year, they are configurable for the 200+ volt crowd. The connectors themselves are okay, but again because they are universal they can let dirt get into the holes that you aren't using.

3e96bc2d4374a16d97440a5bac128d9b.jpg

The antennae is longer than the SwitchBox's but more fragile. Ask me how I know... Despite Mongo Marauder handling, it attached fine. 

b13a36bce574e62d301b5a2b24cecf48.jpg

The unit gets its power from a removable power cord. And it appears well made.

Programming:

The instructions can be followed if you are good at interpretation skills. Think: "What are they trying to say?" and you will figure it out. To program the unit, you can do this through SMS text messages. To help those who are buying one, here are my translations of the steps:

Step 1: Plug in the power cable. They got that right! Just don't plug it into the outlet yet.

Step 2: Install the SIM card, notched side up. 

Step 3: Plug the sucker in. The SIG light will blink red and then continue to blink red at a slower rate. Wait 60 seconds for the unit to identify the SIM and you will be fine.

Step 4: Set a new passcode. The factory default is 000000. To change it, send this text message to the SIM card's phone number:

SN000000NEW123456

When the text is received, the unit will send you a text back stating NEW SN SET OK NEW SN IS 123456

Step 5: This one had me stumped at first. It is to set the telephone number that can dial into the box. When I get more time, I will verify whether or not this means just a dial in or also includes the text message. This is where SwitchBox has an advantage. He calls this the "white list". You can have several telephone numbers allowed to do the calling in. I will check to see if this can be expanded.

The SMS text you need to send to get it assigned to your phone is this (I am using 1-555-9876-5432 as my fake number in the example -- don't forget the "1" in front):

SN123456SET155598765432 The number after the SN is the newly set passcode from step 4.

You will receive a text back stating: 155598765432SETOK

Step 6: Option 1 (using a text message): This is the action packed part. Each switch can be sent an individual code to turn it on (N), turn it off (F) or ignore it (X). If you want to turn on all 3 switches you would use this text message:

SN123456COMNNN

You want 1 and 3 on and 2 to be ignored: 

SN123456COMNXN

Step 6: Option 2: (calling the bad boy up): You begin by calling the SIM number from your Step 5. Once you call it, some nice woman answers. She makes 22 cents an hour in a Chinese Call Center, but she is there to help you no matter what time you call. Sorry, I'm getting punchy editing this. When you call the number, the box answers. I think it was broken English being spoken but the heavy rain on the tin roof made it hard to hear. When you call, you enter your passcode with the # sign at the end. They called this an octothorp (if that is what it is, they know English better than me): 123456#

Once the code is accepted, the nice lady says "your passcode is correct". Once she says that, you're in. What is confusing about their instructions here is the fact they only talk about turning switches on and off but show the picture from step 6, option 1. It makes it seem that you can "ignore" a switch like you can with a text message, but I don't think you can.

Once your passcode is accepted, you simply hit the number of the switch and either an asterisk to turn it on or the switch number and a pound sign to turn it off. You can do this as many times as you want. So, to turn all 3 on, you type in;

1*2*3*

You want them off; 1#2#3#

When you are all done with the phone call, simply hit *# and she will say "good-bye". Hope this helps...

Thank you Houman! You won't be forgotten.

Edited by Marauder
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

No, the box just says "American version"

When I get back from the airport, I will do a full write-up on it. Bottom line; Houman was right, it works!

Thanks for confirming it works in the States Chris- just ordered mine.  

And sadly a too late thank you to Mr. Houman Yahyaei.

13 hours ago, JaredDavis said: Does it have the frequencies on the bottom of the switch like the amazon picture?

1 hour ago, Brandontwalker said: I ordered a t-mobile SIM card today. I am hoping that is what you are using. If so, I'll have a switch of my own in a couple of days.

Ok, full PIREP. Wasn't sure what to expect. The unit itself shipped from mainland China. Was delivered by the United States Postal Service (like other things I have bought directly from China).

I posted a picture of the complete unit above. It appears well built and has labels suggesting it was built by someone who actually works with electronics (hear that Philip?). The manufacturer is Shenzhen RuiEnSi Electronic Company, LTD. And it appears they actually make this stuff for a living: http://www.ruiensi.com

There are a row of soft press buttons on the top. I will post pictures of these when I figure out why my photo uploads isn't working. The first 3 buttons are used for manually controlling the 3 switches. The fourth is used to program the unit manually if you don't want to do it over the phone with SMS messages.

On the top of the unit there is a connector for what the manual calls "temperature readings". Based on the documentation, it looks like you can program the box to do things with temperature being a parameter. Since the english in the documentation is pretty marginal, I will play around with it a bit to see if I can figure out how that works. In addition to the temperature connector, the SIM slides into the top through a slot. It sticks out a little and goes in the opposite of the direction you would normally expect it to. Use the picture on the front label to get the orientation correct. One thing I do not like about the location is that it is exposed to the elements and potential no good doers. But it will make it easier if you need to replace it. As for a SIM, I took the one out of my SwitchBox and used it. It is a T-Mobile and it worked fine.

The three main switches are designed to work with a variety of power plugs. I think based on my memory of being in Europe a little earlier this year, they are configurable for the 200+ volt crowd. The connectors themselves are okay, but again because they are universal they can let dirt get into the holes that you aren't using.

The antennae is longer than the SwitchBox's but more fragile. Ask me how I know... Despite Mongo Marauder handling, it attached fine. 

The unit gets its power from a removable power cord. And it appears well made.

Programming:

The instructions can be followed if you are good at interpretation skills. Think: "What are they trying to say?" and you will figure it out. To program the unit, you can do this throw SMS text messages. To help those who are buying one, here are my translations of the steps:

Step 1: Plug in the power cable. They got that right! Just don't plug it into the outlet yet.

Step 2: Install the SIM card, notched side up. 

Step 3: Plug the sucker in. The SIG light will blink red and then continue to blink red at a slower rate. Wait 60 seconds for the unit to identify the SIM and you will be fine.

Step 4: Set a new passcode. The factory default is 000000. To change it, send this text message to the SIM card's phone number:

SN000000NEW123456

When the text is received, the unit will send you a text back stating NEW SN SET OK NEW SN IS 123456

Step 5: This one had me stumped at first. It is to set the telephone number that can dial into the box. When I get more time, I will verify whether or not this means just a dial in or also includes the text message. This is where SwitchBox has an advantage. He calls this the "white list". You can have several telephone numbers allowed to do the calling in. I will check to see if this can be expanded.

The SMS text you need to send to get it assigned to your phone is this (I am using 1-555-9876-5432 as my fake number in the example -- don't forget the "1" in front):

SN123456SET155598765432 The number after the SN is the newly set passcode from step 4.

You will receive a text back stating: 155598765432SETOK

Step 6: Option 1 (using a text message): This is the action packed part. Each switch can be sent an individual code to turn it on (N), turn it off (F) or ignore it (X). If you want to turn on all 3 switches you would use this text message:

SN123456COMNNN

You want 1 and 3 on and 2 to be ignored: 

SN123456COMNXN

Step 6: Option 2: (calling the bad boy up): You begin by calling the SIM number from your Step 5. Once you call it, some nice woman answers. She makes 22 cents an hour in a Chinese Call Center, but she is there to help you no matter what time you call. Sorry, I'm getting punchy editing this. When you call the number, the box answers. I think it was broken English being spoken but the heavy rain on the tin roof made it hard to hear. When you call, you enter your passcode with the # sign at the end. They called this an octothorp (if that is what it is, they know English better than me): 123456#

Once the code is accepted, the nice lady says "your passcode is correct". Once she says that, you're in. What is confusing about their instructions here is the fact they only talk about turning switches on and off but show the picture from step 6, option 1. It makes it seem that you can "ignore" a switch like you can with a text message, but I don't think you can.

Once your passcode is accepted, you simply hit the number of the switch and either an asterisk to turn it on or the switch number and a pound sign to turn it off. You can do this as many times as you want. So, to turn all 3 on, you type in;

1*2*3*

You want them off; 1#2#3#

When you are all done with the phone call, simply hit *# and she will say "good-bye". Hope this helps...

Thank you Houman! You won't be forgotten.

Great pirep pal. I will have one on Saturday.

I ordered the same unit as Houman & Marauder from Amazon. It arrived from China fairly quickly.  It had a loose part inside the case. It is some surface mount component I don't know how to identify.   I looked around and could not find an obvious spot where the component was attached. 

Bottom of unit is different than the pictures on amazon. It does not have the non US frequencies on it.

I used an ATT sim from AlarmSIM. 

Works ok in NY.

Edited by JaredDavis

• 10 months later...

I ordered one of these last year when this thread was active.  It has sat on the corner of my desk since.  I just got a sim card from US Mobile and used Marauder's instructions to get it up and running.  Thanks Marauder!  I am almost looking forward to the MN winter ahead.  

The Sim card from US Mobile was $3.99 and monthly (contract free) rate is $7.00.  That gives me 100 texts and 100 mins talk per month.  I could save a few dollars/month and have just text only.  I'll see how it goes.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, larryb said:

Make sure you buy a 3G cellswitch. ATT is turning off the 2G system this year. Tmobile in 2020. A 2G switch will be a paperweight soon. Many/most of the systems out there are 2G.

Larry

I think US Mobile uses Tmobile's network.  So I should be good untill 2020?  I hope.  I'll need a new cell switch and ADBS transponder. 

Here's my GSM remote box with two 30 amp relays. I did all the wiring so I can control both relays independently. I use it to control my batteryminder and preheater from my iphone.

I bought the box online a couple of years ago for around 75$ iirc. I paid 10$ for the sim card from tmobile. It works like a charm!

IMG_1385.PNG

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2015 at 5:24 PM, carl said:

I love this HA HA

• "Wireless remote control water heaters, electric motors, electric doors, lights, fans, rice cookers and other appliances by your smart phone"

I need a rice cooker I can start when I'm not around!

If you are not around someone is going to eat your rice.

I have a Nest thermostat that can be controlled from your cell phone. It works very well and gives you info on the cell phone about A/C usage. It can be locked so family members can not change your settings.

https://store.nest.com/product/thermostat?selectedVariantId=T3007ES

José

• 2 weeks later...

Most of these cellular switches use the same GSM module that only works on the 2G network. AT&T has said they will shut down their 2G network at the end of the year. T-Mobile uses the same GSM technology and has said they will maintain their 2G network until at least 2020. 

If AT&T isn't working now it might just be a coverage issue but it isn't going to matter in a month. The good news is you should be able to use a T-Mobile SIM card in your switch. 

2 minutes ago, mooniac15u said:

Most of these cellular switches use the same GSM module that only works on the 2G network. AT&T has said they will shut down their 2G network at the end of the year. T-Mobile uses the same GSM technology and has said they will maintain their 2G network until at least 2020. 

If AT&T isn't working now it might just be a coverage issue but it isn't going to matter in a month. The good news is you should be able to use a T-Mobile SIM card in your switch. 

awesome.. just got it to work with a T-Mobile SIM card!  Tomorrow I will go hook it up at the hanger and test. This will save me a ton of trips the night before I want to fly to turn on the heater... woo hoo.

• Like 2

awesome.. just got it to work with a T-Mobile SIM card!  Tomorrow I will go hook it up at the hanger and test. This will save me a ton of trips the night before I want to fly to turn on the heater... woo hoo.

Don't forget to say "Hallo" to the nice lady that answers the phone call.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...