Parts for brakes on the right side

kommers

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2019 at 2:34 PM, Eduleo said:

Using it for instruction, maybe?

Initially, I wanted it for my wife. She received some Mooney training, and as I am getting older, I wanted her to be able to handle Mooney landing in case of possible emergency with me. Also, I want her and another guy to fly in the left seat but this would be illegal since none of these two are certificated pilots and I cannot act as PIC in the right seat since I don't have complete control over the plane with brakes not present on the right side.

Not sure I understand completely.... But...

Many people that fly with a significant other.... set up that Significant other person with a training called ‘right seat ready’....

The objective is all about saving the lives of the people on board... not so much the sheet metal...

The way this is done... no brakes required...   :)

Now... if that training works out... and more training is desired... use of the brakes is something that is learned in anyone’s first lesson...

Often 60hrs gets used for the PPL... approximately 15 minutes for brakes...

Overall... don’t let not having brakes get in the way of learning the other 99% of the things that will keep the sunny side up...

That leaves plenty of time to collect and plan the install of the right side brakes...

Age is just a number... we have at least one MSer that had a heart challenge (while out for a jog)... he was in his mid 40s... still here, and recommends the right seat ready course... health issues don’t generously wait for us to get really old... :)

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Never heard of "right seat ready" training. I even asked my instructor, he just shrugged.  Sounds too exotic for Georgia. Maybe, it is available in New Jersey? :) Also, it is not about just my wife. I fly with others, too and wanted to be able to control Mooney from the right seat. I am confident about my abilities to land the plane from the right seat (have done it before). but not sure that the guy in the left seat will be able to use the brakes properly. Again, from what I know in my situation, letting someone else, who is not certificated on complex aircraft, to fly in the left seat is illegal. Illegal, because  officially, I don't have a complete control over aircraft.

With that said, I almost landed a deal with another guy on Mooneyspace who had the right brakes a couple of years ago. Alas, he either changed his mind or forgot, I never heard from him again. If someone is ready to offer me the brakes, he will certainly make my new year.

thanks

Edited by kommers
error

On 11/19/2019 at 6:19 AM, j3gq said:

Would you please tell us a little bit why you want brakes on the right side.
A J model lands on under 200 yards in almost all conditions, and steering doesn't need brakes at all.

Just curious. 

Because he wants them...….  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Alan Fox said:

Because he wants them...….  

Exactly! Math and physics, as well as Mooney landing distance have no influence on my wishes. Consider me irrational, this is is probably true in this case, but I do want right side pedals for 20J, or better yet, the entire kit :rolleyes:

Edited by kommers

2 hours ago, kommers said:

Exactly! Math and physics, as well as Mooney landing distance have no influence on my wishes. Consider me irrational, this is is probably true in this case, but I do want right side pedals for 20J, or better yet, the entire kit :rolleyes:

i have right side brakes and love them. But then again we are two pilots, husband and wife, and I fly exclusively from the right seat - my leg or not.

But to get your right brakes, if you wait for someone to contact you with a kit, I bet the odds are slim to none. If your serious, use your IPC to develop a parts list and start calling the salvage yards to find what you can. All new parts from the factory is very expensive. But the challenge is that most co-pilot side brake parts are unique except for a pair of Master cylinders so you're really looking for salvage yard that has a J or K with right hand brakes. Start with Paul Lowen's Salvage. You might also find longbody's have some of the parts you need to after you get your parts list together. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, kortopates said:

i have right side brakes and love them. But then again we are two pilots, husband and wife, and I fly exclusively from the right seat - my leg or not.

But to get your right brakes, if you wait for someone to contact you with a kit, I bet the odds are slim to none. If your serious, use your IPC to develop a parts list and start calling the salvage yards to find what you can. All new parts from the factory is very expensive. But the challenge is that most co-pilot side brake parts are unique except for a pair of Master cylinders so you're really looking for salvage yard that has a J or K with right hand brakes. Start with Paul Lowen's Salvage. You might also find longbody's have some of the parts you need to after you get your parts list together. 

thank you. I knew that my chances were next to nothing. I might try junkyards, after all

On 1/2/2020 at 7:39 AM, kommers said:

Never heard of "right seat ready" training. I even asked my instructor, he just shrugged.  Sounds too exotic for Georgia. Maybe, it is available in New Jersey? :) Also, it is not about just my wife. I fly with others, too and wanted to be able to control Mooney from the right seat. I am confident about my abilities to land the plane from the right seat (have done it before). but not sure that the guy in the left seat will be able to use the brakes properly. Again, from what I know in my situation, letting someone else, who is not certificated on complex aircraft, to fly in the left seat is illegal. Illegal, because  officially, I don't have a complete control over aircraft.

With that said, I almost landed a deal with another guy on Mooneyspace who had the right brakes a couple of years ago. Alas, he either changed his mind or forgot, I never heard from him again. If someone is ready to offer me the brakes, he will certainly make my new year.

thanks

We present a 1 and 2 day format teaching right and back seat non-pilots what to do in case of emergency. Toured with AOPA to their regionals, will be offered at MooneyMAX Longview TX and West Coast Mooney Fly-In Sunriver Oregon in June.  http://mooneygirls.com/right-seat-ready.html

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I am in the market to add co-pilot side brakes to my 68 E if anyone can help. I like to know what models will work and part numbers if available. I currently know where thee is a set of R model brake pedals but do not know if they will fit. Any help?

Bob

On 11/24/2021 at 7:55 PM, Bob R said:

I am in the market to add co-pilot side brakes to my 68 E if anyone can help. I like to know what models will work and part numbers if available. I currently know where thee is a set of R model brake pedals but do not know if they will fit. Any help?

Bob

R model brake pedals and master cylinders will work.  I have them in my 68F.  You might need to do some paperwork.  I did it using a DER.

John Breda

Is there a resource or repository that may contain the parts list for the conversion kit. I also would like to add brakes to the right side of my E, one quote I got was "assuming we could even find the kit, it would be over 12K installed" which I thought was ridiculous. For 12K I could literally replicate the parts, create drawings for them, have them manufactured and then have them installed.

2 hours ago, AerostarDriver said:

Is there a resource or repository that may contain the parts list for the conversion kit. I also would like to add brakes to the right side of my E, one quote I got was "assuming we could even find the kit, it would be over 12K installed" which I thought was ridiculous. For 12K I could literally replicate the parts, create drawings for them, have them manufactured and then have them installed.

Possibly a Mooney dealer. However, when I was putting together a parts list to put J control wheels on my E, I was lucky enough to get Mooney to provide me the part numbers. 

all part #’s are listed in your airframe IPC, but you’ll find almost all except for master cylinders are Mooney specific parts.
after you build up a list of parts, your most affordable source will probably be salvage yards. For older vintage mooney there are plenty of salvage mooney’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, kortopates said:

all part #’s are listed in your airframe IPC, but you’ll find almost all except for master cylinders are Mooney specific parts.
after you build up a list of parts, your most affordable source will probably be salvage yards. For older vintage mooney there are plenty of salvage mooney’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, found a pair of R pedals. I’m pretty sure the right side master cylinder would be the same E model which off the top of my head is a 10-24D. Don't quote me on that though.

Thanks for the help.

26 minutes ago, Bob R said:

Yes, found a pair of R pedals. I’m pretty sure the right side master cylinder would be the same E model which off the top of my head is a 10-24D. Don't quote me on that though.

Thanks for the help.

10-24D were used years later for the larger double puck brakes systems on the longbody's and the Encore but have been out of production for years, they were a proprietary MC made only for Mooney - they're hard to find but Mooney has been using newer MC's for years. 

On 11/28/2021 at 3:40 PM, Bob R said:

Sorry. DER?

Designated Engineering Representative.   These are  people who are recognized to make engineering decisions in the FAA's stead.   They like this because it keeps them out of the decision-making process,  lightens the workload,  and theoretically lightens the liability.

John Breda